Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Was it an easy decision to make?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you always known you wanted to homeschool or did something in the public school system cause you choose this path?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

No, it took me almost 4 months to make the decision.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I wanted to homeschool, but I knew that DHs family would not approve.  We moved from No VA to South Western Pennsylvania so that our kids could go to a school in a community (living in NOVA we barely knew our neighbors and gangs were becoming a problem).  I had been a public school teacher until I had kids and thought that I could just supplement when they came home.  My oldest son was bullied over his lunch choices and could not eat, when brought to the teachers attention she said that if I sent him "normal" food he would not be bullied.  They did not write their own lesson plans but followed the lesson plans of the 1st grade "chair".  They were required to stay with the slowest child in the district (17 classes of 1st graders or about 340 kids) and so my oldest began to get in trouble for talking.  I finally decided MIL be darned I needed to do what was best for our kids.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I tried homeschooling for preschool with my oldest and I loved it.  She wanted to try public school, so I said ok, homeschooling probably will not be an option then. After 6 months in public school we moved, I decided to use CAVA for the last couple of months and start her back in a classroom the following year.

I gave her the choice and asked her why.  She said she would go back to a classroom, because that is where Mommies and Daddies send their kids to get a break and she loved helping other kids.  When I asked where she learned more she said home.  I was crying at the end of this talk, because I did not want her to feel that way.

Next year we are leaving CAVA and striking out on our own with my amazing 7 year old.  Her 6 year old sister wants to stay with CAVA and will if we do not move in with my husbands parents, which is a very slim chance.  If we do then she will be homeschooling with us, minus the public school system.

8timesmom
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

My husband and I discussed hs when we dated and even went to a hs conference for a date.  When we married and were pregnant with our first child we invited the parents from our church to our home to hear a guest hs mom speak about homeshooling and everyone (6 families) homeschooled after that meeting including us!

Truluv4ever
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM
It was a very easy choice to make!! We had major problems with the middle school here!! We have a younger daughter that is suppose to move up to that school this fall, she wants to try it, so we'll see!?!?
HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

For me it was a conglomeration of things.

I have always liked the idea of Homeschooling. But I admit I had serious doubts about my ability to teach my child.. and my ability to not go insane!

But when my son(J) was in 1st grade and 2nd grade he started gradually floundering and just not wanting to come to school.. I attributed it to general "KID" I hate school stuff.. But last year in 3rd grade my son who had been told infront of me by the principle that he was "Doing 4th grade level Math work" at the end of 2nd... Suddenly was failing math.. I asked them to get him some remedial help.. I found it strange that he needed it but his grade was now making him change classes and rooms etc and I thought maybe he was just overwhelmed.. So when they said give it another quarter.. I was like..ok. But by half way through the year he was failing with 40's and 50's.. I started demanding he get remedial help.. They told me "We don't have a spot open and we don't really think he is trying" So I bought math books and started working with him every night... Well his grades went up.. but only to 60's I was not satisfied with that.. I wanted him to completely understand his work.. Well they had left addition and subtraction and were working on multiplication and division. He didn't understand it..because he didn't have his basic math facts memorized.. and they kept saying "Oh we don't do that anymore.." And ds kept getting very upset when I tried as he was afraid he'd get in trouble for doing stuff differently than from the class. 

Well at half year mark he started failing social studies in addition to math.. So we started doing almost 3 hours a night of work trying to help him.. 

At 30 week mark he began failing English, and Social studies.. In addition to his math which he had failed all year long..

By then we were spending EVERY WEEKEND on studies and every night.. He would cry and get mad about not having time to play and I felt bad. But I was intending to help him.. 

After school was over they had a final parent teacher conferance.. The teacher handed me his report card.. and all his grades for 4th quarter were 95+ 

I was like.. WTF How can a kid who has been failing all year pull a math grade of 95 suddenly at the end.. So I asked her to show me the work.. validating this numerical grade.. AT WHICH POINT SHE SAID.."Oh he didn't get that by work.. I just gave it to him so he could stay with his classmates.."

At that moment I about FLIPPED OUT! I knew he would fail all year this year too.. Because she had wanted to give him the grades he needed so he didn't fail..

In addition to all that this teacher had been let go.. So having all her student's pass ment it looked better to any other schools who might hire her.. HER "RATING" of passing studenst was not lowered.. But then again my son's class had only been 7 kids.. If you can't teach 7 kids what kind of a teacher are you?

The Campus that my son was also being closed down and the Principle had been terminated at 30 week mark. 

So with all this crap going on.. I Just decided if the "Professionals" were screwing up this much.. I had to be an improvement..

smile During this school year.. We have gone back and re-learned our addition, subtraction and multplication facts.. In addition to measurements in both metric and standard form and are now working on graph's and other stuff. WITH A 89% AVERAGE I MIGHT ADD! :) I have worked with him and we went back and re-done both 3rd grade and now 4th grade in www.clp.org Curriculum.. Which is very similar to Saxon math

Social studies is a bit behind.. But still has an 80% grade and we will be working on it during summer.. 

And His English is improving but slowly.. My son HATES writing! still has an 80% though.. 

I only use mastery learning curriculums.. wink

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I still struggle with my decision. I'm a worrier by nature and I worry all the time that I'm failing him. I love this group though. You ladies in here have honestly gave me confidence that I so desperately needed to continue at one point.

This wasn't something we planned to do but we just couldn't find a house in a different school district and are not going to send him to the district we are in now. More than half of the third graders are failing math and science according to state test scores.

Momof697
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

My DD was 1 and I just thought I would try homeschooling when she got old enough.  As she got old enough I felt God was calling us to homeschool. Now I know I will probably homeschool all my kids all the way through highschool.

oredeb
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM

ive always known i wanted to homeschool my kids, but didnt know what it was called or that there was a big following for it!

FootballFan12
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. The 12 is just the year I registered on cafemom. It was last year.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

First, I like your screenname unless the 12 is for brady ;)

I never thought I'd homeschool. We moved to California after my son was born & I knew there was no way I wanted to send him to the schools nearby. Now I love it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)