Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Buggy Friends

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

We have a ton of praying mantis-(es?) that come around every year and love to watch them. We have tons of different kinds of aphids that blend into the local foliage that we love playing "Wheres Waldo" with too. But never before have we gotten the joys of checking out a Luna moth.

I'm not a huge bug fan, but I must admit, discovering them on my own versus discovering that they are on me (or in the house) is a much more comforting feeling lol. We've invited caterpillars into the home (literally from off the street) in jars to watch the whole metamorphis process and then released the butterflies, and this year we purchased mantis eggs to try and keep the dwindling population around here up (I'm starting to miss my stink bug eaters lol). The kids just seem to eat this stuff up, and I am very happy to say that they are becoming less and less afraid of bugs (although my daughter decided to keep her distance from the moth since she hasn't read up on if they were poisonous or not herself yet lol).

Do your kids like discovering the different buggy friends that are in your area/region?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM

good picture!!!

yes the kids love discovering bugs! part of our nature studies almost everyday we can get outside. from picking them off our plants, to chasing them, digging up bugs, finding them under rocks etc!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM

What I'm finding more and more hilarious, my kids are drawn to the stranger, and less known, and even rare bugs, but they are still terrified of very common bugs they see everyday lol - Heaven forbid an ant crawl on them ;)

usmom3
by BJ on May. 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

My kids hunt for caterpillars. When it rains a lot here frogs come out at night & the kids have a frog hunt to see how many they can catch & observe.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I'm pretty sure if went down by the river down the road we'd find tons of frogs...I'd be afraid that my kids would come back with them all and ask to keep them as pets LOL

We found a baby bunny the other day (my dog literally was standing over it and did NOT see it until the poor thing bolted for the plants) and they wanted to keep it as a pet if they caught it. I quickly shoved them in the house til the bunny made the great escape in peace lol. At least with bugs, they don't usually want to keep them inside as pets :)

Quoting usmom3:

My kids hunt for caterpillars. When it rains a lot here frogs come out at night & the kids have a frog hunt to see how many they can catch & observe.

usmom3
by BJ on May. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Haha, my 7y/o wanted to keep the frogs last year when they discovered we had some around our house but we convinced him to let them go & then we got an aquarium with fish & African Dwarf Frogs to placate him. We have rabbits & gophers in our yard too & my kids have asked to catch & keep them all. They have even caught the caterpillars, made a terrarium out of a pot & tried to keep them. I convinced them to keep them for a few hours to observe them & then to release them so they could turn into butterflys in the "wild" (AKA out yard).

Quoting No_Difference:

I'm pretty sure if went down by the river down the road we'd find tons of frogs...I'd be afraid that my kids would come back with them all and ask to keep them as pets LOL

We found a baby bunny the other day (my dog literally was standing over it and did NOT see it until the poor thing bolted for the plants) and they wanted to keep it as a pet if they caught it. I quickly shoved them in the house til the bunny made the great escape in peace lol. At least with bugs, they don't usually want to keep them inside as pets :)

Quoting usmom3:

oredeb
by on May. 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM

hahahahahahah

Quoting No_Difference:

What I'm finding more and more hilarious, my kids are drawn to the stranger, and less known, and even rare bugs, but they are still terrified of very common bugs they see everyday lol - Heaven forbid an ant crawl on them ;)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM
We had a huge Luna moth last year right on our door to go outside, it was about the size of my hand. They are beautiful but a little creepy up close, lol. I really dislike bugs....yesterday I went to go to our little storage area off our house to put away some cans and walked THROUGH a spider web! I started screaming, no one else was home so the dog started barking like crazy...then I composed myself and got the cans put away and carefully came back through and saw part of the web still intact full of tiny baby spiders!!! I screamed again, dog barked again, I immediately got in the shower, lol.

My kids aren't big fans of bugs, but they are interested when they find something new...which seems to happen every year living in the woods.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I probably would have died. Spiders, centiedes, and ear wigs are NOT my idea of a good time whether it be indoors or outdoors. Now I have that crawly feeling everywhere... Will have to make time for an early shower lol

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We had a huge Luna moth last year right on our door to go outside, it was about the size of my hand. They are beautiful but a little creepy up close, lol. I really dislike bugs....yesterday I went to go to our little storage area off our house to put away some cans and walked THROUGH a spider web! I started screaming, no one else was home so the dog started barking like crazy...then I composed myself and got the cans put away and carefully came back through and saw part of the web still intact full of tiny baby spiders!!! I screamed again, dog barked again, I immediately got in the shower, lol.

My kids aren't big fans of bugs, but they are interested when they find something new...which seems to happen every year living in the woods.

Britty1987
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband is ex-Amish. So you know what I was thinking when I read the title lol
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We had a Luna on our window once. My kids aren't huge into bugs, but something amazing like the Luna will always attract attention!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)