Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Summer Reading- for 12 year old boy!

I need help in choosing summer reading books for my 12 year old son! I'm trying to get him more interested in reading, so it's not so much of a chore for him. Appreciate all your help!!!!!

by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Replies (11-17):
Walnutgrovefarm
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Wrote some notes down to try. Thanks for all your help! We'll be at the library tomorrow to start our new reads. He loves anything history so I think I'll start with some Little House on the Prairie first then go from there.

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on May. 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Enders game is fantastic!

Quoting jeweldragons:

Chronicles of Narnia series

Little House on the Praire + The Rose Years and maybe the Caroline Years if you can get them (this teaches history + reading)

How about some classical novels such as Of Mice and Men, Night, The Diary of Anne Frank, Oliver Twist, White Fang, Call of the Wild (you can also compare Of Mice and Men, White Fang and Call of the Wild to the Movies), Dracula, Don Quixote, Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Bambi, The Jungle.

Jason's Gold, The Trumpet of the Swan.  Some biographies of famous people in American HIstory (The Autobiogpraphy of Bejamin Franklin, Franklin Douglass, Helen Keller).  Science Fiction (Ender's Game is a good one).

What about poetry by Edgar Allen Poe, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson?

jeweldragons
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Quoting jeweldragons:

Little House on the Praire + The Rose Years and maybe the Caroline Years if you can get them (this teaches history + reading)

How about some classical novels such as Of Mice and Men, Night, The Diary of Anne Frank, Oliver Twist, White Fang, Call of the Wild (you can also compare Of Mice and Men, White Fang and Call of the Wild to the Movies), Dracula, Don Quixote, Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Bambi, The Jungle.

Jason's Gold, The Trumpet of the Swan.  Some biographies of famous people in American HIstory (The Autobiogpraphy of Bejamin Franklin, Franklin Douglass, Helen Keller).  Science Fiction (Ender's Game is a good one).

I read Ender's Game in 9th grade during the summer for my reading list before school started. Did you know they're making a movie about Ender's Game? I'm interested to see in if the idiots botch the book like they usually always do. Oh also if your son is interested in that type of thing there's this series called Shadow Children. It's about the government and how they kill third+ children. I've only read book 1 which is Among the Hidden but liked it.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on May. 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM
They'll botch the movie, I'm expecting a bomb. Shadow children sounds intriguing, maybe a summer read for me ;)

Quoting jeweldragons:

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Quoting jeweldragons:

I read Ender's Game in 9th grade during the summer for my reading list before school started. Did you know they're making a movie about Ender's Game? I'm interested to see in if the idiots botch the book like they usually always do. Oh also if your son is interested in that type of thing there's this series called Shadow Children. It's about the government and how they kill third+ children. I've only read book 1 which is Among the Hidden but liked it.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM

My daughter who is 11, adores the author Gordon Korman.   He has several exciting books for kids.   One series in particular is Shipwrecked.   I think he'd like those.   I think Korman also wrote her other favorite series, Kidnapped.   These books aren't girly.  She is the kind of kid that likes a little action, excitement, and independence in her books.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Peter and the Starcatcher series

Alex and the Ironic Gentleman

Timothy and the Dragon's Gate

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM
My son liked Harry Potter

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The Phantom Tollbooth.

The LookingGlass Wars. (Seeing Redd and Arche Enemy are the other 2 books and there are some GOOD graphic novels that go with it (Hatter M)

Hatchett
Sounder
Huck Finn
Tom Sawyer
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ender's Game
The Maximum Ride Series (It's mostly about a girl, but many boys like it)
The Eragon series (dragons and magic and stuff)

Also the Hobbit might interest him (the Rings books are a bit older)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN