Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your biggest strength.. and weakness from this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

With the year just about over.. Lets look over our collective shoulders and find the good and the bad and the ugly..

As a group I think it will be helpful not only to admit to ourselves what has gone well.. and what has bombed!

Was it our issue... Was it the issue of the kids? 

And I think it will be uplifting to others to know that they aren't alone.. That they haven't "failed as a parent/homeschoolers"

by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I had mine yesterday.  I am teaching physics and a creative math class next year so this summer I am stocking up on some books.  I am anxiously awaiting my next real fix.  That precious package that comes in the mail.  It is called math in motion and it teaches math concepts by using oragami.  I can't wait to see it.  Patience is another one of my downfalls.  Let me know if you need some consolement during your dry spell.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Hello Jen, my an,e is Shannon and I am a school supply junkie. It has been about 7 days since I had my last fix. But I am working on breaking the addiction! And I promissed DH that I'd weed through my stacks of books and sell some.....eep! LOL

Quoting jen2150:

My biggest strength is following my children's interests and my own creativity.  I am very good at planning activities that help kids love learning.  I love seeing their eyes light up with excitement.

My biggest weakness is Amazon and staying organized.  I love buying books and new materials.  Another homeschool mom asked how I stay so organized.  I am great at organizing but have a hard time staying that way.  When I told my husband what she said he laughed out loud.  

I adopted a few new policies and I no longer have any difficulties while homeschooling my boys.  My only problems is too much stuff in a small area and time to do everything that we want to do.

celticdragon77
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I saw that math origami on math art fun .com (I think that's where) and it looked interesting. Let me know how it looks and goes for you all. 

Quoting jen2150:

I had mine yesterday.  I am teaching physics and a creative math class next year so this summer I am stocking up on some books.  I am anxiously awaiting my next real fix.  That precious package that comes in the mail.  It is called math in motion and it teaches math concepts by using oragami.  I can't wait to see it.  Patience is another one of my downfalls.  Let me know if you need some consolement during your dry spell.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Hello Jen, my an,e is Shannon and I am a school supply junkie. It has been about 7 days since I had my last fix. But I am working on breaking the addiction! And I promissed DH that I'd weed through my stacks of books and sell some.....eep! LOL

Quoting jen2150:

My biggest strength is following my children's interests and my own creativity.  I am very good at planning activities that help kids love learning.  I love seeing their eyes light up with excitement.

My biggest weakness is Amazon and staying organized.  I love buying books and new materials.  Another homeschool mom asked how I stay so organized.  I am great at organizing but have a hard time staying that way.  When I told my husband what she said he laughed out loud.  

I adopted a few new policies and I no longer have any difficulties while homeschooling my boys.  My only problems is too much stuff in a small area and time to do everything that we want to do.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

oahoah
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Our biggest strength was being in co-op which covered history & science & kept me focused, at least on those 2 subjects! Biggest drawback was/is me failing to get organized & being overwhelmed too easily! 

I have to say there are a couple strengths to this year though, writing, which was a big issue before because I was pushing it too much (mainly with my oldest, 8) and this year I just totally backed off and he is now writing on his own. Same goes for my 5 y/o, I wasn't even going to get him started with writing until next year and he has chosen, on his own, to write stories, make signs, make cards, etc; and the 3 y/o is wanting to read & write as well!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I think we need to continue to work on keeping electronics to a minimum and mom not getting off track when Nikki doesn't sleep.

Our biggest accomplishment was the strides we did make in our daily schedule. 8)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM

O. M. G!! I'm teaching a math class next semester, I'll have to check that out! Eek!!

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting jen2150:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM

This was our first year being able to be involved.   In previous years, I worked or ran daycare on top of homeschooling... either that or we just didn't make enough to do anything....

So... our strength was being involved in Choir, basketball, baseball, musical instrument, Bible Quizzing, Dramas, etc..  It was an amazing year for all of those extras that we've never had before.

Our weakness was the flip side.   I had a baby during the previous summer and we had JUST relocated for the second time in 11 months right before baby.   Money was tight at curriculum time, so I didn't have what I had been planning on and had to change stuff at the last minute.   So our weakness was the actual academics.  

I feel we barely moved forward academically this year.  However, I saw some progress and nothing fell behind... so we are still "all good."

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Me too. Hello Jen and Shannon, my name is Chandra and I am a school supply junkie. It has been less than 24 hours since my last fix!!! ;)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting jen2150:

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Let's see - I was kind of thrown into the the shark tank at the deep end of the pool this year, so it's been rough. We were not expecting to homeschool (though I now know, without a doubt, it is the best decision for us, at least for now) but I had no notice that it was going to happen then we made the decision to pull our then 5 year old out of the PS Kindergarten only 2 weeks into the school year (one of the "best" in the country!!) so I panicked!!!

The Good - 

The beginning was great - worksheets and school time very consistenly everyday, feeling like she was making progress. Finding LOTS of cool resources. 

She is doing 1st grade math, essentially, with some K stuff to reinforce. 

She is happy, and most days enjoys school.

I am great at planning out things, and BAD at implementation!!!

We are finding our footing and seeing what is working and what isn't.

We have found lots of homeschool support online, but not a ton locally - they exist, they are just not a good "match" for us.

Her afterschool program - 2 days a week, 2 classes each day - have been AWESOME for socialization, fun, and downtime for Mommy!! She has had yoga, art, science, theatre arts, swimming, tap dance, Zumba, etc. I will MISS that over the summer (even though we will be going year round!)

The BAD - 

My health and My energy levels (due to chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia) so I feel like I am totally letting her down, and that she will fall behind her PS peers - only really matters if SHE decides to go back in a year or so. 

Procrastination - I am terrible about putting things off - sometimes due to fatigue, or frustration, but sometimes just because I don't feel like it!

Consistency - we do not really have a super consistent routine, and I think we need more structure for next year.

Lack of a real "curriculum" - this year we have used Time4learning, and Reading Eggs. LOTS of worksheets, and resources I found online or created myself. We also used ABC Mouse till she got bored with it.

Disoganization - till a few weeks ago, I had nowhere to keep things for homeschooling,  and papers, projects, and ideas were spread all over our townhome!

Overall I guess I feel we are doing okay, but I do feel I am failing her, that she is not really learning all that she should have this year, and that we need to play catch up. I have done one or two assessments, and overall she is doing okay, I think it is probably my own fear! I need to finish the assessments, make notes on what she needs help with and work on those things - but time and energy (and motivation this time of year) just isn't there! I suppose she will survive!

energygirl
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:59 AM
1 mom liked this

this is a good post....it is good for me to read others thoughts.....because I can easily get caught up in the idea that everyone else has it "all together all the time" lol.  My mind knows that is not logical...but yet I sometimes get caught up in thinking it.  Let's see.....strength this year....staying on track with what I wanted to have taught.....feel like I covered all the material I wanted to....and that I did alright with gathering the resources I needed for this year and next.  Weakness....since my daughter had a late birthday...she did K this year (and was 6 when the year started) so a lot of things came easy for her.....I think I need to work more on encouraging her when she did have a harder time with some concepts.....  Also a weakness is that I didn't stay as consistant with my morning quiet times with the Lord before school.  (not for everyone...but it is something I planned to do...and wanted to keep first and priority).  I am hoping to get that area back on track over the summer when there are less morning things to do.  I also spent less time with my other kids "playing".....once school was done each day then I get in "task mode" and see all the household things that need done...so I rush through quality time with the other kids....need to work on that.  Maybe that will come easier nextyear when my second one starts school too...so he has that undivided one on one time.....

Energygirl :)
coala
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Staying organized is my weakness since my youngest started in January.  My strength is in my ability to plan and manage the kids time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN