Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi new- and need help with ideas for 2nd grade+3rd grade.

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hi- my name is Krys- I have 3 girls (2 are in public school, the other is a toddler.) My oldest is in 2nd grade and shes having a terrible time and most likely will have to repeat. If a miracle and she passes FL Writes handwritting state test and does good in reading summer camp, she might be able to pass. *Sigh.* My other is in K, and shes doing wonderful (reading at almost a 2nd grader level.)

Okay, my husband is going to his GED program school this year, and then taking the GED and going into the navy. We have talked into SEVERELY doing it once he goes to bootcamp/transfers to schooling or base. We think it will help Hailey my oldest (my youngest thinks its soo cool lol.) Also my kids have gotten strep FIVE times this year... so thats helping me like homeschooling.

So either if I do it this coming yr, they will be 1st grade and 2nd grade (or 3rd if my miracle), or 2nd and 3/4th. What I read is everyone says "read your laws then it will be easier to find what you need for your kids." But Im in a confused state bc I dont know if it will be FL or somewhere else. From the basics this is my general ideas what to do, any blank imputs would help:

Language Arts: All about Reading, Handwritting without tears, --NEED GRAMMAR.

Spelling: All About Spelling

Math: Math U See

Science:

History/Geography:

Art: Pinterest and online resources.

Foriegn Language Spanish:

Thank you in advance!

by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

For science and history for those grades next year we are going to use The Magic Tree House books and The Magic Tree House movies.   Both of your girls can work with those.  The Magic Tree House website has lesson plans.  We are going to use the local Library to supplement what we are learning in each subject. 

Here is the website we are going to use for spanish: http://www.spanishtown.ca/spanishforkids/grade1/monthlyvocabulary/month1activities/audio-colores.htm

http://livemocha.com/pages/languages/spanish/

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I'm not sure I would use All About Reading at their levels - if your kindergartner is reading at a second grade level and your oldest is almost at that point, AAR only goes to level 2 right now. Since they both know the basics, I would be inclined to go with something made to go "all the way" and is cheaper (since you aren't starting from the beginning of reading instruction with them. Phonics Pathways would fit the bill nicely and would work for both girls - you could start them where they are within the book.

Since both know how to write, you could skip Handwriting Without Tears and just move into copywork (like Memoria Press' copywork books).

For grammar I would recommend First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind for both of them (just get an extra student's sheet set).

Also, don't forget about a writing/composition program. Writing With Ease is a good one, but if you're looking for something more traditional, I would go with IEW's PAL writing for your younger, and possibly IEW SWI A for your older kiddo.

Spelling and math look good!

For history I strongly recommend The Story of the World series - both girls could do this. Make sure to get the activity book with it - that's the meat of the program!

Science. At this age I might just recommend Magic School Bus DVDs with Mr. Q's Life Science (your older would be a good level for this; your younger might need some help).

No recs for foreign language. If they were older I'd recommend Duolingo. Maybe "Little Pim"?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Hi!  I use The Complete Book of Spanish Grades 1-3 for Spanish worksheets and Lightning Fast Spanish for the conversation.

I use Story of the World along with National Geographic Kids' Atlases (World and US) for History/Geography.

And I use Evan Moore Dailies for Grammar and Punctuation.

We like what we are doing so far, so I feel comfortable suggesting them.  And We LOVE (LOVE, LOVE) Math U See!  We supplement it with Life of Fred because the kids like the story plus it helps me catch things I hadn't even thought of teaching so thoroughly (months of year, what to wear when it's snowy, Days of the Week, Temperature, etc)  We read a chapter a week and then practice what we learned all week long as a warm-up for "regular" math.  :-)

krysxo
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
  • AutymsMommy - My 2nd grader why she is failing is writting and reading. Her handwritting is horrible (really it is, my middle daughter shes in Kindie and I can actually read her work, my older I have problems with.) And my oldest is of course having probs with her level of reading so my only homeschool mama suggested the All about reading.

Bluerooffarm: Ty for your suggestions, specially spanish!

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM

You will need to follow the laws for the state you live in when home education begins. 

If you will be in Florida, here are important links:  Florida State Laws........Getting Started...Some counties, in Florida,  have some additional requirements.  For information on that, contact your home school district coordinator.    .........Free Form Downloads....Curriculum recommended by Florida Parent Educators Association  (at a discount to members)

For Other States:  How To Find Your State Home School Association (for the above information)

How To Home School has tuns of information to get you started and carry you through high school . 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Also I forgot to mention Lesson Pathways.  It is free and should meet the requirements of most states.  I will use it as a guide a little next year.

http://www.lessonpathways.com/

krysxo
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM

bump

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM

For now, I would get to know Florida law.   Until you actually establish residency elsewhere, you might just stick with them.   Especially since you are pulling them out of school currently, I'm unsure what their normal proceedures are when you pull kids.

I pulled mine and got some frowns from the secretary and teachers.   However, that was it.   My friend pulled her son, and they sent CPS out to investigate... who knows???

With kids that close in age, I would school them on the same level for every combinable subject.  (Handwriting, free reading, read alouds, history, science, art, music, etc...even spelling.   I'd make a combined list of their ages/levels or something.)

And just cater them a math program and a grammar program.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, remember that as a homeschooler, you can split the grades. She can do 3rd grade Math and 2nd grade writing. However she needs to do it. 8) No sense holding her back in subjects where she excells.

oredeb
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

grammar- rod and staff

science- apologia

history/geograpy- abeka, christian liberty, story of the world,

have you checked out this site? http://www.amblesideonline.org/

for language arts http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)