Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

FL Homeschool Mamas advice

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

Please let me know in not legal terms (Haha) what exactly I need to know about thinking about homeschooling my children for next year.

My main concern is not understand this:

"

Each student must do one of the following each year:

1. Have educational progress evaluated by a teacher holding a valid regular Florida teaching certificate and selected by the parent. The evaluation must include review of a portfolio and discussion with the student

2.  Take any nationally normed student achievement test administered by a certified teacher;

3. Take "a state student assessment test used by the school district and administered by a certified teacher, at a location and under testing condition approved by the school district";

4. Be evaluated by a Florida licensed psychologist or school psychologist; or

5.  Be "evaluated with any other valid measurement tool as mutually agreed upon."

Which do you do, and can anyone elaborate what I will have to do? Thanks!

by on May. 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
romacox
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM

. I used a certified teacher, who was also a home educator,  to do an evaluation.   Check with your local home school groups for recommended certified teachers to do this for you.  I would not use just any certified teacher, because some are anti home school.  There are home educators who are  teachers, and who will do the evaluations.  It usually does not involve a test, but she will want to see the child's  portfolio, and she will also ask him several questions. 

krysxo
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Is this only once a year, or several? Thank you :) Any other things I need to know? I do know I have to do a letter statement for homeschool, have to have a portfolo and activity/attendence log. Anything else?

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

We are in Florida too!  I'm not sure about all that, but I do know in Florida you either have to do one of those evaluation things you listed, be under an umbrella school, or have a tutor.  We are under an umbrella school and therefore only have to report attendance quarterly.  No yearly evaluations, testing, or anything like that.  Good luck!

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Heres a good resource for Florida homeschooling laws:  http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/florida.pdf

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Evaluations are  once a year.  But keep in mind that I am now a grandmother, and no longer involved in their evaluations.  So you would be wise to contact a home school group in Florida for more specifics.

Yes, there are several other  things you need to know:

1.  Some Counties  in Florida have recently  added their own laws.  So call your district coordinator about that.  (See link above).  FPEA's Home School District Coordinators are usually most willing to help. 

2.  Getting Started Steps

3.  Requirements

4.  Myth Busters

5.  Frequently Asked Questions (This article has information about the child's portfolio)

6.  Free Downloads (documents you will need)

7.  Recommended Curriculum (for members there is a discount)

Quoting krysxo:

Is this only once a year, or several? Thank you :) Any other things I need to know? I do know I have to do a letter statement for homeschool, have to have a portfolo and activity/attendence log. Anything else?

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM

P.S. A friend of mine used an umbrella school.  She preferred that method.  She home schooled the children, and the school did the annual evaluations.  I don't know if they provided other services. We both used Ring Around The Phonics for phonics, reading, and other language arts subjects. We also both used Math U See

List of umbrella schools

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)