Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Books on HS

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Anyone have any suggestions on easy to read and interesting books on the subject of HS?  I have found a lot out there but I am still unsure of what and how I am going to teach.  Just need something to get me going in the right direction.

by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

You will find the what & how from learning what your children learning styles are & using the things they are interested in as your matterial & tools.

trendy2
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Maybe I am making this too hard on myself.  I don't know what I should be teaching.  It's my understanding that at the end of the "school" year my children will need to take a test or be evaulated.  What should I be teaching them in order for them to "pass" this test or evalution?

Quoting usmom3:

You will find the what & how from learning what your children learning styles are & using the things they are interested in as your matterial & tools.

celticdragon77
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

What state are you in?

trendy2
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I am in NC (which is my permanent residence) but next month we are going to start traveling with my husband.  We will be in VA for a few months until he moves to another job with his company.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What state are you in?

celticdragon77
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Wow. I thought my state requirements were set high. Yours are set higher - and are at times complicated. For example, you can't homeschool in more than two households. If you want to travel, they say you can't file the intent to homeschool notice to them (I can't find what you would do), they specify that you have to homeschool during normal hours of operation - made me laugh till I realized this could get messy if they saw your child out during school hours :/ 

http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.aspx

Your laws do not specify what to teach. Mine have a very general guideline and I wanted to if yours did. It can't that I am able to see. However, it does "recommend" that you talk to the local district for ideas. So, if I were you, because they seem so strict, I would at least look online at your schools curriculum just to see what they are teaching the kids for the grade levels your kids are in. You also have state testing every year, so keep that in mind. 

Your state requires that you document every thing and save all records. 

Quoting trendy2:

I am in NC (which is my permanent residence) but next month we are going to start traveling with my husband.  We will be in VA for a few months until he moves to another job with his company.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What state are you in?

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Go on amazon books - and start searching whatever you want to know. Examples: Homeschool books, 4th grade math, fractions, how to teach phonics - or just search phonics, teacher books. Also, search their listmania section, their education section, and every time you look at a product page - look at the other suggested materials.

Do google searches, look at a lot of stuff, get an idea of what all is out there. The learning styles, the homeschool methods, teaching styles, philosophy's, techniques... And think about it - what makes sense to you and your children. Talk to them, show them options, get their feedback... 

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

trendy2
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Is that NC or VA?  Where did you read all that?

Quoting celticdragon77:

Wow. I thought my state requirements were set high. Yours are set higher - and are at times complicated. For example, you can't homeschool in more than two households. If you want to travel, they say you can't file the intent to homeschool notice to them (I can't find what you would do), they specify that you have to homeschool during normal hours of operation - made me laugh till I realized this could get messy if they saw your child out during school hours :/ 

Your laws do not specify what to teach. Mine have a very general guideline and I wanted to if yours did. It can't that I am able to see. However, it does "recommend" that you talk to the local district for ideas. So, if I were you, because they seem so strict, I would at least look online at your schools curriculum just to see what they are teaching the kids for the grade levels your kids are in. You also have state testing every year, so keep that in mind. 

Quoting trendy2:

Quoting celticdragon77:

What state are you in?

celticdragon77
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

NC - you said traveling and permanent residency - so I went with NC laws.

We are in Pa but travel to Tx quite a bit every year, but I have to follow Pa laws. 

Did I misunderstand you? 

Quoting trendy2:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting trendy2:

Quoting celticdragon77:

What state are you in?

trendy2
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM
My understanding is that I will have to follow the laws of VA if we are there longer than a month. We will be there anywhere from two months to a year.

Quoting celticdragon77:

NC - you said traveling and permanent residency - so I went with NC laws.

We are in Pa but travel to Tx quite a bit every year, but I have to follow Pa laws. 

Did I misunderstand you? 

Quoting trendy2:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting trendy2:

Quoting celticdragon77:

What state are you in?

oredeb
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

as far as knowing what to teach thats easy! reading riteing rithmatic!! the 3 r's!!!hahah

how old are the kids?if preschool  just do some art and crafts they will learn, have fun,play, sing,

if ready to learn to read start with phonics and some art and crafts and maybe handwriting (if ready) , little math

if older and know how to read then go for

reading( literture, books) ,

language arts(grammar, writing, )

spelling(vocab),

math,

history

science

music

handwriting can be part of all of it or you can make some copybooks.

also theres health, a foriegn language, art and crafts,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)