Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
So as i was coming home yesterday from taking my son to the park. 3 neighbors were talking. And i think about me. 1 said she doesnt send her kid to school. He home all day. Then other said well i see ppl coming there. (We Co-ed twice a week). And then the other said they teach him there. And one said well its not mandatary until age 6 to send your kid to school. And the last one said i sent my daughter straight to 1st grade. So maybe that is what she doing. My ds is 5. How have you ladies dealt with nosy neighbors? And why are they even talking about me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
energygirl
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM

some folks just don't understand homeschooling....they don't realize how much work and planning it involves or that there are even curriculums out there etc.  I think most of the time they are just curious....and sometimes have the misconception that kids are not being taught........now that my daughter is about to turn 7 (the legal age with IN homeschool laws) we are going to join the HSLD just incase anyone ever questioned what we are doing...and ended up with the school district or law inquiring.  Our next door neighbors said they think what we are doing is great (but the husband is also on the schoolboard....we figured it would be good to join just in case)

Momof697
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I have had people ask So do they need to be tested? Do you need your teaching liscence? Do you have to report your curriculum? WHy do you homeschool? To which I answer their questions and they go away wiser and it gives them something to think about.

arwalters
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Some people are so ignorant, gets on my nerves bad. just yesterday a close friend told me she "disapproves" of my decision to homeschool ds. Seriously? What is there to disapprove of? And the only thing she can think of for a reason is that he needs socialization which he will get as I maintain 2-3 playdates a week plus there is a local homeschool group in my town that meets every Friday for field trips. Not to mention, he's been in soccer & karate and will start a swim class soon. He's getting plenty of socialization for goodness sakes! I guess there will always be people who just don't get it & don't even think about how rude their comments are. I hope homeschooling will continue to be more widely accepted
sdgd21
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
I try to educate them if given the chance,other then that I always say. I was giving, blessed with the boys because God saw
Something in me for them, It is my duty, my business, and my passion to do the best I can by them, a among as I am in the realm of the law, and my children are unharmed, it's no one else's business what I do.
So I ignore them. :-)
101stwife
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I would either ignore it or I would just smile and say that I home school my child. A lot of people are just curious...and then again some are just nosey and rude. You wouldn't believe how many people who have chosen to home school after I've heard them talking about my kids being home. I then jump in and tell them that they are home schooled which opens up to all kinds of questions and discussion. I've had 5 families chose to home school their kids after we talked.

superwoman0105
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Darlin, I am a nosy neighbor too.  It's half the fun of having neighbors.  The difference is that I don't gossip, I get to know them and tell them that I am nosy, and most importantly, whatever questions I have for any of my neighbors I ask them myself.

BramblePatch
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
My neighbors are, in general, part time residents and/or celebrities. They have never been negative in any way. Our town is the Valley of Misfit Dolls, lol....seriously, no one gives a flying squirrel as to what anyone else does because we all are odd in our own way :-)
SusanTheWriter
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

You're in Sun Valley, right? Love it there.

Quoting BramblePatch:

My neighbors are, in general, part time residents and/or celebrities. They have never been negative in any way. Our town is the Valley of Misfit Dolls, lol....seriously, no one gives a flying squirrel as to what anyone else does because we all are odd in our own way :-)

BramblePatch
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM
yup! Do you come for the Writers Conferance?

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

You're in Sun Valley, right? Love it there.

Quoting BramblePatch:

SusanTheWriter
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I wish! I live in IL now, but graduated from BSU. Lived in Donnelly, then down in the valley in Emmett. Dated a guy from McCall and his best friend was from Sun Valley. The best friend also had a share in a place near Idaho City that had natural hot springs that they funneled into hot tubs for each cabin. We took the best weekend trips!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN