Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Laziness and taking advantage

Posted by   + Show Post

I think this will end up as 2 questions needing advice. 

First, I feel like I've been by my son's side SO much during his school work that he's become lazy and doesn't want to think if I leave his side.  It's frustrating because I need to be able to work with my younger son, but if I don't sit with the older then he will fiddle around or just put a wrong answer (throwing a fit when he has to be sent back over and over told to think and figure it out).  Anyone deal with this?  We really enjoy homeschooling and have a lot of fun with it, and I guess that's why I'm afraid to come down too hard on him over it because I don't want to take the fun out of it, but I want him to become an independant thinker too. 

Second - my younger son is almost 7 and just learning to read.  I tried many times to start teaching him for the past couple of years but he just wasn't ready.  Now he is and he's picking it up SO fast.  But when I give him something to read, knowing 100% that he KNOWS the words, he will throw fits saying he doesn't know them (while trying to hide his smirk with his hands).  So I left him at the table and told him to read it on his own and when he was ready to read it to me then let me know, otherwise don't get up.  It took a looooong time for him to stop his fit, but eventually he did and read it fine. 

Basically...my 2 have really been sucking the fun out of homeschooling lately lol!!!!  Again, I try to keep it fun.  We are light on the worksheets, heavy on hands on activities, projects, etc, so I hate to start being harsh like this, but I feel like they are becoming lazy and trying to take advantage of the situation.  Any thoughts or has anyone dealt with this? 

by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Replies (11-13):
celticdragon77
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I was planning on homeschooling year round. 4hr structured days with additional independent learning time. 4 days a week. A week off every so often throughout the year. How would I avoid my kids from getting burnt out?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Years of working in the public school system had taught me not to judge the way I feel at the end of the year!  At the beginning of a new year, if I were feeling like I couldn't do it, then I would worry.  Right now everyone is feeling the Blahs!

Quoting celticdragon77:

This is sooo true! You just named off just about everything my kids have mentioned / done in recent weeks or have planned - at public school. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sounds like the end of the year to me.  PS teachers all over the country are going through this right now.  The weather is turning nice, the countdown has begun, the kids are sick of being stuck inside.  You know what the ps teachers do at this time of year?  This is when they have their feild trips, they have their track and field days, they have their assemblies for fire safety and k-9 rescue dogs, they go on nature hikes, they have a DEAR (drop everything and read) day, they have awards assemblies, they play review games, they write their spelling words on the school sidewalks with chalk, they push all the desks back and have a "party" type activity (sometimes with food from the country they have been studying or they write a process and demonstrate the process to the class), they have spelling and grammar bees,  they play games like scrabble and appleletters.  It's time to get creative until you can take your break!

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Well, having 3 day weekends will help with that!  Also giving them a week or so to pick what they want to learn can help give them a boost of attention span.  Taking a day off of the most dreaded class often helps us too.  (The boys really hate spelling and writing!!)  Instead of taking a day off, we plan a field trip and take pictures to put in our portfolio, so we get a much needed break yet still count it as attendance.

We homeschool "year round" but we take a month in the summer to do all the great summer things like camp and hiking and we take a month at Christmas to do all those fun winter things like sledding and cookie baking!

Quoting celticdragon77:

I was planning on homeschooling year round. 4hr structured days with additional independent learning time. 4 days a week. A week off every so often throughout the year. How would I avoid my kids from getting burnt out?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Years of working in the public school system had taught me not to judge the way I feel at the end of the year!  At the beginning of a new year, if I were feeling like I couldn't do it, then I would worry.  Right now everyone is feeling the Blahs!

Quoting celticdragon77:

This is sooo true! You just named off just about everything my kids have mentioned / done in recent weeks or have planned - at public school. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sounds like the end of the year to me.  PS teachers all over the country are going through this right now.  The weather is turning nice, the countdown has begun, the kids are sick of being stuck inside.  You know what the ps teachers do at this time of year?  This is when they have their feild trips, they have their track and field days, they have their assemblies for fire safety and k-9 rescue dogs, they go on nature hikes, they have a DEAR (drop everything and read) day, they have awards assemblies, they play review games, they write their spelling words on the school sidewalks with chalk, they push all the desks back and have a "party" type activity (sometimes with food from the country they have been studying or they write a process and demonstrate the process to the class), they have spelling and grammar bees,  they play games like scrabble and appleletters.  It's time to get creative until you can take your break!

ablessedlife
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Around here the boys have become increasingly lazy too. We are nearing the end of the year and I don't want to drag it out or let things continue to be negative. (It is also partly because they are boys and partly because they are immature children.) Last night I was really thinking about it a lot. I have struggled with rewards and punishments, but I came up with something last night.
This morning I told the boys that we are all working too slowly and things must change. I got out a roll of tickets (used for door prizes) and for every job done in a speedy and satisfactory manner they will get a ticket. I wasn't sure what they will redeem those tickets for, but we are slowly coming up with ideas. I don't want to give out candy and my DH doesn't want to give out money. So there are other things to motivate them like time with Oma and Opa, a trip to town with Dad, a favour from Mom, etc. I just have to decide on the number of tickets for each "prize."

I used the tickets years ago just to reward them for jobs and they miss it. They were excited to see the tickets again. When we lived in the city they could get an ice cream when the ice cream wagon came by IF they had ten tickets in their envelope. This is one of their favorite memories of living there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)