Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much importance do you put on handwriting?

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister has her kiddos in public school. One is in K and the other in 2nd grade. The one in K is learning to recognize and write upper and lower case letters. The one in 2nd grade still writes in print but with an emphasis on spacing and sizing of the text. When I asked if he was learning cursive, she told me that they go over it but there is no real emphasis on it since it is considered obsolete. I did some checking and apparently cursive writing is now taught at the individual states discretion. You all know I am new at this, but I'd really like your opinion on this and what you do.

I think it is a lost art and I want to teach my child this when the time comes. Do you teach cursive? Do you think it is an important skill to have or do you agree that it is obsolete?

by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Replies (21-29):
TidewaterClan
by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

This coming fall will be our first hs year (3rd grade).  In our school they've at least been given the trace papers to work with.  Last year I volunteered to help the first graders and we "wrote" in sand, jello, pudding, paint, then chalkboard & paper for the friction.  The children I worked with really enjoyed the variety and their print was legible at the end of the year. :)

My daughter began cursive this year and we'll continue this fall.  Handwriting uses different sections of the brain than typing, and I want to motivate as much of her cranium as I can. :)

Walnutgrovefarm
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM

My ds was taught print and cursive at an early age. He has great penmanship. When writing stories we alternate on typing it out on the computer and hand writing. When handwriting he always uses cursive writing. I think both computer and good handwriting is important and both are taught in our home.

jeweldragons
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM

The only thing I write in cursie is my name if I'm signing a check or signing a bill or something.  Other than I use print.  My handwriting happens to be horrible.  We learned curisive in 2nd grade but I never used it in school after 3rd grade.  I will be using Handwriting without Tears for Handwriting in Kindergarten but not sure if I will continue with Handwriting after 1st grade.  I will be focusing on reading, Phonics, and Spelling for 1st grade Language Arts.  Probably will focus on handwriting for elementary.

Momof697
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I teach it but I do not emphasize it. I have some boys and they hate writing period. I have girls and for the most part they like writing. I teach it. I tell them that in real life they really have to only know how to write their names in cursive, first last and middle initial.  The girls want to know how to read it and write and so they will get the full training.

oredeb
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

very important here, they learn to do cursive before printing,

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I am teaching cursive writing to my 4th grader.  We started working on cursive in the 3rd grade.

EnduringWon
by on May. 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

My daughter knows how to write print, of course, however she does not write cursive. If she shows an interest in it, I will teach her. She has great computer skills and is a fantastic reader. She is completing the third grade and will start fourth this coming school year.

oahoah
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I agree with you, we are teaching our boys cursive. 

JumpStartToyMom
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I think it's good to teach your child cursive handwriting because you can actually write faster, which helps with taking notes as kids get older if you can write in cursive.  But, it is a lost art and most public schools barely bother to teach it, so if it's a problem for your child, I would skip it and focus on other things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)