Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Summer Reading- for 12 year old boy!

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
  • 17 Replies

I need help in choosing summer reading books for my 12 year old son! I'm trying to get him more interested in reading, so it's not so much of a chore for him. Appreciate all your help!!!!!

by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeweldragons
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Chronicles of Narnia series

Little House on the Praire + The Rose Years and maybe the Caroline Years if you can get them (this teaches history + reading)

How about some classical novels such as Of Mice and Men, Night, The Diary of Anne Frank, Oliver Twist, White Fang, Call of the Wild (you can also compare Of Mice and Men, White Fang and Call of the Wild to the Movies), Dracula, Don Quixote, Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Bambi, The Jungle.

Jason's Gold, The Trumpet of the Swan.  Some biographies of famous people in American HIstory (The Autobiogpraphy of Bejamin Franklin, Franklin Douglass, Helen Keller).  Science Fiction (Ender's Game is a good one).

What about poetry by Edgar Allen Poe, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson?

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM
My oldest read the Animorphs series in elementary and middle school. You might try that one. Survival books, how-to books, and even Hemingway can begin to interest boys at this age. It's a fun time, right before you have to white knuckle it through the teen years. ;0)
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

The Phantom Tollbooth.

The LookingGlass Wars. (Seeing Redd and Arche Enemy are the other 2 books and there are some GOOD graphic novels that go with it (Hatter M)

Hatchett
Sounder
Huck Finn
Tom Sawyer
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ender's Game
The Maximum Ride Series (It's mostly about a girl, but many boys like it)
The Eragon series (dragons and magic and stuff)

Also the Hobbit might interest him (the Rings books are a bit older)

oredeb
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

what about trail blazer books  http://www.trailblazerbooks.com/Frame-1.html

usmom3
by BJ on May. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The Phantom Tollbooth.

The LookingGlass Wars. (Seeing Redd and Arche Enemy are the other 2 books and there are some GOOD graphic novels that go with it (Hatter M)

Hatchett
Sounder
Huck Finn
Tom Sawyer
Ender's Game

I was about to say The Hobbit! We watched the new movie a few weeks back & that prompted all of us to want to read the book. So everyone in our house is reading or having the Hobbit read to them & when we are all done reading it we are going to get the 1977 animated movie & watch it!

usmom3
by BJ on May. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

What is he interested in? I would make sure all the books are something he has an interest in!

SusanTheWriter
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan.

Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The Phantom Tollbooth.

Hatchett
Sounder
Huck Finn
Tom Sawyer
Ender's Game

I was about to say The Hobbit! We watched the new movie a few weeks back & that prompted all of us to want to read the book. So everyone in our house is reading or having the Hobbit read to them & when we are all done reading it we are going to get the 1977 animated movie & watch it!

We have the 1977 animated movie!  We love it!  I made everyone mad when I said that they didn't do enough with Gandalf's smoke rings on the new movie.  It was one of the parts that have stuck with me since I first read it when I was a kid.  Yeah, I know, I'm a geek!  ;-)

usmom3
by BJ on May. 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The Phantom Tollbooth.

Hatchett
Sounder
Huck Finn
Tom Sawyer
Ender's Game

We have the 1977 animated movie!  We love it!  I made everyone mad when I said that they didn't do enough with Gandalf's smoke rings on the new movie.  It was one of the parts that have stuck with me since I first read it when I was a kid.  Yeah, I know, I'm a geek!  ;-)

Hahaha that is Ok I am a Geek too!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I don't know how self motivated he is, but goodreads.com has a "my goal for 2013" for how many books you want to read:
http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/940-2013-reading-challenge 
It also allows you to rate books, give feed back, and see other recomendations for good books.

Okay so having known about this site for quiet awhile now, I've finally actually put in the books that I've read and loved. The recommendation lists that have come forth from these are pretty appealing thus far. So if he can find a type of book he really likes, it may introduce him to even more that really catches his interests!

I need to know how to figure out how to prolong death until my extensive list of "want to read" books has gone through lol

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN