Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats your favorite homeschool curriculum, publisher ?

Posted by   + Show Post

do you have a favorite?

one you'd recommend to other moms?

something you would always use for homeschooling?

why is it your favorite?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Replies (21-26):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

RightStart Math, Apologia Science, Magic School Bus DVDs & experiment kits (monthly), Handwriting Without Tears love them all!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Life of Fred. His take on approaching math is amazing. Write shop for wtiting. I love how it makes grammar and writing interesting and hands on.
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

If I had to choose one curriculum that stands out above all the rest: MCT - beautiful and well done.

I am a huge fan of All About Spelling. The Logic Of English wasn't as fun as promised - but effective. I have been impressed with Pandia Press thus far (it is our first year with them). Singapore and Math Mammoth work well for us. 

My favorite books have always been those that were written by someone who had an interest in the subject. Curriculums are good tools though for getting through large chunks of information in a concise manner.

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I think we are sticking with Saxon math from here on out, too. We've tried Singapore and Teaching Textbooks, but like Saxon the best. (We also got a deal on some DIVE DVDs that go along with Saxon 54 for $5 at a sale - so those are helpful, too.)

Quoting oredeb:

another one we all like is saxon math, we've used it for 20 years, helped me enjoy teaching  math!

-Teeter-Totter-
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Love the Timberdoodle manipulatives, and starfall's nursery rhymes cds :)

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

We've done Sonlight several of the past five years, either buying the whole thing or buying piecemeal and throwing it together. I think we are going to stick with Sonlight in the future. 

While it's nice to save the money and just get the books used or at the library, the time it takes me to pre-read  EVERYTHING (SL is a lot of reading) and come up with questions, and plan the lessons... it's worth it to just buy the set already planned out. I can always resell it for more than half of what I pay, anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)