Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much importance do you put on handwriting?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 29 Replies

My sister has her kiddos in public school. One is in K and the other in 2nd grade. The one in K is learning to recognize and write upper and lower case letters. The one in 2nd grade still writes in print but with an emphasis on spacing and sizing of the text. When I asked if he was learning cursive, she told me that they go over it but there is no real emphasis on it since it is considered obsolete. I did some checking and apparently cursive writing is now taught at the individual states discretion. You all know I am new at this, but I'd really like your opinion on this and what you do.

I think it is a lost art and I want to teach my child this when the time comes. Do you teach cursive? Do you think it is an important skill to have or do you agree that it is obsolete?

by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Handwriting is VERY important! Cursive, too. How to bring a strong nation of patriots to its knees? Slowly disarm them, slowly starve them, refuse to teach them their own history, and slowly take away their ability to read and write. I can't believe PS is so boldly rendering students illiterate, one generation at a time. Teach the children to read and write with ease and with joy.
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Handwriting is imporant but computer skills are more important.  My children will know how to write in cursive but they will never be required to use it.  As we become more technological handwriting is used less and less.  It doesn't mean we shouldn't teach it.  Schools don't teach it mostly because it is not on the test.  It is not the only thing they are not teaching.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I taught 1 yr of cursive and their handwriting is terrible, so I'm teaching them again this year plus starting my kindy on print.

I'm regretting not teaching them better, as it hinders their work in every area to not be neater.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM
See I feel horrible now. I didn't put much effort into handwriting this year. He is in first grade and he can write in print. I didn't make him practice it constantly tho. When he had sentences to write or whatever for grammar and spelling; I made him write them but I didn't get on his case if it was too big or not spaced enough. I just simply told him that he needs to write a little smaller and leave better spacing... We have some workbooks for writing and I will start him on those this summer and try to catch him up. I'm starting to feel like a complete failure. However, when I look around at the PS kids; his writing seems up to par with theirs. I guess I figured that he would just start writing neater from experience and I wouldn't have to make him formally work on it.
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM
This is what I am going to start:
http://authenticsimplicity.net/2012/10/my-simple-preschool-handwriting/
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

We work on penmanship. My youngest has beautiful penmanship, but the other two...  They will learn to read and write cursive, but to be honest, I will put a lot more emphasis on computer skills.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Quoting chotovec82:

See I feel horrible now. I didn't put much effort into handwriting this year. He is in first grade and he can write in print. I didn't make him practice it constantly tho. When he had sentences to write or whatever for grammar and spelling; I made him write them but I didn't get on his case if it was too big or not spaced enough. I just simply told him that he needs to write a little smaller and leave better spacing... We have some workbooks for writing and I will start him on those this summer and try to catch him up. I'm starting to feel like a complete failure. However, when I look around at the PS kids; his writing seems up to par with theirs. I guess I figured that he would just start writing neater from experience and I wouldn't have to make him formally work on it.

Bah! Don't feel like you've failed! He's so young. In fact, many kids aren't even writing at his age. I've known some who just DIDN'T. But they got it later. Just gradually increase writing instruction and requirements, or go back to the drawing board to start again. Ask him if he'd like to write a little neater and offer help. I personally had to work and work on my own handwriting in school, because it was so ugly to me, and that just would not do LOL. By sixth grade, my teachers began commenting on my nice handwriting. But, not everyone needs beautiful handwriting when legible will do.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Yea we have a dry erase board for him to practice his print letters and numbers and he does well with that. However, it doesn't work on the sizing or spacing of them. He does write ok tho. I will work on it a bit more over the summer. I just didn't want to drill and kill him with it. I hated writing in school because we were forced to write paragraphs off the chalk board. BORING!

Quoting tuffymama:

Quoting chotovec82:

Bah! Don't feel like you've failed! He's so young. In fact, many kids aren't even writing at his age. I've known some who just DIDN'T. But they got it later. Just gradually increase writing instruction and requirements, or go back to the drawing board to start again. Ask him if he'd like to write a little neater and offer help. I personally had to work and work on my own handwriting in school, because it was so ugly to me, and that just would not do LOL. By sixth grade, my teachers began commenting on my nice handwriting. But, not everyone needs beautiful handwriting when legible will do.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I will be teaching cursive.  We are going to have a generation who will not know how to sign thier name and that is sad to me. 

coala
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

We do teach and we start young in most people's opinions.  My youngest started learning cursive in the K4 program we chose.  She is now doing the K5 program from the same company.  They teach cursive early as kids learn to write in print from reading it.  My oldest started cursive when she started with this curric last year.  We place a lot of emphasis on penmanship.  The local schools are NO longer teaching it and I belive that if they don't learn how to write in cursive how are they going to learn to sign their names for future use on important documents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN