Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you ever feel like you are not doing enough?

Maybe I'm paranoid. Maybe not. Am I alone? How do you know when you have done "enough"?
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (11-15):
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I think it is quite normal.  It is like when you leave the house and you think you forgot something.  Sometimes you did and sometimes you didn't.  Sometimes I even have to turn around and go back.  It is the same if we didn't cover everything then it will turn up again and then we just teach it at a different time.  The longer i homeschool the less worried I become.  I have learned to relax and trust my chldren will learn what they need to know when the time is right.  Be flexible and don't be afraid to think outside the box and you will do great.  

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM

My kids are still in ps and I am hoping to hs this fall....I am sure I will feel like this sometimes, but really, I think I will do a better job than anyone else, so it will be "enough."  They'll eventually learn everything they need to.

lil_mama06
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I have thought that in the past..And still sometimes do. But the proof was when I put my then 7th grader in public school..I warned about possible holes in learning etc..Little stinker is at a 4.0 (she's in 8th grade now) Just have to trust yourself. Valerie is behind in reading, she is catching up tho.. 

usmom3
by BJ on May. 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I think if your children know how to pursue learning on their own then it won't matter if you don't teach every little thing because they will have the ability to learn anything they want to learn when they want to learn it!

celticdragon77
by on May. 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I use to do Montessori type activities with my younger kids when they were 4, 5, 6, 7 yrs old. I considered homeschooling them. I was at the time homeschooling a child through middle school (she only homeschooled for 6-8grades).

I worried intensely whether I could do a well enough job at it. Would it be better to trust the school to handle their education since they were specially trained and qualified. So in 1st grade for one and 2nd grade for the other, they went to public school. I trusted the school for 3yrs and I got my answer - I could have done better!

However, I do a lot of research and reading concerning education and child development. I educate myself, and I read a lot. I wouldn't think twice about ordering educational materials to refreshed up my own skills. I go in search of inspiring ideas, new innovations, etc. I talk with and listen to all kinds of educators. I search out in my community for ways to grow and help out. I do not just browse curriculum catalogs (though that is fun too), I do not just open a book or curriculum guide as my source, and do not think a higher power is just going to magically hand me all the skills needed - just like he doesn't magically give my kids the skills to get A's. We all have to work at it as a team. 

So I go in this new venture of homeschooling, without any doubts (but a lot of questions, lol). I know it won't be perfect, but I know it will be more than just better than public school, it will be awesome! =)

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN