Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your biggest strength.. and weakness from this year?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 21 Replies

With the year just about over.. Lets look over our collective shoulders and find the good and the bad and the ugly..

As a group I think it will be helpful not only to admit to ourselves what has gone well.. and what has bombed!

Was it our issue... Was it the issue of the kids? 

And I think it will be uplifting to others to know that they aren't alone.. That they haven't "failed as a parent/homeschoolers"

by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Consistancy is my weakness.. All my life I was absolutely at odds with "schedules" Once I started homeschooling it became Imperitive!

My strength....Planning! I am a natural planner.. I want to have list's of to do's. Which is a great mesh for a schedule.. I found.. But the problem with the two things.. If my plan doesn't work out.. I get out of balance etc.. I am not flexible.. I need to learn flexibility..

I also need to learn to ENCOURAGE! My son poor boy definately knows when he has done something wrong.. But has a need to know when he has done things right! I was not brought up with encouragement and I have learned to my sorrow and shame how much that has hurt me and most of my family.. I don't want to pass that down to my son.

Another flaw this year is I love the math and Language art's from www.clp.org But OH HOW I HATE THEIR READING AND SOCIAL STUDIES.. It is like sporking out your eyeballs slow and painfully!

My plan for Improving Next Year: I will be using ABEKA Science, Social Studies, and Health this comming year.. 

And I will be using a Charlotte Manson Approach to reading.. He will be reading the classics... He has already read Robin Hood, The Secret Garden and Tom Sawyer!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM
My biggest flaw is procrastination. Ugg...I'm sitting here on CM when I should be doing my monthly reports.

Biggest win..going back to structured school time. I was trying to give the kids more freedom and more Homeschool laid back approach and it just doesn't work for them. Nothing was getting done at all.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

The beginning of the year we were definitely too laid back.  A lot of missed days, etc.  The second half of the year we got more consistent and it's produced some great results.  I need to work on getting started at an earlier time, just so we can make the most of the time we have.

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

My biggest flaw is procrastination. Ugg...I'm sitting here on CM when I should be doing my monthly reports.

Biggest win..going back to structured school time. I was trying to give the kids more freedom and more Homeschool laid back approach and it just doesn't work for them. Nothing was getting done at all.

Girl I feel you.. I had to take a break from Cafemom and Facebook earlier this year.. 

And yes.. I use a structured school time.. I am litterally doing school all the days the public school does.. To avoid the.. BUT THEY ARE OFF SCHOOL MOM... Fight..

And I am making him do 1 subject an hour.. 9=MATH 10=LANGUAGE ARTS 11= SOCIAL STUDIES 12=LUNCH 1=SCIENCE 2= READING 3 = CATCHUP WORK.. or if he is truely caught up.. play time!

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Quoting Pukalani79:

The beginning of the year we were definitely too laid back.  A lot of missed days, etc.  The second half of the year we got more consistent and it's produced some great results.  I need to work on getting started at an earlier time, just so we can make the most of the time we have.

Yep me too.. I am starting August 15th this year!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Our new routine is scool starts at 9 am...

You have 45 minutes per subject. Then a 15 minute break.  If you are done before the 45 minutes is up, it isn't added to your playtime (too hard to redirect) You get your 15 minute break and then start the next subject. 

I allowed video games during lunch the other day and didn't like the response so that is out again. No electronics until after school is done. 

Ian, my blessing with the issues right now, actually liked the structure instead of the free learning and told his therapit the same so we are sticking with it. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

We've actually decided to go year round this year and see how that works. 

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

Quoting Pukalani79:

Yep me too.. I am starting August 15th this year!

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

My biggest strength is following my children's interests and my own creativity.  I am very good at planning activities that help kids love learning.  I love seeing their eyes light up with excitement.

My biggest weakness is Amazon and staying organized.  I love buying books and new materials.  Another homeschool mom asked how I stay so organized.  I am great at organizing but have a hard time staying that way.  When I told my husband what she said he laughed out loud.  

I adopted a few new policies and I no longer have any difficulties while homeschooling my boys.  My only problems is too much stuff in a small area and time to do everything that we want to do.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Hmm, what worked - keeping to a llousy defined schedule. So we don't have strict schedules but from 10-3 we have no tv, computers or games - unless it's for education. This helped the kids keep on track!

what bombed? We didn't really have a bomb this year, but we've been at this for a decade now, so we kinda have things worked out!

the ugly - well, the kids hate that they have to have more chores, like they are our little slaves or something, but my vascular condition has been deteriorating, so I can not do much in the way of house work. This has made things difficult on a lot of levels. 

Things to work on for next year - well, for myself, I need to relax especially at co-op. I get really irritated when others don't finish something they say they will do, or blatant disrespect....by adults especially. I either have to learn how to not be bothered by passive aggressive-ness or quit the co-op. grrrr. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Hello Jen, my an,e is Shannon and I am a school supply junkie. It has been about 7 days since I had my last fix. But I am working on breaking the addiction! And I promissed DH that I'd weed through my stacks of books and sell some.....eep! LOL

Quoting jen2150:

My biggest strength is following my children's interests and my own creativity.  I am very good at planning activities that help kids love learning.  I love seeing their eyes light up with excitement.

My biggest weakness is Amazon and staying organized.  I love buying books and new materials.  Another homeschool mom asked how I stay so organized.  I am great at organizing but have a hard time staying that way.  When I told my husband what she said he laughed out loud.  

I adopted a few new policies and I no longer have any difficulties while homeschooling my boys.  My only problems is too much stuff in a small area and time to do everything that we want to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)