Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How about sports, activities and clubs?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your children participate in sports, activities, clubs and organizations at the public schools? Or do they participate in local organizations like rec centers and little leagues?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Replies (21-28):
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:05 AM
DD is still young but I don't foresee us doing anything through the ps. She'll be 5 next month. She does dance and tumbling at a studio close to us (its a combo class, so 1 hr a week total for both). She starts soccer this fall. We do at least two swim lesson sessions each summer at the city pool. She's in awana at a local church. We might do Girl Scouts, we're still undecided on that one. She's also starting piano as soon as there's an opening at the arts academy she's signed up with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Be glad that you do not have the strings that come attached with equal access. It isn't sad. It is something to rejoice in.

Quoting 101stwife:

Unfortunately in California public schools do not have to allow homeschool students to participate in their sports and other activities. That is very sad to me. We live on a military post in the middle of the Mojave desert, an hour from any other town. So, our activities are limited. My daughter (5yo) is in Daisy Girl Scouts. My youngest son just got done with baseball but there were barely enough kids to play and ended up only have 2 teams comprised of boys and girls from 8-14. That was interesting. My middle son is in track and field but I am not sure that they will ever get to do actual meets...seems like just practicing since there is no one to compete against. My oldest who is 16...well there is nothing for him to do. Well, unless you count paintball which he does every Wednesday. They also do Youth group at the Church which they really enjoy!

101stwife
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Quoting sha_lyn68:

Be glad that you do not have the strings that come attached with equal access. It isn't sad. It is something to rejoice in.

Quoting 101stwife:

Unfortunately in California public schools do not have to allow homeschool students to participate in their sports and other activities. That is very sad to me. We live on a military post in the middle of the Mojave desert, an hour from any other town. So, our activities are limited. My daughter (5yo) is in Daisy Girl Scouts. My youngest son just got done with baseball but there were barely enough kids to play and ended up only have 2 teams comprised of boys and girls from 8-14. That was interesting. My middle son is in track and field but I am not sure that they will ever get to do actual meets...seems like just practicing since there is no one to compete against. My oldest who is 16...well there is nothing for him to do. Well, unless you count paintball which he does every Wednesday. They also do Youth group at the Church which they really enjoy!

What do you mean?

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Quoting 101stwife:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting 101stwife:

What do you mean?

Generally, to have access to public school sports and extra curricular activities comes higher accountability  for all homeschoolers.

101stwife
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Oh. I didn't realize that. When we were in Germany last year I pulled my two 5th graders out after Christmas break but they were still allowed to attend music, PE, art and any extra curriculurs and sports. It was nice. I didn't have to do any extra accounting or anything. I hate how every state is different about homeschooling.

coala
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

So far the outside activities my kids are into is just rollerskating.  They really enjoy it.  The last few weeks they have needed a break and so we have done other things.  I will be taking them swimming at a local pool.  I am going to try and get them into some activities in the fall while we are waiting on our next school year to start. 

mhaney03
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

We are in taekwondo

katinahat
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I'm confused. If you pay the residence taxes and your children would be open to all activities if they attended public schools, then why are they not allowed to benefit from the taxes that their parents pay and participate in group sports and clubs/activities? That is so strange to me.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)