Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What types of incentives do you use?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

What type of incentives do you use at home?

For instance, if they are being resistant to a lesson that needs to be done? Or on  the flip side, what about consequences?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM

There are no lessons that really need to be done at that moment. I have back up ways to learn everything we are doing.   If my kids don't want to do a lesson then I ask for suggestions.  How would you like learn it?  What are your ideas?  If it is chores then i give them option and ask them to visualize what would happen if we never cleaned our room  Sometimes I even help them with their chores.  The upside is when I am doing something I will ask for their help.  I stress the benefit of learning and working together.  I used to have trouble with complaining but I adopted the following policy that made all the difference.  Complaining is not allowed.  If you want to do something different then just ask.  I am open to knew ideas.  Part of the beauty of homeschooling is flexibility.  I know this method is not for everything but it really works for us.  I try to concentrate more on motivation and interest than just doing a task.  

celticdragon77
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I have been thinking about this. School work is listed as a chore that earns money for my kids. I don't really have any other incentive. Though I have read a lot of common issues on these forums and tried to come up with proactive solutions. Like mixed learning styles, short lessons, engaging lessons, allowing my kids to give feedback and construct a day that works for them. My kids sat and helped create our schedule. They didn't want to read too much at one time (go from science, English, and social studies). So we found activities to do in between. They wanted math first in the day with yoga. They wanted a nature walk after science. They decided on reading at the park down the street - and then a snack time and riding bikes. After that is English, then art / music. Then history. They want to do math twice, so we end the day with that. Then independent time. They don't have a schedule for it, but a list of optional activities (computer, reading, projects, doing a play, creating / building something, art, etc). Then in the evening, I read to them (or they read), whatever they want. I am hoping just learning is an incentive. I really want them to love the learning environment here. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

maggiemom2000
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We do workboxes. Every day I set up their boxes with their assignments. They are required to complete all of their school work and their chores before they can have their free choice computer time each day. They can decide what to do when for the most part (if it is something they need to do with me then I'll often say, news a good time!) 

There's no arguing or hassling, you don't do it, you don't get your computer time!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

First, we do child led learning, so I rarely push. I don't believe in punishing them for not ccosting their work. Especially since a lot of childhood procrastination can be due to the lesson not being appropriately matched to the student - too hard, too easy, too boring, etc. but, I also want to teach responsibility, so we do Behavior Bucks. All their DS', Wii, TV plugs, etc, are all kept in my bedroom closet. By doing their chores, doing their school work, etc. they can earn fictional Bucks, then they can use said bucks to RENT these fun things from me for 24 hours. After that, if they want to play their games again, they again have to earn enough bucks. We started this to teach them about economics and savings, but it ended up being a great behavioral tool! 

oredeb
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

if its stubbornness, and not something healthwise or the attitude is wrong, spankings are the consequence,

if its resistance i try to find out why the resistance, and go from there, either changing the way we are doing it, or something!

if they are bickering and arguing amongst themselves, it will cost them money

FootballFan12
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for the input. I think taking bits and pieces from all of your and putting something into motion will work for us.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM

It really depends. If it is just being stubborn, just to not have to do work, I set time limits and then remove privileges. If maybe they just are bored with my approach or something, I try to switch things up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN