Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

S/O What is your least favorite curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

So the other post got me thinking, What curriculum has completely bombed in your house? Maybe I'm the only one who has changed things up so drastically LOL! I'll tell you, I have gone from work-booky, to Charlotte Mason, to unschooling, to textbooks, back to work books, and now have figured out what my kids learn best with, and its a mix of all of the above!  The ones that bombed the worst in my house were Heart of Dakota (love the idea of it, hate the actual reality of it) Mystery of History (coma inducing and not enough re-inforcement of ideas) and Horizons for math.  So tell me. What's your biggest curriculum fail? Maybe you'll save another family the trouble.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Textbooks, workbooks were fine, and History Odyssey.  My daughter hates reading from an encyclopedia.

OOO and Teaching Textbook Math 7 was a bust here.  My daugther hates that it's on the computer and that after two times getting the problem wrong it is marked wrong and the teacher has to go delete the problems to be able to try again to see if she has gotten how to work the problem.

sdgd21
by on May. 18, 2013 at 4:09 AM
Virtual school (connections academy)
MammaG08
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Why did you all hate Saxon Math?  I am considering buying it for my son who will be in kindergarden level next year. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest hated Saxon Math.  I hated Saxon Math.  We also hate K12's science and history. 

MammaG08
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Have you heard about Math-U-See?  They have tutuorials before each lesson.  I am debating between that program and Sazon Math, and I want to get one to stick with for the long haul. 

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  My boys do not like math, so I think this would not work for them.  We tried Abeka Algebra 1 but it just didn't work, they moved too fast.   We are using an older version of BJU and it seems to be working okay, but the only reason i could afford it is because I got it from someone who was able to purchase the DVDs since it was the old link versions.  I just can't afford to spend 400.00 on one subject..

Quoting debrammyof4:

We used it in kindergarten.  It was very dry.  She loves math but found it very boring. 

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest hated Saxon Math.  I hated Saxon Math.  We also hate K12's science and history. 

I was thinking about getting Saxon math (algebra 2) for my boys.  Can you tell me why your oldest hated it so much? 

Thank you.

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM

BOB JONES!

AND AOP!

superwoman0105
by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Our least favorite was K12 curriculum.  We started our first year of homeschool with it because I thought that it would help me to have some guidance and assistance in this journey.  Well, we made it through K12 for one month and we pulled out and sent all the material back.  Here are our reasons why: 

1. My son was starting second grade but said he had learned all of the stuff in first grade.  I thought it was just review of first grade material so we stuck it out for one month.  It just got worse and he kept getting bored.

2.  My job was to be the "learning coach" but I was really teaching everything.  That was ok but then K12 gave my son a teacher and required my son to attend online classes too.  He had two online classes every single day.  I couldn't understand why I had to teach everything and then he still had to get online for class.

3. K12 required that we log 6 hours of school time everyday, and that didn't include breaks or lunch.  Well, we were getting burnt out and I was starting to feel like what we were doing was never enough because it wasn't about learning and understanding, it was about logging those hours and working until we did.

4. Lastly, we had to submit work samples to K12 for approval by certain deadlines.  Well, this program was supposed to be flexible and I was told students work at their own pace and can do the lessons that interest them.  However, when it was time to submit work samples, we could not submit the work we had done based on my student's interests, we had to submit the lessons they told us to but we hadn't gotten to those lessons yet so we would have to work extra time to get those lessons done so he would not get reprimanded by his teacher. 

My son would beg to go back to school because he was so tired of working all day long.  When I say all day, I mean, from 7:30-5pm, every single day.  We pulled out of K12, started Abeka, and did our own thing.  We now get our lessons done from 8:30 am - 2 pm Monday-Thursday and have Test day on Friday, and those hours include breaks and lunch.  It's so laid back now and we love it.  I know this was lengthy but I hope it helps.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

She found it really boring and dry.  She said it went slow.  Though she did finish it in half a year.  I hated the dialog and when I used it she would not do the work.  So I did not use it I just taught her.

Quoting MammaG08:

Why did you all hate Saxon Math?  I am considering buying it for my son who will be in kindergarden level next year. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM
100 EZ was a complete fail.

MUS just wasn't a good fit for us but I wouldn't call it a bad curriculum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Oak Meadow was a fail with both kids.
Delightful Reading brought tears to DD
Rod and Staff anything was a major miss.
101stwife
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

We hated Learning Language Arts through Literature and All American History. I am still not sure how I feel about A Reason for Science...just doesn't seem like there is enough to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)