Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Reading

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

What do I need to start off with to teach my 5yo to read?  She is just coming out of Pre-K this year.  Do I necessarily need a program?

by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I wouldn't do it without a program, personally.

There are many out there - some are as pricey as several hundred, others are as cheap as $10.

Right now I'm using a mix of Phonics Pathways and Bob Books for my almost 4 year old; we'll add in Little Stories for Little Folks (Catholic Heritage Curriculum) this fall.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Kat0038
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Well I started with teaching alphabet and phonics. Others say memorizing is the way. And there are tons of resources from on line to iPad apps to books at the library to buying curriculum. But the real key to teaching reading is simply reading to your little one. I read to my kids all day. I read educational books, I read easy reading books, I read fun books, I simply read to them. 

trendy2
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM
We do read a lot. They have always had a love of books just as my husband and I do. My son is graduating Kindergarten in June and I thought about using the program he was taught for her as well as continuing to use it for him as well since he will be HS this year instead of returning to school. I'm just a little afraid I may not teach them as well as he has been taught this year...

Quoting Kat0038:

Well I started with teaching alphabet and phonics. Others say memorizing is the way. And there are tons of resources from on line to iPad apps to books at the library to buying curriculum. But the real key to teaching reading is simply reading to your little one. I read to my kids all day. I read educational books, I read easy reading books, I read fun books, I simply read to them. 

trendy2
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Any suggestions of where I can go online to teach her phonic sounds? She has a game on her LeapPad 2 that is pretty good too.

Quoting Kat0038:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Starfall.com

Reading Eggs

ABCMouse.com

All are online phonics programs. Reading Eggs and ABCMouse do come at a cost; Starfall has SOME free content, but to gain access to all of it will cost as well.

Quoting trendy2:

Any suggestions of where I can go online to teach her phonic sounds? She has a game on her LeapPad 2 that is pretty good too.

Quoting Kat0038:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I have taught all my children to read using the book Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Lessons (engelmann). It's incremental and scaffolds. Slow going at first but takes like 10 minutes a day. Once we hit around lesson 40-50 they can read well enough to start easy readers so we get those at the library (level 1/level A depending on the publisher). We also memorize SOME sight words and for that we have file folder games. I think reading is a combination of memorization of sight words and phonics so we do both. 

We do let them play on starfall but it's not really part of 'school.' 

trendy2
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Found it. Should be here Friday. Hope it's fool proof. Lol.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I have taught all my children to read using the book Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Lessons (engelmann). It's incremental and scaffolds. Slow going at first but takes like 10 minutes a day. Once we hit around lesson 40-50 they can read well enough to start easy readers so we get those at the library (level 1/level A depending on the publisher). We also memorize SOME sight words and for that we have file folder games. I think reading is a combination of memorization of sight words and phonics so we do both. 

We do let them play on starfall but it's not really part of 'school.' 

oredeb
by debbie on May. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

if you want to go with a program heres a very good one  http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/

also check out ruth beechicks little booklet 'a home start in reading' http://www.amazon.com/Home-Start-Reading-Grades-K-3/dp/0940319004

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Once children learn their first eight phonic sounds (S, A, M, R, N, O, T, D ), they should be able to read their first early reader book.  Then when they learn their next 6 letters (I, B, C, E, G and long A) they should be able to read their second early reader book....so on and so on.    This is important so that the brain is making the connection with phonics and reading as soon as possible. 

How To Teach Children Phonics And Reading (at the same time)

Having had experience in home education, and as a tutor in public schools, I have found that  the computer games teach several of  the phonic sounds incorrectly.  Most of the children I tutor have trouble blending the sounds to form words, because they have learned some of the phonic sounds incorrectly.  The following video explains. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)