Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum? Lesson Plans? Here are our goals....

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I started writing goals for our kids, we plan on beginning to hs starting this fall if all goes well.  Now I just need to figure out curriculum or lessons....we really can't buy curriculum, I won't be working or will be working minimally so we will be extra poor, I want most of our expenses to be field trips.  So here is what we have so far, please let me know if you know of any free or cheap resources!!

We have DS who will be entering 6th grade (will be 11 this summer) but is fairly advanced, and DD who will be entering 5th grade (will be 10 this summer) but is barely on level, falling behind a bit in my opinion.  I will teach a lot of the same things, but expectations will be a little different.

Math DS11: will work on critical thinking skills, word problems, ratios, percentages, review fractions and PEMDAS, introduce algebra --using mostly Khan Academy

DD10: will work on fractions, decimals, word problems, critical thinking, review and master basic math facts and money, review reading numbers and measurment conversions--mostly Khan Academy

Language Arts: DS11: spelling won't be a huge thing for him we will work more on vocab/definitions of tougher words, and look at where our words come from, For DD10 spelling will be a focus, I need a good website for spelling lists.....I want both to master print and cursive this year..they both will work on summarizing and writing book reports with different expectations for their level...they will both work on writing different things-letters, stories, plays, poetry, essays...DD will also work on sentence structure and forming paragraphs, DS will get to write bibliographies...we will also review synonyms/antonyms, homophones/homogaphs, work on editing sentences, and review grammar as needed.  Any websites for daily edits?  Or worksheets on the other things listed?

Science:  I am lost.  They will do a lot of this together, experiments, field trips...would like to look at: the human body, plants/animals/cells, solar system/universe, electricty, and introduce the periodic table and chemistry (DH thinks this is too advanced...but I am thinking volcano and coke/mentos stuff)

History: Ancient history for both kids, ancient Greece, Greek mythology, Ancient Rome, The Crusades, with geography in there as well...I have NO IDEA about history, I will be learning with them.  I am letting DH guide this area but I will be doing most of the teaching, DH thinks it's best to start at the beginning.  I am thinking Easy Peasy for a lot of the history stuff, I have no idea what else.

Foreign Language: Spanish I think (also considering French or Latin-hoping to teach all three eventually)- using Georgia Virtual Learning http://www.gavirtuallearning.org/Resources/SharedSpanish1%28WLCopy%29.aspx

And religion: we will introduce the bible, my kids have not been exposed to it very much but DH and I want them to have some idea. I don't know how to go about this, I'm thinking ewtn.com and just looking through the giant bible my mom is giving me and reading to them.

Any thoughts?  Recources?   Even if you know of some good books or curriculum that you think could work for us, I will look for used or at the library.

by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Replies (21-21):
peachwine
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Here is what I used this year for my 6Th grader. I used A Beka for math, reading, spelling/vocabulary,and English. I found the teacher editions & test books on craigslist for $50!  I ordered the student editions from A Beka, and they were very reasonable. I also purchased a Houghton reading textbook.  The science & social studies I use Scott Foresman textbooks & workbooks. My daughter loved her ps science and social studies books and wanted to keep with those. I might try something different for next year. I also add in many videos that relate to what we are covering. I found all of these on youtube.

I was considering virtual academy for next year, but I noticed most of the material we covered this year is listed for 7th grade. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)