Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

radical unschooling?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 27 Replies
My friend, who homeschools/unschools, and i were having a conversation today about unschooling, particular radical.unschooling. she said that for radical.unschooling they allow the kids to decide everything, from schooling, to eating habits, to sleeping etc. Now, i know for me that we do not use this method. I believe I as their mother, i am responsible for training them, and they shouldnt be handed complete control. I do think choices are important, but also as parents, we have wisdom to.offer them, and thet also have to be considerate of others around them, they cant do what they want whenever they want to. Plus, i refuse to make five different meals because everyone wants something different.

What is your perspective?

Also, to add: i dont think that there is a one size fits all for each family, or even each child. I know many successful unschoolers. One mom was pretty radical in it, whose children started.college during their highschool years. They werr even on the level of being genius. If she hadnt let them learn in that way they may have been very frustrated and may not have excelled as theu have.
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kat0038
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Well I believe in unschooling but not to that extreme. My kids seem to learn better when they choose what to learn and help pick out the books they learn from. But I certainly do not want to judge others on how they teach their kids. I am by all means not a expert on the subject.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Eh. It certainly isn't for us. On any level. To each their own :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM

We don't fall in the category of "radical" unschoolers but we are unschoolers that have very few rules. We haven't always been that way we used to have so many rules that I think the kids where afraid to breath sometimes for fear of breaking a rule. We have learned that the more power the kids have over their lives the morethey are willing to work with us instead of against us. Our house is a lot more peaceful now that we have done this change, as well as doing away with punishment & being more on top of needs getting meet!

Precious333
by Julia on May. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Especially with "type a" personalities i think givin more breathing room is so beneficial. There is a happu medium for everyone i belive. I certainly dont want to control my kids, but i have limits too.

Quoting usmom3:

We don't fall in the category of "radical" unschoolers but we are unschoolers that have very few rules. We haven't always been that way we used to have so many rules that I think the kids where afraid to breath sometimes for fear of breaking a rule. We have learned that the more power the kids have over their lives the morethey are willing to work with us instead of against us. Our house is a lot more peaceful now that we have done this change, as well as doing away with punishment & being more on top of needs getting meet!

Precious333
by Julia on May. 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely, and there isnt a one size fits all for each family, for each kid either!

Quoting Kat0038:

Well I believe in unschooling but not to that extreme. My kids seem to learn better when they choose what to learn and help pick out the books they learn from. But I certainly do not want to judge others on how they teach their kids. I am by all means not a expert on the subject.

Knightquester
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I don't know anybody that was radically homeschooled so since I'm ignorant on the matter I try not to judge.

As the children have grown older I allow more choices for them, but like you they have rules, boundaries and structure in their lives, which doesn't sound anything like a radical homeschooler.

Quote:

Precious333
by Julia on May. 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Thats what we do as well.

Quoting Knightquester:

I don't know anybody that was radically homeschooled so since I'm ignorant on the matter I try not to judge.

As the children have grown older I allow more choices for them, but like you they have rules, boundaries and structure in their lives, which doesn't sound anything like a radical homeschooler.

Quote:

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Unschooling means different things for different people. I am considered to be a radical unschooler by some in the community while others think I am tame.

Precious333
by Julia on May. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Unschooling in general can be radical for most people i believe.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Unschooling means different things for different people. I am considered to be a radical unschooler by some in the community while others think I am tame.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Some of what we do is unschooling, but we really need structure and curriculum to keep us going.  I have some medical/emotional stuff that is hereditary, which means my kids have been showing symptoms of struggling with the same crud.   Having a set curriculum helps us tremendously.

However, when we branch off from that or learn something on our own... we really see the benefits of that type of learning, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN