Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How about sports, activities and clubs?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your children participate in sports, activities, clubs and organizations at the public schools? Or do they participate in local organizations like rec centers and little leagues?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Replies (11-20):
Britty1987
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM
My son will be in 2nd next year. The local school doesn't have extra curriculars for this age but he plays Little League
JocelynsMama1
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

my daughter does gymnastics an cheerleading at a local gym next year she might do tball and in kindergarten i plan on starting her in girl scouts if she wants...she loves the childrens lituragy at out church and story time at th library

LadeeBellaDonna
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I'm not sure if our PS allows HSers to do extracurricular activities... our state doesn't require that they allow it anyway and nobody has mentioned it. My girls are in twirling though and they practice once a week. There is a dance studio that I might enroll my DD9 into, we figured that since DD5 is so GOOD at twirling we'll keep her in that and my DD12 is interested in cheer so we were going to check out this CheerU, and if that doesn't work out we can put her in the local tumbling studio. My DS will be doing scouts and little league when he gets old enough. There's also a soccer organization but they haven't showed any interest in that. I think there's enough to do without needing to go to the PS.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM
We go to the ymca everyday. My younger three have swim lesson this week.

Quoting FootballFan12:

Do your children participate in sports, activities, clubs and organizations at the public schools? Or do they participate in local organizations like rec centers and little leagues?

FootballFan12
by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Right now, we only do rec center sports but I would like to find other things as well.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Homeschool associations and the local athletic organization.

Mine do the following...

Choir (homeschool group)
Basketball (Upwards, a Christian Athletic group)
Baseball (local athletic club)
Bible Quiz group and Wed night clubs (church)

and my eldest also does sewing group lessons for girls 8 and up at another local church.

lucsch
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM

No. My daughter is involved in a co-op and also a great dance program.

We are not a sports-centered family. One of my sons did play one season of soccer on the JV team in high school--that was it for our four kids.

We are more of a drama, band, choir kind of family. After teaching my dd flute for a few years, I plan on joining the community band with her.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm adamantly opposed to participating in the ps programs, so we create our own opportunities. My son plays chess on Wednesdays, my daughter is on our groups yearbook committee as a photographer and we are in the process of forming a photography club.  Dh is forming a coed softball team at church, dd might be old enough to participate and ds is going to try to play baseball this next season with a city league. They have the opportunity to do drama at a drama camp at a local church this summer, but they're undecided right now.

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

DS does baseball and soccer through the local rec department and hopefully will start some kind of music lessons in the fall.  He still hasn't decided what he wants to learn first and we are still looking for good teachers around here for it, so we will see.

Maridel
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM

We just finished up my dd's first softball season. Both my dd's will do horse riding lessons this summer (my oldes has done them before) and my oldest will also do horse camp. That's about it for now, my oldest is  interested in playing volleyball but she's only 6. My brother runs his own league so maybe in the fall he will let her just attend practices without actually joining the team so she can get at feel for the sport. Then we will have Faith Formation at church and co-op as well. That's more than enought for me lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN