Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O What is your least favorite curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

So the other post got me thinking, What curriculum has completely bombed in your house? Maybe I'm the only one who has changed things up so drastically LOL! I'll tell you, I have gone from work-booky, to Charlotte Mason, to unschooling, to textbooks, back to work books, and now have figured out what my kids learn best with, and its a mix of all of the above!  The ones that bombed the worst in my house were Heart of Dakota (love the idea of it, hate the actual reality of it) Mystery of History (coma inducing and not enough re-inforcement of ideas) and Horizons for math.  So tell me. What's your biggest curriculum fail? Maybe you'll save another family the trouble.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I've thought about using Khan Academy, but I just can't figure out how to make sure they get everything they need.  I may need to go back and look at it some more. 

How would you go about doing tests?

Quoting debramommyof4:

It was also slow for her.  We only had it for half a year and she went through the entire book.  She did start disliking math at the time though.  We have got her love of math back up though.  Next year we are using Khan Academy.  I am really interested in Teaching text books but I can not afford it right this secound.

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  My boys do not like math, so I think this would not work for them.  We tried Abeka Algebra 1 but it just didn't work, they moved too fast.   We are using an older version of BJU and it seems to be working okay, but the only reason i could afford it is because I got it from someone who was able to purchase the DVDs since it was the old link versions.  I just can't afford to spend 400.00 on one subject..

Quoting debrammyof4:

We used it in kindergarten.  It was very dry.  She loves math but found it very boring. 

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest hated Saxon Math.  I hated Saxon Math.  We also hate K12's science and history. 

I was thinking about getting Saxon math (algebra 2) for my boys.  Can you tell me why your oldest hated it so much? 

Thank you.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Teaching Textbooks only because it, too, seems algorithm heavy, BUT I do recommend it as a hands off, enjoyable program, especially if your kiddos like computer time!

Make sure to do the placement test; it isn't uncommon for kids to test one or more levels ahead in TT (the course tends to run behind most other curriuclums).

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  I will probably look for something else then.  I am capable of teaching it myself, but I was really looking for a curriculum that taught it for me to help save me some time. 

What about teaching textbooks?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My daughter is older (almost 12) and used an upper level (grade 5) text a couple years ago. It was dry, boring, monotonous... and if appears that the author hates math. I mean, there was no effort to make it interesting.

Also, it's "algorithm heavy, conceptually weak", in my opinion.

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest hated Saxon Math.  I hated Saxon Math.  We also hate K12's science and history. 

I was thinking about getting Saxon math (algebra 2) for my boys.  Can you tell me why your oldest hated it so much? 

Thank you.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Thank you.  That is something else I've heard also.  That worries me a little because I am afraid that it would not teach them what they need to know to do well on the ACT (which is required here to get into college).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not a huge fan of Teaching Textbooks only because it, too, seems algorithm heavy, BUT I do recommend it as a hands off, enjoyable program, especially if your kiddos like computer time!

Make sure to do the placement test; it isn't uncommon for kids to test one or more levels ahead in TT (the course tends to run behind most other curriuclums).

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  I will probably look for something else then.  I am capable of teaching it myself, but I was really looking for a curriculum that taught it for me to help save me some time. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My daughter is older (almost 12) and used an upper level (grade 5) text a couple years ago. It was dry, boring, monotonous... and if appears that the author hates math. I mean, there was no effort to make it interesting.

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM

When you set up the coaches account for yourself you can see how they are doing.  You do not have to have tests but if you want them there are websites.  I only know where to find them for elementary school.  But I know they have them for older grades.

Here is one where you can make your own.

http://quizzes.cc/make-an-online-quiz.php

Quoting starbeck96:

I've thought about using Khan Academy, but I just can't figure out how to make sure they get everything they need.  I may need to go back and look at it some more. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

It was also slow for her.  We only had it for half a year and she went through the entire book.  She did start disliking math at the time though.  We have got her love of math back up though.  Next year we are using Khan Academy.  I am really interested in Teaching text books but I can not afford it right this secound.

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  My boys do not like math, so I think this would not work for them.  We tried Abeka Algebra 1 but it just didn't work, they moved too fast.   We are using an older version of BJU and it seems to be working okay, but the only reason i could afford it is because I got it from someone who was able to purchase the DVDs since it was the old link versions.  I just can't afford to spend 400.00 on one subject..

Quoting debrammyof4:

We used it in kindergarten.  It was very dry.  She loves math but found it very boring. 

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Open to recommendations?

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  That is something else I've heard also.  That worries me a little because I am afraid that it would not teach them what they need to know to do well on the ACT (which is required here to get into college).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Britty1987
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM
I transferred to private school in 11th grade and boy did Abeka English/grammar send me gor a loop! It's very good but hard to just jump into :-/

Quoting starbeck96:

We also use different curriculums but Lifepac Science and Lifepac Math, for us, seems to be terrible.  We stuck through with the Lifepac Science, but i took one look at the Lifepac Math and sold it. 

We also do not like Abeka Grammar.  If my boys had been using it since Kindergarten it may have been okay, but since they came from public school and into 9th grade grammar, it was just too much.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I am definitely open to recommendations.  We are using BJU for Algebra 1, but my boys are finding it very very boring.  Each lesson is around 45 minutes, but because this was recorded as live, there are alot of things they have to skip over since it is them putting in answers, calling in, etc.  I think they would like something else better. 

I am really looking into the Khan academy.  So far i really like what I see.  I also believe that since they can do each section several times (at least on the regular account they can), I thought maybe I could use one set per section as tests.  They could just write everything down that they do.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Open to recommendations?

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, I will have to look into that.

I also believe that since they can do each section several times (at least on the regular account they can), I thought maybe I could use one set per section as tests.  They could just write everything down that they do.

Quoting debramommyof4:

When you set up the coaches account for yourself you can see how they are doing.  You do not have to have tests but if you want them there are websites.  I only know where to find them for elementary school.  But I know they have them for older grades.

Here is one where you can make your own.

http://quizzes.cc/make-an-online-quiz.php

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debrammyof4:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

oredeb
by debbie on May. 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

some of the curr i'd never use again are

bju science

abeka math

lucsch
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Although I like Rod & Staff for English,  we quit using their math after 2 years. Its mastery based format was very effective, but so boring for my daughter. Plus, it switches from workbooks to textbooks for 3rd grade. Another one was Rod & Staff Health. It was not anything like aBeka's Health, which I use now.  It had too many Mennonite lifestyle references.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)