Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Has anyone used Write Shop?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 0 Replies

Does anyone use or have anyone used Write Shop? I'm still looking through different curriculia for next year, and we're still waiting for my daughter to get evaluated to see if she's dyslexic or dysgraphic. I've looked at all the free samples I can get my hands on from them, and the other programs I've looked at, and I'm still at a stand still.
The more I look at the classical approach, the more I seem to be shying away from it.  Dictation is not her strong suit either, and she struggles with th little that we do with All About Spelling....Which puts my Writing With Ease a notch down on m "gotta get it" list. I've showed her Essentials in Writing (the other one up on the block) and my daughter hate the idea of it being DVD based. The one video we were able to preview did't go over so well. She lost interest in mere seconds, and then started picking the video apart... The though process of keeping it on the list was I watch it, take notes, and teach from that
With both of those programs, we'd still have to look at a grammar program which we again had two different ones picked out were First Lang. Lessons and Winston Grammar. Looking at Winston she knows all the different parts of the sentence and I could see her getting bored using the cards, and wth the other...
I don't think it will hold her interest and I feel really dumb looking at it too. I've never in my life had to diagram sentences, and even with an answer key, I don't think I could figure it out lol. If I can't understand it, the chances of me teaching it aren't that high either...

Which brings me back to Write Shop. Writing and Grammar all mixed together, and I didn't see any sign of the things that I'm shying away from in the others lol. I just don't know how advanced it is for each grade level. She'll be in 4th next year, but I almost think I'd still have to hold her back a grade for it since she struggles with writing so much.  Going back a level for that would put her at the Primary stage instead of Jr. I know after completeing the Jr level, she would be far from ready for the 6-10 grade level Write Shop... 
I'm assuming since it does cover such a broad grade range, it could be used again multiple years with different chosen topics?

Thanks in advanced (even for just reading this!!!)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN