Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

where to find used school items

Posted by   + Show Post

I need to find some school items not curriculum just classroom stuff in general....where can I look any ideas? anyone here have anything they want to sell? early elementary school

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Replies (21-26):
jeweldragons
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Craigslist

Ebay

Garage Sales

Maybe Goodwill or the Salvation Army

Look around online for used homeschool selling websites

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Our toys and therapy items ARE manipulatives. We have animal pieces which are binder clips (we call them bulldog clips) with zoo animal stickers I stuck to heavy cardstock, cut out, and laminated. They are clipped into the arms of the clips and the clips stand up. We use them for counting, fine motor, rudimentary addition and subtraction (it's a tough concept for him to grasp and I will not push him), and as game pieces in our homemade roll-and-go game or Candy Land. We also use flat marbles, the creatures from a DinoToob, my nail polish collection (TONS of little bottles lol), dried beans, foam shapes from our big bag of art foam, nuts and bolts, Lego (I think someone else made that suggestion), balls of cornstarch clay or air dry clay, and blueberries or raisins. I know many people use gummy bears, checkers, coins, and so on. I find that the things that stack together or snap together are more practical for many of our "more advanced" lessons, less messy, and less likely to cause outbursts of temper from my monkey, so Lego and foam shapes work beautifully there.

As I've said before in this group, LO doesn't like therapy most of the time, but as part of his custom tailored speech and OT, he has to be challenged frequently to grasp concepts and make progress. That means I have to sneak it in on him ALL.DAY.LONG, and it is a LOT of tasks for me to complete. Still, the only item he has that was specifically purchased as manipulatives is a set of plastic elephants that hook together, trunk to tail, and he received that as a gift from my wonderful ILs. Everything I buy for him has to, with intent and forethought, serve double duty or more, as school and play item, or as art supply and math manipulative and therapy aid, for instance. It really CAN get $$$ if you buy items for one specific function, even secondhand. (I might be more inclined to buy one trick ponies if I had more kids to school after the tyrant, though.)

All that said, please do yourself a favor and visit your local consignment stores. I worked at an upscale women's-and-children's consignment store all through high school and a little after, and we frequently had Lego, classroom supplies, intact board games, full craft kits, and many other homeschool-suitable items. Had I known then what I know now... Lol. Anyway, my best finds happen because I keep my want list with me. I have it on my phone and in my notebook that stays with me. When I peruse freecycle or craigslist, or hit a Walmart, Target, book fair, kid store, hobby shop, bookstore, yard sale, or secondhand store of any kind, out comes my very long list. It helps me to refrain from losing my mind and going BSC on the budget, too.
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Dear baby snakes! I am longwinded. Sorry! One thing I wanted to add: our SLP recommended Lego instead of unifix cubes precisely because they serve a multitude of functions and can be purchased secondhand readily and reasonably. We bought a big pack of generic construction bricks from amazon for about a third of the cost of real Lego, to supplement the Lego that LO inherited from ODS.
celticdragon77
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Back To School sales will be coming up soon.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Lol, I am too and they still put up with me. =) 

I liked your ideas. When my kids were small, I so badly wanted to send to a Montessori school. However, it was $10,000 per child, per year. I had learned all about the program and thought well, I can just do this at home. I ordered a catalog to buy the materials from. Turns out all the tons of materials needed, are also expensive! So, I made what I could, bought used, and if I REALLY needed to, bought new (rarely ever). Now days, there are tons of websites and videos of people who have made homemade Montessori activities - which is great. I saved myself THOUSANDS of dollars and my kids have an amazing ability to pick up new math concepts now.

Quoting tuffymama:

Dear baby snakes! I am longwinded. Sorry! One thing I wanted to add: our SLP recommended Lego instead of unifix cubes precisely because they serve a multitude of functions and can be purchased secondhand readily and reasonably. We bought a big pack of generic construction bricks from amazon for about a third of the cost of real Lego, to supplement the Lego that LO inherited from ODS.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM

my daughter does better when she has things that are specifically for school....she feels like they are special and is more eager to learn that way

Quoting tuffymama:

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN