Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Public school student gets fed up!

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 21 Replies
4 moms liked this

I am not sure if anyone else has seen this.  This kid wants to learn and the teacher sits behind the desk doing nothing except send him out the door.  This kid is right.  These kids want to learn, but can not learn from packets and movies and no guidance.  Watch the video here.

by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I watched that yesterday! It was great to see him stand up for himself & his fellow students! To bad the other kids didn't get up & walk out with him & go demand the teacher be removed or made to do her job!

I had a teacher that didn't like to do his job & I tried to fight to get an education from him unfortunately it only made him want to punish me for wanting to learn.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Bump for later. That's so sad.

leighp1
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM

This is actually what my older daughter is dealing with now.  Not that the teacher gives them dvds to watch, but he just isn't teaching them.  When more than 70% of the class is receiving a D or F, then there is something wrong with the teacher.  I have had conferences with him and the vice principal and of course they all stand behind the teacher.  She doesn't want to leave that school because the other teachers are fantastic.  Thank goodness my youngest wants to be homeschooled forever.  LOL

Quoting usmom3:

I watched that yesterday! It was great to see him stand up for himself & his fellow students! To bad the other kids didn't get up & walk out with him & go demand the teacher be removed or made to do her job!

I had a teacher that didn't like to do his job & I tried to fight to get an education from him unfortunately it only made him want to punish me for wanting to learn.

mrs.hartman12
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Saw it, really wish they had recorded what caused it! Pretty cool though, more people, parents and students need to take a stand. 

sadiebug1228
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a teacher in college like this. When ur in school for massage therapy u need a lot of one on one help and demonstrations. All she did was play on her phone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on May. 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this

My oldest daughter is complaining of the exact opposite of this problem. She has a biology teacher that is getting his masters in the field of biology. He is teaching and giving assignments based off what he is learning in college. Every student in his class is flunking. The students walked out on one of his classes - boycotting. The school stepped in and put a 2nd teacher in the room to teach for the first 15mins, but then leaves and allows this teacher to teach anyway he wants for the next 30mins. My daughter has had nights where she spent 5hrs on her biology homework! Ironically, she looked at an Apologia Biology book (now granted, it was the advanced version), and she said not even half of it has been covered in this class. 

She also complains that all the teachers admit to teaching the keystone tests. I was called into a meeting because a teacher got upset with my daughter for - raising her hand, teacher called on her, my daughter asked; what class are we in, teacher said; government history, my daughter said; when are we going to learn THAT? Teacher felt it was disrespectful and sent my daughter out of her class and didn't want her to return. I KNOW my daughter. She is quiet and not at all disrespectful normally. She just is frustrated with the public school though. She was really excited to go to high school and learn these great courses that they offer. The school did admit that they are seeing a lot of growing discontent with students, parents - and even the staff. My daughter was in there saying "I learned more on my own. I can do better homeschooling". The guidance counselor admitted that a few parents took kids out to homeschool this year. I surprised to hear the admission of this. - My youngest daughter said that a girl in her class shared that she will not be returning next year because her mom wants to homeschool her.

Whatever they are doing in public schools - IT IS NOT WORKING!!

More kids need to rise up against what is going on. Create a revolution!!! Who better to demand it. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

WantedNameTaken
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Bravo to this kid!  Great job.  It's sad he had to go there though.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM

My husband watched this the other night.  I wish I had recorded him.  He was yelling at the teacher to get up and say something.  He had a lot of teachers like this.  He said that he tested gifted and he could take the tests and pass them and he never did homework.  We do not want that for our children and when we realized that was what was happening, after talking to our oldest who was in K.  We decided we would homeschool and she never wants to go back.

Kat0038
by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not be surprised if he becomes president some day. At least a senator. 

leighp1
by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

You know, I find it funny that I posted this in two different forums and received almost opposite responses.  I think it is sad that he had to tell the teacher what the kids wanted.  I think its sad that the teacher just sat there.  I think it's sad that the other kids didn't get up and walk out as well.  I think it's sad that the public school system has turned into a factory line, throw out the "broken" ones and push threw the ones that conform to the standards and of course you do have those that just fall threw the cracks.  One day someone will stand up for our kids.  Maybe it will be this kid!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)