Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading for K and 1st grade

Posted by   + Show Post
I need suggestions for a reading program for my children. My son is graduating kindergarten and my dd is in pre-k. He reads on a 1st grade level. How do I keep him from falling behind and start her reading. My sil dd is the same age as mine and She's already reading on a 1st grade level. I feel so inadequate. My dd barely reads. I have just started the steps to HS.
by on May. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Replies (11-12):
trendy2
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I will be in va when I start. Then in another year we will be somewhere else.

Quoting usmom3:

If you do a Google search for "what my (place grade here) needs to know" you will find all kinds of information about what is learned at that level. What state are you in? Not all states have testing, you might be worrying for nothing if you are in a state like Texas that has no testing for homeschoolers.

Quoting trendy2:

I guess part of me is unsure of what they should be doing or what they should know at the end of my first year of HS.  What will they be tested on?  How will it affect my daughter with the testing if she is not reading? Maybe I am making it too hard on myself.  I'm afraid that they will fall behind.  Especially  my son. I have so many questions on what to teach and how to do it all!

coala
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

You have gotten some amazing answers and some that have answered questions that have puzzled me about my own kids.

I can tell you that I have one who just struggling ALL year with reading, mostly the comprehension.  I was ready to start having her tested for dyslexia.  She all of a sudden started reading and "getting it".  She is not flying through books yet, but her reading level is almost on par with her grade level.  She wants to read more difficult books.  I let her pick them up and then she decides that she isn't quite ready for them.

My 4 yo on the other hand is progressing light years ahead of her sister and is reading at nearly a 3rd grade reading level.  She is one of those kids that has picked it up early.  I just keep providing the books.

BTW if you hit Goodwill you will find a ton of books for 39 cents up to a 99 cents.  Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)