Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Was it an easy decision to make?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you always known you wanted to homeschool or did something in the public school system cause you choose this path?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
luvemboth
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I never thought about it until we moved out of state and realized how bad the schools are out here. They're flat broke and are only concerned with passing the standardized test. Dd wasn't being challenged at all. Once realizing that, the decision wasn't hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I definitely considered home schooling when my first was born. However, I was not confident in my abilities and had too many negative influences about how weird they are and how socially inept they are vs. Public schooled kids. After putting my oldest into two years of public school (pre k and K) and realizing that he hated it and cried every morning toward the end of the year; I decided to consider home scool once more. Also he wasn't doing as well in PS. The teacher kept insisting that he is gifted and talented but yet he wasn't able to read or do simple addition/subtraction problems that the other kids could do. HE was supposedly the top of the class but yet these other kids could read a book by themselves. What gives? Well seh had labeled him and just thought that he would do fine on his own. We got his test scores back and he is not gifted and talented. Advanced? Yes, gifted and talented, no.
Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM

We NEVER wanted to homeschool. That was disgusting to us. I honestly believed a woman in my knitting group to be a freak because she unschooled her children. Then a kid brought a gun to school and took my daughters classroom hostage. The school did not call any of the parents during the whole thing or afterwards. My daughter called me collect from a pay phone in the teachers lounge that she snuck in to. She said "Mommy the new boy tried to kill us just now. Please come get me. I want to go home." I showed up and took my daughter from the office and across the hall to the superintendant that was in the same building. I screamed till I couldn't speak and pulled all of my children out of the public school system that day. I was told by a counselor that my daughter has to learn to deal with things like this. I told her that I would rip out her cold dead heart if she stayed in front of me and she needs to learn to deal with that. I left to find kids outside walking home against the schools permission. They were marked as skipping school. I did numerous trips to bring as many kids home as I could find. Every time I drove back I found more just leaving. The kids knew better than to stay when the school would NOT call their parents. My daughter was in 6th grade ! The kids were 11-14. It was disgusting. My heart aches for the boy who did this because he was being abused horribly at home and in school. I am disgusted more with the actual school.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't know I always wanted to HS, but I always knew I wanted something other than PS. I hadn't clearly set out to do HS, but when my DS was about 3-4 I had him evaluated by a friend who tests kids to go from head start to k, and he was testing at about a first grade level. I was shocked as I hadn't thought of all the fun stuff we had been doing as 'school'...so we became HSers by accident! Lol

mom2Bellarose
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I never thought about homeschooling until private school fell through, for a few different reasons. Even before having my kids I knew public wasn't for us. We tried it for a week and it lived up to everything I knew it was. For some reason I struggle from time to time wondering if I'm making the right choice. It only takes a second for me to remember all the reasons why I've chosen this path of education for my daughters. I think outside influences cause me to question it sometimes. We live in a super small town that is built around the local PS. This town lives for the PS in it. Home schoolers are non-existent here. Sometimes it's hard being so unique lol but I want better for my children.

mom2Bellarose
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Oh wow this just sent shivers down my spine. I would have done the exact same thing. SO sad.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

We NEVER wanted to homeschool. That was disgusting to us. I honestly believed a woman in my knitting group to be a freak because she unschooled her children. Then a kid brought a gun to school and took my daughters classroom hostage. The school did not call any of the parents during the whole thing or afterwards. My daughter called me collect from a pay phone in the teachers lounge that she snuck in to. She said "Mommy the new boy tried to kill us just now. Please come get me. I want to go home." I showed up and took my daughter from the office and across the hall to the superintendant that was in the same building. I screamed till I couldn't speak and pulled all of my children out of the public school system that day. I was told by a counselor that my daughter has to learn to deal with things like this. I told her that I would rip out her cold dead heart if she stayed in front of me and she needs to learn to deal with that. I left to find kids outside walking home against the schools permission. They were marked as skipping school. I did numerous trips to bring as many kids home as I could find. Every time I drove back I found more just leaving. The kids knew better than to stay when the school would NOT call their parents. My daughter was in 6th grade ! The kids were 11-14. It was disgusting. My heart aches for the boy who did this because he was being abused horribly at home and in school. I am disgusted more with the actual school.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM
I never wanted to hs. But I kind of did when our kids were little, I'm a teacher at heart so I have been teaching them naturally forever. I sent them to public school and they both went to preschool too. I LOVE the kindergarten in our town-I work there now! It was great for both of them. When ds went to 2nd grade and I met with the teacher and principal like 8 times that year, I realized I wasn't as fond of ps as I thought. I started considering hs but not seriously.

When ds was going to enter 5th grade last year (middle school here) his father (we are divorced) sent me a long email about hsing. I understood everything he was saying but that "social" part and the stigma kept nagging at me. And ds really likes school. But he is never challenged enough and expectations aren't any higher for him than the rest if his class even though they should be.

And my stepdaughter is in 4th grade and starting to have trouble with friends and is distracted by boys and everything else. Most days after school, I have to reteach her math so she can do her homework. She has actually asked to hs on her own.

So DH and I have decided we will try to make it work. I really feel like its the right choice for us, but we are used to me working. I don't make very much though so I'm hoping to find a more flexible way to replace that income.

I also have been getting more nervous about standardized tests, the common core, and just others in general having more influence on my kids than I do. I am hoping that hsing can teach them the basics, but also more morals and values as well as more of why our country was founded and what it stands for, that seems to be getting lost more and more.
leighp1
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We started out homeschooling my older dd for preschool before they had the free preschool here.  I loved it and my dd loved it.  She went to PS and had no problems with it.  I did want to keep hs her, but everyone wanted her to go to school (and she wanted to go to school too).  Then came along my little one (she isn't little any more though).  She went to preschool and then went to school until the 4th grade.  She started getting migraines at school we think because of the stress and she started having other problems.  She was diagnosed with Selective Mutism and Social Phobia.  The schools around here do not understand it and just think she doesn't want to talk. Anyhow, pulled her out and got her diagnosed and for us it was the best thing that could have happened.   She loves being home and learning on her own time schedule. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I always wanted to HS, but hubby thought homeschool kids were weird.   When our first was getting close to school age, though, we were financially struggling and not in a great school district.   The year BEFORE she went in, we already had problems with the principal and his saying one thing one day and saying the exact opposite the next.  However, we let it go.  

Then, when we went to enroll her in Kindy, they said they were too full and she would have to be bussed to their school, get onto another bus and be bussed to a school on the other side of the district that wasn't too full.   This other elementary was a horrible one, even though it was the same district, it has some serious issues, and I didn't want her seperated from the neighborhood kids that she knew and played with already.

We told them that we were considering HSing her, and they basically told us that it was our right to mess up our child.   However, one lady said, "Don't keep her out too long, because it will be too hard to fix your mistakes when you finally bring her back."

Anyway, this is SUCH a long story...   So we K-12ed her (charter school) because it was free in the state of Ohio.   Halfway through the year, hubby accepted a job back in Missouri where he was from and we moved only to be told that Missouri doesn't support K12 as a paid for option, so we had to drop K12.   I also started babysitting and hubby pushed to have her in public school.

So, we public schooled for a bit, but then she started having all kinds of social and emotional problems.   After two years, we pulled her back out because she was talking about wanting to die and her work and homelife was severely affected.   We have been recovering ever since.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I fell in love with homeschooling when my moms best friend homeschooled her youngest back in the 80's when the trend was to medicate all the fidgety little boys. They only did it till a spot opened up at the private school, but I was hooked, even as a young teenager. My own ps experience was painful and tedious, so I was intrigued by the possibility of life without school. I was a single working mom for 9 yrs, so I thought I'd lost the opportunity. (back then I didn't know you could still hs and work) THen I married a man who said no child of his would ever go to public school. So I had a kid in public high school and two little ones hsing.I have loved every minute of it and thank God that He gave me a husband who shared my convictions about kids being at home where they belong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)