Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sex Ed

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
Sex Ed

So ds is 10. Not really interested in sex but I want to make sure I am the first one to introduce him to the world of sex etc.

We have already talked about puberty. But I do want him to be familiar with the different sexual orientations (without judgement). Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual and asexual.

My concern is finding a good resource: book, video or website.

Any thoughts ladies?
How have you taught sex Ed?
by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
energygirl
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

my kids are younger...but I am glad you asked this...I'd like to know some good resources as well!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I'm not really familiar with a secular sex ed program. I plan to use Joyful Mysteries of Life with my daughter, normal biology unit, and then just... discussion. Really, she's heard it most of her life, so it won't be new, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
It kind of starts at the knee with me. ODS learned slowly, over the course of his growing up, what sex is, how and why to be responsible with the physical side of it so the heart and soul don't suffer, pregnancy, STDs, "protection," and the actual purpose of sex and mechanics of reproduction, etc. It was easiest when he was able to understand the clinical side of it because then I had an anchor to which I could tie the rest of it. LO has already shown an interest in the reproduction of the chickens on our egg lady's farm, and I will build on that. If I get hung up in a few years, I will definitely defer to a quality curriculum, so I am interested in the advice that will be offered here, too.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM

My girls are younger.  I would go to the library and look at the books there they have books for boys and girls and see what is in there and if it looks appropriate. 

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM

To be honest with you I am intending on teaching him from a distinctly christian point of view.. However that doesn't mean no education which apparently is what most people think it means..

For me it means telling him that God loved him and from the beginning of time meant for people to find great intimacy inside marraige. I plan for him to know the how's and why's because it's hard enough dealing with the bodily changes when you do know.. but to deal with the urges and changes and feelings with no knowledge is completely unkind. My parent's didn't tell us ANYTHING.. I mean litterally I had my first period and thought I was going to die.. Bleed to death because I didn't know that it was normal.. I remember sitting in the bathtub crying.. but not wanting to call anyone inside.. My grandma found me as I was there at her house for the weekend and then she made it into a shopping trip for bra's and pads.. after she explained over "coffee" because she said "If your old enough to have a period your old enough to enjoy a good cup of coffee.. I love coffee to this day! :)" So I don't like the idea of no knowledge. However I do think sometimes people go overboard and give too much information.. From the day my son was  old enough to know how to talk he has known what his "equipment" was called.. The proper name.. 

I beleive teaching your child about sex is a progressive thing.. You start at 2 and by 10-12 they should know most of it.. And then I figure when they are truely old enough to participate in it.. They can put "A" and "B" together and figure out what works for them.. kwim?

usmom3
by BJ on May. 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an adult son now & the way we handled that subject was to wait until an opportunity naturally occurred (like me getting pregnant with his younger siblings when he was 10 & 12. Sometimes movies & TV shows can give you those opportunity's as well). We always deal with it as a conversation so it is relaxed & not so formal because it is an uncomfortable subject for all to have but is an important one to cover!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know of a program - my kids are 9 & 11 and they are very familiar with the different sexual orientations but it was all done through conversation not book studies.

celticdragon77
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe I am the odd duck on this one, but this is one of those things that I do not consider part of "school". It is something I have tried to weave into the conversations, through the years. I want them to be reasonably comfortable with such conversations. If anything, I am the one that read books.  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Warning: This iPad enjoys auto correcting into jibberish. I have three kids 17, 10.5 and 9 yrs old. This mama works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

Momof697
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

This is the way I will teach it too.  I use preparing for adolescents from focus on the family. It goes through all the issues how bodies change, mentally what is going on, and eventually they get into sex part of it.

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

To be honest with you I am intending on teaching him from a distinctly christian point of view.. However that doesn't mean no education which apparently is what most people think it means..

For me it means telling him that God loved him and from the beginning of time meant for people to find great intimacy inside marraige. I plan for him to know the how's and why's because it's hard enough dealing with the bodily changes when you do know.. but to deal with the urges and changes and feelings with no knowledge is completely unkind. My parent's didn't tell us ANYTHING.. I mean litterally I had my first period and thought I was going to die.. Bleed to death because I didn't know that it was normal.. I remember sitting in the bathtub crying.. but not wanting to call anyone inside.. My grandma found me as I was there at her house for the weekend and then she made it into a shopping trip for bra's and pads.. after she explained over "coffee" because she said "If your old enough to have a period your old enough to enjoy a good cup of coffee.. I love coffee to this day! :)" So I don't like the idea of no knowledge. However I do think sometimes people go overboard and give too much information.. From the day my son was  old enough to know how to talk he has known what his "equipment" was called.. The proper name.. 

I beleive teaching your child about sex is a progressive thing.. You start at 2 and by 10-12 they should know most of it.. And then I figure when they are truely old enough to participate in it.. They can put "A" and "B" together and figure out what works for them.. kwim?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN