Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I read this today and I thought I would share it.  I know many of you are not Christian homeschoolers and it is VERY clear that this woman is, however the message still resonates with me.  We cannot allow our homeschool to be absolutely school-at-home.  We have to much more we can do and offer to our kids.  It's a great reminder that we do this for our kids to have MORE.  More of us, more attention, more activities, more geared to them....just more!

http://heidistjohn.com/blog/2013/02/11/homeschooling-held-hostage/

by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Replies (11-18):
Maridel
by on May. 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM

awesome article, thanks!

katinahat
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Neat article :) I will certainly have a solid curriculum that meets core standards, but that's only half of what I'm planning for our "school". The other half will be all exploratory, fun, exciting, hands-on learning :) The article did a very good job of focusing on the heart of why we homeschool and what ideals to keep our eyes trained on. Very uplifting.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting katinahat:

Neat article :) I will certainly have a solid curriculum that meets core standards, but that's only half of what I'm planning for our "school". The other half will be all exploratory, fun, exciting, hands-on learning :) The article did a very good job of focusing on the heart of why we homeschool and what ideals to keep our eyes trained on. Very uplifting.

I have a pretty rigorous curriculum, especially for my 2nd grader.  So I often need a reminder to let him explore and have more hands on work, let him take some time to read, and take more breaks to just hug and giggle.  I think we all need that reminder every once in a while.  :-)  Glad it helped.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

this is a terrific article!   I do, however, feel that if you sign up for something (like co-op), then there IS some necessary follow through on doing the assignments and such.   I have also said some of those other things (We will play when you are done with school work, for example).. however, we always followed through on playing when done.

My kids LIKE some school at home stuff, but they also thrive when I skip it and we go to the park to fly kites and read a book.

We enjoy a good blend of it all...

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

this is a terrific article!   I do, however, feel that if you sign up for something (like co-op), then there IS some necessary follow through on doing the assignments and such.   I have also said some of those other things (We will play when you are done with school work, for example).. however, we always followed through on playing when done.

My kids LIKE some school at home stuff, but they also thrive when I skip it and we go to the park to fly kites and read a book.

We enjoy a good blend of it all...

I think that last line is very healthy!  It's what we aim for too!

lucsch
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Balance is good.

melindabelcher
by Mel on May. 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Thankyou for sharing! :)
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM
This is a great reminder for anyone parenting a child, actually. A friend's high schooler is so overloaded with BS busy work from his PS, he never has time to see his friends until a slim sliver of Sunday afternoon, and forget him getting a PT job to buy a car. I'm working on my friend and praying all the time that she will just homeschool him. There is no balance when the child boards the bus at 6:45 a.m., gets home at 4 pm, and frequently does homework until 9 or 10 at night. I attended the same school and it has only gotten worse. It is a drone training program prison way station with high fencing and barbed wire; MANY former students have been incarcerated. Ironically, the school is sited adjacent to the Federal Correctional Institution. This is a kid who really needs SOMEONE to take control and get him some breathing room. I'm sending my friend this link. Thank you for sharing!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)