Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

One of the Insecure days :(

Posted by   + Show Post
I am having one of those days where I start to doubt my abilities as a home school mom.
I really hate days like this.
I'm struggling with school through the whole year or taking a nice long summer break. My kids don't do good with long breaks. They get growly and grumpy with each other. They do better with the structure.
I look at them both and see how far they have each come this year, but I also see areas that need work..and the thought of taking a break of any kind stresses out! Then..I remind myself that they are 5 and almost 8 and are only children once Ahh! Ugh!
I guess I will just stick with the original plan of taking 2-3 weeks off at the beginning of June. Then see where we wind up.
sorry..this post has no real point, I just needed somewhere to get it all out.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Replies (11-14):
101stwife
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

No need to take long breaks mama! I plan to school year round. That way we can take days off as needed through out the year, long weekends from time to time and family vacations on the off season. If you feel like taking a week off for some summer fun do it! But don't feel like you have to take weekS off. Do  what works for your family!! (((HUGS)))

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM

There is no law that one can not keep a general learning during the summer. We take a break from scheduled school and instead do projects - one summer the kids learned oceanography, another they did anatomy, these were relaxed projects - where we just tried to do a little work on them each week - with no pressure and lots of fun activities. So, technically, we are year long HSers. 

I know a bunch of other moms that continue HSing once a week or so through the summer. There is no right nor wrong. Feel things out as you go along!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM

And remember, HS is fine at an hour or so a day - which is completely do-able even during the fun summer months.

rhiannonaisling
by on May. 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I buy my kids summer workbooks and they do one english and one math page a day of their choice and reveiw either sightwords or multiplication tables and practice writting...takes maybe 1-1.5 hours 4 days a week and the other three days involve structured crafts (making jewelry or sewing usually). We also go to the zoo, museums, and go to the YMCA in our area for swimming and working out. And take some me time...go get a pedicure if that is your thing or out to dinner and a movie or shopping without getting anything for your kids. Once a year (minimum) I go get a manicure and pedicure, get my hair trimmed and my face done up, then go out to dinner, hit the bookstore and the theater and leave dh to watch the kids alone...most of the time by myself since I am more of a loner than a people person...and then at least 3 times a year dh and I take a day to have a date without the kids...We go out to dinner and a movie and then go to a store to get something nice for each of us since most of the time we get little or nothing except necessities and get the kids what we can. (Especially right now while dh is out of work and in school)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)