Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

S/O What is your least favorite curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

So the other post got me thinking, What curriculum has completely bombed in your house? Maybe I'm the only one who has changed things up so drastically LOL! I'll tell you, I have gone from work-booky, to Charlotte Mason, to unschooling, to textbooks, back to work books, and now have figured out what my kids learn best with, and its a mix of all of the above!  The ones that bombed the worst in my house were Heart of Dakota (love the idea of it, hate the actual reality of it) Mystery of History (coma inducing and not enough re-inforcement of ideas) and Horizons for math.  So tell me. What's your biggest curriculum fail? Maybe you'll save another family the trouble.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (31-40):
FordUnschoolMom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:47 AM

My son used TT for alg 1 thru pre-calc. He was about 75% thru alg 2 at the time he took the ACT and scored a 33. Seemed rigorous enough to me.

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  That is something else I've heard also.  That worries me a little because I am afraid that it would not teach them what they need to know to do well on the ACT (which is required here to get into college).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not a huge fan of Teaching Textbooks only because it, too, seems algorithm heavy, BUT I do recommend it as a hands off, enjoyable program, especially if your kiddos like computer time!

Make sure to do the placement test; it isn't uncommon for kids to test one or more levels ahead in TT (the course tends to run behind most other curriuclums).

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  I will probably look for something else then.  I am capable of teaching it myself, but I was really looking for a curriculum that taught it for me to help save me some time. 

What about teaching textbooks?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My daughter is older (almost 12) and used an upper level (grade 5) text a couple years ago. It was dry, boring, monotonous... and if appears that the author hates math. I mean, there was no effort to make it interesting.

Also, it's "algorithm heavy, conceptually weak", in my opinion.

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest hated Saxon Math.  I hated Saxon Math.  We also hate K12's science and history. 

I was thinking about getting Saxon math (algebra 2) for my boys.  Can you tell me why your oldest hated it so much? 

Thank you.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Wow that's great!

My boys really struggle with math so I definitely need something that has a lot of review.  I have also thought about using Math U See because I've heard alot about it.

I have heard great things about TT, but it is just so expensive, even used..

Quoting FordUnschoolMom:

My son used TT for alg 1 thru pre-calc. He was about 75% thru alg 2 at the time he took the ACT and scored a 33. Seemed rigorous enough to me.

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  That is something else I've heard also.  That worries me a little because I am afraid that it would not teach them what they need to know to do well on the ACT (which is required here to get into college).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not a huge fan of Teaching Textbooks only because it, too, seems algorithm heavy, BUT I do recommend it as a hands off, enjoyable program, especially if your kiddos like computer time!

Make sure to do the placement test; it isn't uncommon for kids to test one or more levels ahead in TT (the course tends to run behind most other curriuclums).

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  I will probably look for something else then.  I am capable of teaching it myself, but I was really looking for a curriculum that taught it for me to help save me some time. 

What about teaching textbooks?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My daughter is older (almost 12) and used an upper level (grade 5) text a couple years ago. It was dry, boring, monotonous... and if appears that the author hates math. I mean, there was no effort to make it interesting.

Also, it's "algorithm heavy, conceptually weak", in my opinion.

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest hated Saxon Math.  I hated Saxon Math.  We also hate K12's science and history. 

I was thinking about getting Saxon math (algebra 2) for my boys.  Can you tell me why your oldest hated it so much? 

Thank you.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Apparently trying to come up with my own/ using a "bit of thisa bit of that" found online lol

Spectrum workbooks only worked for a little bit, they're used now as supplement only

History Odyssey was and wasn't a bomb for us. Some aspects worked, and others didn't. We're using STOW more in conjuction with it, going between the two for lessons, and taking a lot of the "extras" (not projects) out so there isn't info over load, and we had to do away with most of the writing. So I guess for that, the actually program bombed, but we found a way to make it work for us instead of strictly following it.

Atelier didn't work with us so much for art. None of us could stan the videos, but the program seemed to lack with out it for us too. We're trying Artistic Pursuits this coming year.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to say Connections too

Quoting sdgd21:

Virtual school (connections academy)

lil_mama06
by Debbie on May. 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM

For us Tapestry of Grace. I love the idea of it, but the girls HATED it.  A World of Adventure, same thing. They do well with lapbooks so I'll be buying some and they like a few workbooks. My youngest is 6 and some days she just HATES to school...

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

What was Heart Of Dakota like? I hear about people using it a lot, but have never seen it.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

HOD is really good for a mom who really needs an open and go TG, scripted lessons, and all inclusive. But you really, I mean really need to love reading out loud to your kids. And your kids need to love sitting and listening to you read. I truly loved the intertwining of history and science and the hands on, project based assignments. Most people love it if they are die-hard Charlotte Mason-ers. I guess I'm just not one of those people. My kids thought the science was completely lame. For the age group I did, the science was these cute little paperbacks about different habitats and climates. Well, my kids were waiting for "real" science, not magic schoolbus type "adventures". It seemed a little young. It is heavily Christian, which I wanted, but the history was all Bible history, and the rest of the world didn't exist. My weird kids like having obvious assignments, like you'd find in a workbook or end-of-chapter questions, and this is all about narration, journaling, drawing, and copy work. I couldn't tell if they were getting anything out of it and they kept asking when the real work was going to start. If I had started this method when they were tiny, I could've probably made it work, but we're just too traditional and it was just too "gentle" for my kids. They're pretty hard-core LOL.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What was Heart Of Dakota like? I hear about people using it a lot, but have never seen it.

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Yeah, that does NOT sound like anything I would like, at all. 

Quoting Leissaintexas:

HOD is really good for a mom who really needs an open and go TG, scripted lessons, and all inclusive. But you really, I mean really need to love reading out loud to your kids. And your kids need to love sitting and listening to you read. I truly loved the intertwining of history and science and the hands on, project based assignments. Most people love it if they are die-hard Charlotte Mason-ers. I guess I'm just not one of those people. My kids thought the science was completely lame. For the age group I did, the science was these cute little paperbacks about different habitats and climates. Well, my kids were waiting for "real" science, not magic schoolbus type "adventures". It seemed a little young. It is heavily Christian, which I wanted, but the history was all Bible history, and the rest of the world didn't exist. My weird kids like having obvious assignments, like you'd find in a workbook or end-of-chapter questions, and this is all about narration, journaling, drawing, and copy work. I couldn't tell if they were getting anything out of it and they kept asking when the real work was going to start. If I had started this method when they were tiny, I could've probably made it work, but we're just too traditional and it was just too "gentle" for my kids. They're pretty hard-core LOL.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I'm with you on K12 Science -- at least at the Junior High Level.

Quoting debramommyof4:

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I am greatful for all of the opinions.....this is helpful as we may need to look into something different for one of my kids.

Has anyone used CLE and how do the PACE's work?  How much "teaching" does a parent have to take on?  I have a super advanced child and was thinking about this curriculum for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)