Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Moms who use All about Spelling

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

I saw they do not have a placement test. My children: will be 1st grade, and 2nd or 3rd grade. (my 2nd or 3rd grader is lacking reading and writting so im not sure shes prolly lacking spelling but my 1st grader is on track.)

Any thoughts??

by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM
2 moms liked this

From my experince, my daughter was at "3rd grade" so we started at level 3. Honestly, I wish I would've just started at level one, and then moved throuh it quickly. There little tips and tricks it has through each lesson to make remembering the rules so much easier. We're still moving on from level 3, and she has mastered level 3 this year so next will be level 4, but looking back at 1 and 2, it had covered the stuff she still slightly struggles with. With that, I'd say, start at level one, and let the older ones move through it at a faster pace if they can to get to their "level" or intergrate some level 1 concepts with the older lessons...

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally would start at level one. You really can fly through lessons they understand. Each lesson only takes us a day because my daughter is really good at spelling, but eventually she will get to harder material and we will make each lesson last a few days or more. We are finishing level two, and it could have taken us a month but instead we just did it here and there making it last all year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I started with level one with my 5th grader.  You can go through each lesson quickly until they have problems.

maggiemom2000
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

They strongly encourage you to start at Level 1 no matter what as it is important to have that solid foundation to build upon. I started my son at Level 2 as a 5th grader who was only a little behind. It was mostly easy for him so we went through it pretty quickly. I'm glad I didn't start any higher though because I was surprised by some "gaps".

krysxo
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Thanks :) now if I start them both at lvl 1 can I get by with buying only 1 of the kits (plus both having the workbooks?)
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I guess it's going to depend on how you want to use everything. I would imagine you would only need one set of flash cards for both - however, you'll have to find a way to remember who has "mastered" which card and who still needs work on a card/word.  Also, do you want both kids to use the tiles, or are they going to take turn "building" the words? If you want both kids to build them at the same time, then two sets of letter tiles (and possibly magnents) may be something worth while, but you can also purchase those seperate from the kits so you don't have to buy two full kits...

Quoting krysxo:

Thanks :) now if I start them both at lvl 1 can I get by with buying only 1 of the kits (plus both having the workbooks?)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)