Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

first grader

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
  • 15 Replies
This is what he can do so far. We are homeschooling through the summer also; so as of now he knows:

Reading:
I am not really sure how to rate his reading. We usually check out step 1, 2, and 3 books from the library. He seems to have no problems with step 1 books (or level one readers); seems to have little trouble with step 2 (level 2) readers and he has moderate problems with step 3s. He tries to sound out the words and use picture cues to figure out what's going on if he can't read a word.

Writing:
He knows that sentences begin with a capital letter and end with a punctuation mark. He knows which sentences need periods, exclamation, and question marks. He understands linking verbs and action verbs and their uses. He understands past tense and present tense. He understands nouns. He can write complete sentences correctly.

Spelling: He knows the difference between consonants and vowels. He knows the vowwels sounds (short and long). He is able to break the words apart (syllables). Is actually a decent speller because he can break the word down enough to hear all letters. Silent e still tricks him sometimes tho.

Math:
He can add double digit problems. He can add single digits. He can subtract single digit numbers. He understands number families. He can count by 2, 5, 10s. Is doing decently with counting by 3s, 6s (has not mastered tho). He can tell time by hour, half hour but has not mastered quarter past or quarter till, has not mastered minutes after an hour; i.e, 12:08 but is doing well with those. Has the understand of simple fractions and how to use a ruler. Understands <, >, and the sign for not equal and can use them correctly. Knows place values to the hundredth. He can add together 12+11+13= So those type of problems are easy for him and he can do it with just single digits as well. He can read a calendar and fill in the missing dates. He can read a simple bar graph and fill one out. He can read and successfully math written numbers like sixty to numerical numbers like 60. Knows his shapes. Uhm... i could be forgetting some in this area. We have covered a lot.
Science:
Understands basic photosynthesis, basic water cycle, basic growth cycles of butterflies, toads, ladybugs and the like, understands living things vs. Non living things, understands what mammals are, understand what lizards are. I know there are tons more here because we've gone over physical science and earth science so he should understand the basics of both plus some basic astronomy and basic chemistry.

History/SS/geography:
Can understand simple maps, point out the compass and directions, understand basic legends. Knows basics about Christopher Columbus, Native Americans, Pocahontas, knows basics about Revoluntionary war; like: Paul Revere and the lights, George Washington was General and then became President, the boston tea party, and a few other things. Knows a little about the civil war and a little about ww2. Starting to learn the states and location of each.

We are also teaching Spanish and he has picked that up surprisingly well but that isn't really core materials.

SO does he sound on track.
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leighp1
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:19 AM
2 moms liked this

It really sounds like he is a smart cookie!!  And has a great teacher!!  From what I read here, he seems to be advanced for a first grader, but that is my opinion. Just keep doing what you are doing and I know he will be great!!

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Sounds like he is making good progress.  I have a question though.  What do you mean when you say "he tries to sound out the words"?  Is he having any trouble decoding or blending the sounds to form words? 

P.S. This is quite common, and easy to correct. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I wouldn't say he has trouble. I just meant that if he hasn't seen the word before he'll try to sound it out. However I am open to suggestions. I want him to get the best of his education.

Quoting romacox:Sounds like he is making good progress.  I have a question though.  What do you mean when you say "he tries to sound out the words"?  Is he having any trouble decoding or blending the sounds to form words?  P.S. This is quite common, and easy to correct. 
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Sounds great!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

He sounds great!  With regards to reading, do you have him draw pictures that he "sees" while you read to him?  A great reader pictures the story in their heads, but kids are having trouble with this today because of television and the overuse of picture books.  Reading teachers will work on this by having the students draw a picture of what happens at the beginning/ middle/ end of a story.  It helps with comprehension and sequencing as well and gives a better read on how the child is reading at this young age.  I only mention this because you said you were not sure how to rate his reading.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Yea well when he came out of Public K he was behind. Couldn't read a book period so we have been playing catch up. I don't make him draw pictures but I might start doing that. Thanks.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

He sounds great!  With regards to reading, do you have him draw pictures that he "sees" while you read to him?  A great reader pictures the story in their heads, but kids are having trouble with this today because of television and the overuse of picture books.  Reading teachers will work on this by having the students draw a picture of what happens at the beginning/ middle/ end of a story.  It helps with comprehension and sequencing as well and gives a better read on how the child is reading at this young age.  I only mention this because you said you were not sure how to rate his reading.

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Since he sounds out the words he doesn't know, I would say he is making a good connection between phonics, blending and words.  I think you are doing a good job, keep doing what you are doing

The only reason I asked is because not only am I a home educator, I am also a tutor.  One of the most common causes for children having trouble reading is described in the following video.  But it does not sound like your son is having any problems, and I am a firm believer in:  "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."  How To Help Your Child Read 

Grade Level Requirements may help confirm your capabilities.  There are also free reading tests on line. 

Quoting chotovec82:

I wouldn't say he has trouble. I just meant that if he hasn't seen the word before he'll try to sound it out. However I am open to suggestions. I want him to get the best of his education.

Quoting romacox:Sounds like he is making good progress.  I have a question though.  What do you mean when you say "he tries to sound out the words"?  Is he having any trouble decoding or blending the sounds to form words?  P.S. This is quite common, and easy to correct. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I will look into that just to be sure everything is going smoothly. THanks so much for your advice. I posted this in some non homeschooling groups and a bunch of people think I should test him. I dont' feel the need to test at this level. I can tell how he is doing by watching and nothing his every day progression. We aren't through the whole year yet for him. We have until Mid to late june with his actual curriculum and then until around Sept we are gonna work on the areas that need extra help. I just feel like crap after posting this in another group. I bought that book, What every First grader needs to know, and he doesn't seem under grade level after reading that.

Quoting romacox:

Since he sounds out the words he doesn't know, I would say he is making a good connection between phonics, blending and words.  I think you are doing a good job, keep doing what you are doing

The only reason I asked is because not only am I a home educator, I am also a tutor.  One of the most common causes for children having trouble reading is described in the following video.  But it does not sound like your son is having any problems, and I am a firm believer in:  "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."  How To Help Your Child Read 

Grade Level Requirements may help confirm your capabilities.  There are also free reading tests on line. 

Quoting chotovec82:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Catch up is tough, but you can do it!  Our K doesn't teach reading either, so feel your pain!  :-)

Quoting chotovec82:

Yea well when he came out of Public K he was behind. Couldn't read a book period so we have been playing catch up. I don't make him draw pictures but I might start doing that. Thanks.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM

This is off topic, but your comment was very interesting to me.  I know that I am a visual reader in that I imagine pictures in my head when I read.  However, I always had trouble (and by trouble I mean that I didn't enjoy) many 19th century novels.  I think that this may be because many of those novels are more aurally than visually oriented (and thinking in particular of Jane Austin).  It never occurred to me that the TEACHING orientation was toward the visual -- notwithstanding that children are having trouble with that today.  Where did you get your information?  It makes me wonder whether I have an unconcious bias in how I am teaching reading to my six-year-old. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN