Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
So as i was coming home yesterday from taking my son to the park. 3 neighbors were talking. And i think about me. 1 said she doesnt send her kid to school. He home all day. Then other said well i see ppl coming there. (We Co-ed twice a week). And then the other said they teach him there. And one said well its not mandatary until age 6 to send your kid to school. And the last one said i sent my daughter straight to 1st grade. So maybe that is what she doing. My ds is 5. How have you ladies dealt with nosy neighbors? And why are they even talking about me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Replies (21-30):
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I have family overvin McCall....I love it over that way :-)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I wish! I live in IL now, but graduated from BSU. Lived in Donnelly, then down in the valley in Emmett. Dated a guy from McCall and his best friend was from Sun Valley. The best friend also had a share in a place near Idaho City that had natural hot springs that they funneled into hot tubs for each cabin. We took the best weekend trips!

ablessedlife
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't worry about it. It seems completely normal. We talk about our neighbors too.
coala
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I have neighbors that have been interested in "how it works".  I have explained it to them the best that I can.  According to a friend that we have in common they don't approve of the fact that we are homeschooling.  Well, these aren't their kids and they don't get a vote.  If they want to be difficult I can tell you that I don't approve of how they are raising their child.  She spends about 80-90% of her awake time not with her parents.  Her dad is off work by 9 am and mom doesn't go to work until around 10 am.  This child is in daycare and spends most nights with one or the other set of grandparents.  But this isn't my child so I don't tell them how to raise thier family.  FYI they want to have another child in about a year.

ablessedlife
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM
They are probably innocently ignorant and are simply needing to be educated. Hopefully they will respond positively as they learn more about it. Try not to get defensive, but rather educate them in a kind way if you get a chance.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
The people in this house before us were Homeschoolers, too, so they already had the neighbors broke in.
Proud-young-mom
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM
That why i was worried. Are they gonna try and report it when my ds turns legal age?

Quoting energygirl:

some folks just don't understand homeschooling....they don't realize how much work and planning it involves or that there are even curriculums out there etc.  I think most of the time they are just curious....and sometimes have the misconception that kids are not being taught........now that my daughter is about to turn 7 (the legal age with IN homeschool laws) we are going to join the HSLD just incase anyone ever questioned what we are doing...and ended up with the school district or law inquiring.  Our next door neighbors said they think what we are doing is great (but the husband is also on the schoolboard....we figured it would be good to join just in case)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud-young-mom
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Thank you ladies for your advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I gave important to every one who don't even care me. After many lessons, i learned not to care what others think. Just live your life and care for you and for your family and friends.

energygirl
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM

you never know what people will do.....once my daughter meets the age requirement for our state (IN is 7) we are going to join HSLDA just in case.  You know if neighbors did  report you to the local school district...the district might just ignore the report (because they may know the homeschool laws and not have a problem with them) ....or they might just ask you a couple of questions about what your are doing, and then drop it.........or....they can take you to court over something silly. You just never know what folks will do.   I would think most people would no go as far as making a report or something...they would probably just talk about it.......but since you can't join HSLDA after a case has already been filed against you...then to me it makes sense to join just incase.   Our state is very relaxed now, and the local schools seem to have no problems or interest in what homeschoolers are doing.....but that can change in a heartbeat with new people in office (national, local.....school board members) and I'd rather be safe.

lil_mama06
by Debbie on May. 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I was upfront with my next door neighbor when we moved in. Maybe invite them to one of your co ops so they can see first hand what your doing. Or just wave and smile and let them talk..HUGS HUGS HUGS...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)