Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I will be Failing my son. He will be repeating 4th grade.***UPDATED***

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 82 Replies

This year even though his average is 80+ this year in all the things he did do...

KEEP IN MIND THE WORDING HERE.. THAT WHICH HE DID DO.. is 80% 

But 40% of the material that we were supposed to do he litterally had to do over and over and over again..

And we have only finished 50-60% of the materials.

Why you ask..

Litterally he has rebelled at every turn. 

He will sit with his head in his hands twirling his pencil. He will tell me he did the work.. Then when I go to correct it.. I litterally have found doodles on the lines.(More than one time!) I have tried incentives, I have tried downright bribes. (Upto and encluding 2 weeks of camp this summer, a summer pass to theme parks and even The new wiiU) He just refused to co-operate! So I have told him he is going to have summer school. And that we will start next year with a different curriculum but that he will be doing 4th grade work again as I refuse to let him move on to new materials until he shows he is competant and has mastered the stuff from this year. 

Then I also told him that starting today if he starts to act out/ say how much he hates doing school work he will be sat in a corner and left there all day long! When I say all day long.. I mean from the time he wakes up to the time he returns to bed aside from trips to the bathroom or meals. I also told him that work that I know is not up to his abilities will bring about 1 hour of the same sitting.. 

~~Warning~~

I know that some of you ladies won't agree with these measures.. However after an entire school year of him not getting his work done, and not co-operating.. I know it is being a bit harsh.. atleast to some! I am an old fashioned kind of momma.. I don't tolerate disobediance and I have tried everything this year to not have to get to this level.. But when he insists on making litterally the entire home a den of anger, frustration and misery for the past almost 12 months (I started him last year on homeschooling just after he got out of public school.. Hoping we could get him caught up) so we have been homeschooling him every monday-friday since June... with the exception of 3(1week)vacations. So like I said he has made us all miserable trying to fight the homeschooling.. And I have decided he won't be given the liberty of succeeding in his attempts. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok well I talked with a local woman who has been homeschooling here in NY for some time! To boot her husband is very up to date on laws.. So they helped me know about the legal requirements of nys! And I have been herassing myself and my son for most of the year for almost no dang reason!

So were gonna do some morning work each day during the summer but aside from some catchup stuff were taking it easy starting monday!

I will be failing him still But I have informed him it is as much my fault as his. 

Thanks to all(well most of you anyhow) you ladies for letting me post this and for giving some great constructive criticizm... 

by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsImperfect
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM
3 moms liked this
Sounds like he needs another approach to learning cause he's not interested, bored or its too hard not hard enough. Whatever his issue might be.
BraydensMama163
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm in the same boat. My son is in first grade and has hardly done any work because he screams and cries he.will curl up in a ball stick his head in his shirt.

I don't care no matter what he will continue all summer until he can do his first grade work.
HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

All I know is he keeps repeating the phrase.. "They don't do this like that in school.."

And I keep telling him that Homeschool and Public school ARE DIFFERENT! 

Yes you learn and have similar classes.. But they aren't "The same"

And he says he misses the kids.. And that I understand.. But I can't really help that! He spends alot of time with the children in our church so that is some help.. I hope!

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Sounds like he needs another approach to learning cause he's not interested, bored or its too hard not hard enough. Whatever his issue might be.

101stwife
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this

How old is he? It honestly sounds like maybe you need a different approach. How do you run your home school day? I know that for one of my sons he does really well first thing in the morning and likes to get his work done right away. Then my other son is not a morning person and does much better at around 10am. He also does better with doing a lesson or 2 and then having a break and then doing another lesson or 2. Maybe he would do better with a more hands on curriculum rather than seat work?

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

J IS 10

9=MATH

10=Language Arts

11=Social Studies

12 Lunch

1=Science

2= Reading

3=Health

And like I said in my post I will be changing the curriculum very soon. However I do truely beleive that children need to learn how to do as they are told. I have tried many hand's on lessons and I have even tried to do feild trips.. None of that seems to motivate him. For history one week we took him to a local place which has houses from each time period in american history. And in each of the homes there are people telling about that time period.. He sat down on one of the steps and told us all how boring history was and how he didn't want to go to any more of the homes.. After we had payed for a weekend pass to take him all through it.. so 2 days of our pass were wasted because mister cranky pants wanted to gripe and whine.

Quoting 101stwife:

How old is he? It honestly sounds like maybe you need a different approach. How do you run your home school day? I know that for one of my sons he does really well first thing in the morning and likes to get his work done right away. Then my other son is not a morning person and does much better at around 10am. He also does better with doing a lesson or 2 and then having a break and then doing another lesson or 2. Maybe he would do better with a more hands on curriculum rather than seat work?

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm... I was having some issues with my first grader but we found something that worked. I would let him play all day and then the last 3 hours of the day, before bed, we do school. This has really helped. Also we take away things when he starts to grumble and whine. Usually it's his nintendo but in the past it's been tv, nintendo, toys, etc...

YOu could also try a book called 1, 2, 3 Magic. It has helped so much with discipline and getting him motivated to do school typpe activities.

GOod luck.
101stwife
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM
4 moms liked this

I do understand that kids need to do what they are told. However, all people have different learning styles and it is the teacher or in this case the parents job to figure out what that is. Not every person learns the same way and it is important to find what sparks their love for learning.

Do you belong to a home school group or co-op? Maybe if you could get together some other home school kids for a group field trip that would be interesteing to him?

stepanieof4
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM

My daughter is the same way She is suppose to be in 7th grade but some of her subjects are 6th gr. level. But I have to argue with her just to get started.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM
4 moms liked this

I think that your field trip went so poorly because he's learned from the school, and now at home, how awful learning can be.   He needs the opportunity to learn to enjoy it first, otherwise, you will be fighting him all the time.

I'm not saying that the kids don't need hard core old fashioned training...  I just think they should have something to look forward to in their lives and to enjoy about learning.

Sounds also like you jumped straight into HSing after public school.   You should do a search on the value of de-schooling your child for a while first.   I have seen that value first hand in my own kids (when I DIDN'T follow the advice of others, and then later when I did)...

And finally... get excited yourself, Mama.   Be the type of "teacher" that he remembers getting him pumped up about topics and projects and experiments.    Be tough, no doubt, but have fun with his education yourself.   Teach him to enjoy it and not see it as grueling, laborsome, torture.... You will fight less and his attitude will start changing when yours does.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM
3 moms liked this

I disagree with the way you are going about this, but I know you added a caveat about that, so I'll bug off, but to say that I sincerely hope things get better for you both this upcoming year! Good luck!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN