Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

One of the Insecure days :(

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am having one of those days where I start to doubt my abilities as a home school mom.
I really hate days like this.
I'm struggling with school through the whole year or taking a nice long summer break. My kids don't do good with long breaks. They get growly and grumpy with each other. They do better with the structure.
I look at them both and see how far they have each come this year, but I also see areas that need work..and the thought of taking a break of any kind stresses out! Then..I remind myself that they are 5 and almost 8 and are only children once Ahh! Ugh!
I guess I will just stick with the original plan of taking 2-3 weeks off at the beginning of June. Then see where we wind up.
sorry..this post has no real point, I just needed somewhere to get it all out.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

We buy the summer workbooks and the girls do a page or two a day.  It gives them something to do and helps me feel like they will not forget what they learned.  Then we play and do fun outdoor educational (shhh dont tell the kids) stuff.  They learn to swim and we walk around and look at animals.  We go to the zoo.  We are planning a trip to Knotts Berry again, to walk around not just rides.  It will be lots of fun and very educational.

energygirl
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I have days where I wonder if I am doing it right etc......and sometimes have overwhelmed days too...so know that you are not alone.  So they are 5 and 8?  Mine are 3, 5 and almost 7.......we are taking the summer off from our regular routine of subjects...but trying to incoroporate some field trips...and outside exploring.  I want to do some reading review in the summer but maybe one day a week or something.....I am not worried about reviewing math too much since it came so easily to my oldest.  I did pick up some free workbooks for them to practise in for "play" because they all like worksheets...but I am not going to have them do it each day.  I do find that I feel more overwhelmed when I haven't gotten a "me time" break.  2x per year a friend of mine have some "Mom time" by going out to dinner and then a little shopping (not to buy much..just for fun to feel like a woman in addition to being a mom and teacher....) probably sounds silly...but for me just having that 2x a year makes a big difference.   We also do more play groups in the summer........(since our schooled friends are off) which gives kids some time to play with someone they don't see everyday...and me a chance to chat with another mom or two.  You said your kids like structure...is there a library with story or kid program in the summer.......?  Maybe see how a coule of weeks off in June do...and then decide when to start up.....they may be more relaxed and enjoy the break more than you think they will....good luck

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on May. 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM
thanks for the ideas. :) glad to know I am not the only one that stresses about this stuff.
our children are pretty close in age then. I actually have three. 2.5, 5.5 and 8 (at the end of the month)
I do have a few things planned for them this summer..and the school I was/am planning for the summer is just basics. math, reading and writing. planning to shelve the science and history until fall. especially since I need some time to get some planning finished before we start again as well. :)
some days is all piles up on me and I start stressing about 10 years from now..and forget about the here and now. lol

Quoting energygirl:

I have days where I wonder if I am doing it right etc......and sometimes have overwhelmed days too...so know that you are not alone.  So they are 5 and 8?  Mine are 3, 5 and almost 7.......we are taking the summer off from our regular routine of subjects...but trying to incoroporate some field trips...and outside exploring.  I want to do some reading review in the summer but maybe one day a week or something.....I am not worried about reviewing math too much since it came so easily to my oldest.  I did pick up some free workbooks for them to practise in for "play" because they all like worksheets...but I am not going to have them do it each day.  I do find that I feel more overwhelmed when I haven't gotten a "me time" break.  2x per year a friend of mine have some "Mom time" by going out to dinner and then a little shopping (not to buy much..just for fun to feel like a woman in addition to being a mom and teacher....) probably sounds silly...but for me just having that 2x a year makes a big difference.   We also do more play groups in the summer........(since our schooled friends are off) which gives kids some time to play with someone they don't see everyday...and me a chance to chat with another mom or two.  You said your kids like structure...is there a library with story or kid program in the summer.......?  Maybe see how a coule of weeks off in June do...and then decide when to start up.....they may be more relaxed and enjoy the break more than you think they will....good luck

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM
4 moms liked this

When I have insecuredays my wonderful husband reminds me of a few things... 1) if they were in public school I would be upset that they didn't know what I thought they ought to and would have no time with them in order t fix the holes I see in their education because they come home tired and cranky with homework to do.  2) At this time of year the chools everywhere are taking time off for field trips, track and field days, and assemblies because everyone is feeling the end of year strain.  3) We do what we can for them, provide the best education we can at the time we are providing it, same as a public school teacher.  4) You can always take a break and make it as short or as long as you need it to be.  5) For just one minute think about the fact that you are more invested in your child's education than any public school teacher can possibly be.  Nothing against public school teachers as I once was one, BUT they will have your child in class for one year (typically), they will also have 20 or more other kids in their classroom at the same time.  They will teach hundreds or thousands of children over the course of their career, you will only have YOUR children.  You will do what is best.  :-)  It always makes me feel better.

gratefulgal
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Me, too! I have a five and a three year old and just the thought of teaching the 3 year old to read like I did the 5 yr. old gets to me sometimes. I get down on myself because I NEVER have enough time for ANYTHING, and I freak out that they will forget everything, or that I don't give my 3yr old the "preschool" experience I did with the 5yr old when he was that age. ARGGGGG! lol.

I think your idea of a break is a good one, for a few weeks. As much stress as it is planning and getting all their school stuff lined up, it's so much more stress to get after them all them time for fighting, not sharing, tattling, etc. (You might notice that I've had a day like that today.) We worked it so our 5yr old has 3 educational/fun summer morning camps in June (about one week each) and then we'll take a 1 week vacation from school at the end of July. We school through the year, and each child starts at a different time (just worked  out that way.)

If you take all summer (which is really only about 6-7 weeks now), and they forget something, you'll be scared you didn't teach them well enough, yada yada yada. Good luck, and happy summer!

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

thanks for the ideas. :) glad to know I am not the only one that stresses about this stuff.
our children are pretty close in age then. I actually have three. 2.5, 5.5 and 8 (at the end of the month)
I do have a few things planned for them this summer..and the school I was/am planning for the summer is just basics. math, reading and writing. planning to shelve the science and history until fall. especially since I need some time to get some planning finished before we start again as well. :)
some days is all piles up on me and I start stressing about 10 years from now..and forget about the here and now. lol

Quoting energygirl:

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on May. 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks you. :) that is a nice reminder.
There is just so much going on lately and I am stressing.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

When I have insecuredays my wonderful husband reminds me of a few things... 1) if they were in public school I would be upset that they didn't know what I thought they ought to and would have no time with them in order t fix the holes I see in their education because they come home tired and cranky with homework to do.  2) At this time of year the chools everywhere are taking time off for field trips, track and field days, and assemblies because everyone is feeling the end of year strain.  3) We do what we can for them, provide the best education we can at the time we are providing it, same as a public school teacher.  4) You can always take a break and make it as short or as long as you need it to be.  5) For just one minute think about the fact that you are more invested in your child's education than any public school teacher can possibly be.  Nothing against public school teachers as I once was one, BUT they will have your child in class for one year (typically), they will also have 20 or more other kids in their classroom at the same time.  They will teach hundreds or thousands of children over the course of their career, you will only have YOUR children.  You will do what is best.  :-)  It always makes me feel better.

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad you found your answer, and you are welcome to bounce it off of us anytime.  

sdgd21
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Sorry. I have those days, we had a crazy year so my poor kids have really had it. But a good friend once told me, " you ate right where god wants you, he know your limits and how hard you try." And it's true, I do. And when I look at the big picture they are really doing pretty good.
So give your self a hug. And keep doing the best you can. And get help when you need it.
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I suggest experimenting until you find a schedule that gets you there.  Never stress over something you can do anything about.  It is pointless.  I know it is easier said than done.  I always have to keep reminding myself not to worry about things I can't change.  If it is something that I can change than I simply just work on it.  I while back  I adopted a policy that works well for me.  I make priorities, do the best I can and don't worry about those things that I cannot change.  When you get get stressed take some time with yourself.  Join a gym with childcare.  Go get a workout and relieve some stress.  Maybe go for a walk with your boys or hiking.  Read a book and get your mind off of what is bothering you.  I suggest figuring out what helps you destress the most.  Remember we all have days like this.  Don't be hard on yourself and no matter what you are doing great.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I like the idea of a break and I totally get the year round school thing. I'm pretty sure I will always do that with LO. He's a little burned out on speech right now, so I bought more construction paper, new alphabet magnets and some different animal "Toobs" to use, and I will just tweak everything to fit the animal subjects. He's gonna flip when he sees the new DinoToob! LOL. We are also taking a week off to visit family, and then painting the inside of our townhouse the week we get back. That will give LO a decent break.

My mom was pretty hands off and didn't want to be bothered, but sometimes that worked to our advantage. I periodically was allowed to bring home loads of library books to read, and she bought us stacks of workbooks in the summer during our elementary years. My brother and I loved those workbooks. My stepmother works with a lady who gives her kids the options to write movie or book reports in the summer. My stepmother is really straitlaced and she finds the idea really weird lol, but I got the impression that the kids still have to read a certain number of books during the summer. Maybe something like that could work for the summer, only with specific topics of study that you choose?

GL! If they get bored and wily, have them run in circles in the yard or do housework. ;0)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)