Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Public school student gets fed up!

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not sure if anyone else has seen this.  This kid wants to learn and the teacher sits behind the desk doing nothing except send him out the door.  This kid is right.  These kids want to learn, but can not learn from packets and movies and no guidance.  Watch the video here.

by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
vamom21
by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:21 AM
I thought he was on a roll until he started cussing. I only hope he went to the principal's office and explained what is going on. The most effective way to address this would be for him to go to the local newspaper and report what is really happening in that classroom,maybe then the school admin will get their ducks in a row.
leighp1
by on May. 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Something new about this video.  It made it to Yahoo and most people agree with the student.  In fact, we have a comment from one person that seems to have been in the class or has knowledge of this situation.  Here is what she said,

"What isn't being mentioned is that Jeff had asked his teacher for help before this happened and she refused. The young man had previously dropped out of school and returned because he wanted his education. The sad fact is that there are teachers out there who just don't care....and they need to be told. They make all of the good teachers, who work hard to educate their students, who are not there just for a paycheck...look bad. "

Maridel
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Sad. Anyone seen the movie "wont back down"?
leighp1
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I watched it and it was great!!!  It's really too bad more parents don't stand up and say "we are not taking this any more".  I guess some of us did, we stood up and said your not taking our kids education in your hands and pulled them out and doing the educating ourselves.

Quoting Maridel:

Wow. Sad. Anyone seen the movie "wont back down"?

Donna.June
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw this. It's all over the news in Texas. Duncanville isn't really that great of a district. It's just as bad as Dallas district.
I went to and graduated from a Dallas school. The teachers don't really interact with the students. For the three years I was at W.T.White high school (I transferred from R.L.Turner), I only had one teacher who taught well and actually helped. Everyone else passed out packets.
The substitute teachers were worse. There was one by the name of Mr. Washington. And he literally told our class "There's your assignment on the board. Either do it or not. Just leave me the hell alone" and sat down at the teachers desk, feet up, and read his newspaper.
The education I received in high school was horrible and in all honesty, I should not have graduated. I was in a class called reconnect that helps you gain credits you don't have through computer. We were required to write 10 pages of notes, take all end of chapter tests, and take the final. I cheated. I took the end of chapter test, wrote the write answers, went back to take the test, and passed that. If I failed the final, that was okay because the final and the "class work" averaged out. I did this for every credit I didn't have. Speech was just two one page essays.
I wish I had taken school more seriously, or had someone who cared about my education.
This is the reason I homeschool my kids. I may not be smart, but I will learn with them. I am really bad at math, like embarrassingly so. I'm so gllad that dh is a math genius. The man rarely uses a calculator and loves to do anything with numbers.
homeschoolx3
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I've seen it. This "teacher" needs to be removed!

celticdragon77
by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

You did an excellent job of wording that!!

Quoting leighp1:

You know, I find it funny that I posted this in two different forums and received almost opposite responses.  I think it is sad that he had to tell the teacher what the kids wanted.  I think its sad that the teacher just sat there.  I think it's sad that the other kids didn't get up and walk out as well.  I think it's sad that the public school system has turned into a factory line, throw out the "broken" ones and push threw the ones that conform to the standards and of course you do have those that just fall threw the cracks.  One day someone will stand up for our kids.  Maybe it will be this kid!!

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

celticdragon77
by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM

My dad lives over an hour from Dallas, and when I was down there, I heard really bad things about the Dallas schools. I was shocked at how many people mentioned how bad it was. I live near a big city (Philly) and I don't hear things like how I did about Dallas. 

Quoting Donna.June:

I saw this. It's all over the news in Texas. Duncanville isn't really that great of a district. It's just as bad as Dallas district.
I went to and graduated from a Dallas school. The teachers don't really interact with the students. For the three years I was at W.T.White high school (I transferred from R.L.Turner), I only had one teacher who taught well and actually helped. Everyone else passed out packets.
The substitute teachers were worse. There was one by the name of Mr. Washington. And he literally told our class "There's your assignment on the board. Either do it or not. Just leave me the hell alone" and sat down at the teachers desk, feet up, and read his newspaper.
The education I received in high school was horrible and in all honesty, I should not have graduated. I was in a class called reconnect that helps you gain credits you don't have through computer. We were required to write 10 pages of notes, take all end of chapter tests, and take the final. I cheated. I took the end of chapter test, wrote the write answers, went back to take the test, and passed that. If I failed the final, that was okay because the final and the "class work" averaged out. I did this for every credit I didn't have. Speech was just two one page essays.
I wish I had taken school more seriously, or had someone who cared about my education.
This is the reason I homeschool my kids. I may not be smart, but I will learn with them. I am really bad at math, like embarrassingly so. I'm so gllad that dh is a math genius. The man rarely uses a calculator and loves to do anything with numbers.

Donna.June
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It's pretty bad. The high school I went to had metal detectors. They were used at most entrances to the school before first class started. Except no one thought about the portables outside and students who had those first. Or the seniors who arrived during second period. So students still brought all kinds of stuff into the school. Like drugs, alcohol, weapons, and stolen property to sell. I can't tell you how many times I saw students sniffing coke at their lockers, bathrooms, or locker room. Not to mention the "extra" activities that went behind closed doors and between the dumpsters. We even had a teacher who talked to a 13 year old girl online and made plans to meet her. Turns out she was a cop and they busted him. He commited suicide the next day. I saw so much at the school, I vowed that my kids would never go there.

Quoting celticdragon77:

My dad lives over an hour from Dallas, and when I was down there, I heard really bad things about the Dallas schools. I was shocked at how many people mentioned how bad it was. I live near a big city (Philly) and I don't hear things like how I did about Dallas. 

Quoting Donna.June:

littlelambe2
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol. That's awesome. I was the quiet, studious one is public high school. But I still took the opportunity to walk out on one teacher, and to stand up to another teacher when he starting in calling a fellow student "stupid". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN