Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need some positive thoughts and prayers and a little advice please. 

Friday morning my grandmother was diagnosed with liver cancer.  I am in shock because until about a year ago, she was the healthiest person I've ever met in my life.  We all used to joke that she'd outlive every one of us.  I need to be proactive and there's not much I can do other than be there for her appointments and whatever else she's going to need.  I did agree to captain a Relay for Life team Saturday morning.  At least I feel like I'm doing... something.  So I need your positive thoughts and prayers, please.

I also need your advice. How do you explain cancer to children? My older two (11 and 9) have a fair understanding, I think.  My youngest though...

Two years ago we lost my husband's aunt to stomach cancer.  It was stage 4 before she was ever diagnosed and she did not have a lot of time.  At the same time, my youngest daughter was 6 and having terrible abdominal pain.  The doctors were clueless as to what it could be and she was so scared that it might be the same thing that killed her Aunt B.  Now Gran has cancer.  This is bringing back my DD's old fears, because while we have a diagnosis of abdominal migraines, we haven't been able to get her to a pain free state.  How do I explain about cancer to her (emotionally/mentally she's at about a 6 year old level) in a way that will alleviate her fear?  She is terrified.

by on May. 13, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Thank you

Quoting Boobah:

(((hugs))))  
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Thank you.

Quoting energygirl:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad and for your cousin's struggles.  I will pray for her.  I have considered going to a therapist for her because of her health struggles, but I think with this I will definitely look into it.  On top of this, my husband's grandfather is dying and will probably not live through the month, so she's kind of on overload.  Thank you

Quoting Kat0038:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  So many times they just "get it" as far different things happening, but health issues are difficult because she has had so many.

This is me to a T!

Quoting tuffymama:

Personally, researching and acting to help are what alleviate some of my pain and give me some semblance of control to stem my full-body FREAK OUT when someone I love is ill or otherwise enduring a particularly lifey situation. GL!

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Thank you

Quoting mem82:

I'm praying for your family!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My sister has cancer we tell her 4 year old, my 4 year old, 6 year old and 7 year old that she has bad cells that are attacking her good cells and it is a fight but that it is in God's hands.  He will care for her.  When my brother in law died we had to explain to the kids that he was in so much pain God took him to heavon so he could run and play and not feel pain.

If you do not believe in God you could still use the bad cell analogy but I dont know how to make her feel better about it.  I am sending thoughts and prayers your way

Kat0038
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I will be praying for you and your family 

Quoting Pukalani79:

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad and for your cousin's struggles.  I will pray for her.  I have considered going to a therapist for her because of her health struggles, but I think with this I will definitely look into it.  On top of this, my husband's grandfather is dying and will probably not live through the month, so she's kind of on overload.  Thank you

Quoting Kat0038:

101stwife
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM

He is a very healthy happy 12 year old now:0)

Quoting Pukalani79:

Thank you.   How is your son?

Quoting 101stwife:

My youngest son had cancer when he was born. He had to go through surgery and chemotherapy.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM

:) That is awesome!! :)

Quoting 101stwife:

He is a very healthy happy 12 year old now:0)

Quoting Pukalani79:

Thank you.   How is your son?

Quoting 101stwife:

My youngest son had cancer when he was born. He had to go through surgery and chemotherapy.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Thank you. I am so sorry about your sister. I will keep her in my prayers.

Quoting debramommyof4:

My sister has cancer we tell her 4 year old, my 4 year old, 6 year old and 7 year old that she has bad cells that are attacking her good cells and it is a fight but that it is in God's hands.  He will care for her.  When my brother in law died we had to explain to the kids that he was in so much pain God took him to heavon so he could run and play and not feel pain.

If you do not believe in God you could still use the bad cell analogy but I dont know how to make her feel better about it.  I am sending thoughts and prayers your way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)