Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Was it an easy decision to make?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you always known you wanted to homeschool or did something in the public school system cause you choose this path?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Replies (31-37):
FootballFan12
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Thank you for all the comments. I am really learning a lot.

katinahat
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

My daughter is 18 months old and I already know that we want to homeschool. I am 100% certain. I was public, private, and homeschooled and I loved homeschooling, so I want the same for my daughter (the homeschooling, not the bouncing around).

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

sdgd21
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM
We have a really bad school system here, when you can no longer afford private schools and putting our kids in public schools was not working, We start looking for other options for school. I did not know that people still homeschooled so it was liberating.
coala
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

We knew we didn't want to use PS.  We did know that we wanted a better education.  We had planned on our DD going to private school, and then we got custody of my niece.  We knew tuition for both was just out of the question so we did some research and here we are.  We love this decision and it is working for both girls so well.

JCB911
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

My answer is similar to yours.  At 3 our DS was sounding out little words, knew colors, letters, sounds, numbers etc.  I couldn't imagine putting him is school, 2 years from then so he could learn all the stuff he already knew.

It's not something I always wanted to do, but since 2010 I started learning about it and seriously considering it.

He has a Sept. birthday, so misses the cutoff for K.  This year is technically preschool for him, and he's finished his 1st grade book and is doing some second grade reading. 

I remember being SO bored in school.  The teacher took SO much time explaining things countless times - it was mindnumbing.  I do remember, in elementary school, fighting back tears b/c I was so bored, and so sick of hearing the same thing over and over again.  The worst was when we had a test returned and she'd go over EVERY problem (what the correct answer was and why). I don't want my kids' time wasted like that -

Quoting KickButtMama:

I didn't know I always wanted to HS, but I always knew I wanted something other than PS. I hadn't clearly set out to do HS, but when my DS was about 3-4 I had him evaluated by a friend who tests kids to go from head start to k, and he was testing at about a first grade level. I was shocked as I hadn't thought of all the fun stuff we had been doing as 'school'...so we became HSers by accident! Lol

CafeMom Tickers

Walnutgrovefarm
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM

My two oldest were in ps and the whole time I wanted to hs them. By the time my youngest was ready for school he went to ps until 2nd grade, then I saw a huge difference in the teaching. It was so cookie cutter. I don't remember it being that way with my oldest. We pulled the youngest out and the other two wanted to complete their high school years. But they are very encouraging on continueing to hs my youngest.

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on May. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

We have wanted to HS since before we had DD but didn't know if it would be feasible. After having DD we've just decided it is the best option for her and even if we both work we can make HSing work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)