Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa laws

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 4 Replies
I'm just curious, but our local school district banned the teachers from doing the supervised teacher option? Is that legal? We wanted to join the HSAP but it's too late. Does this affect the portfolio option? Thanks in advance!
by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Britty1987
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I forgot to add that our district doesn't have the HSAP, but a local one does. It's too late for us to join. Another homeschool mom said that our local district banned teachers from doing the supervised teacher option. I wasn't sure if that was legal? Can we only have a supervised teacher from a certain school if the school has the HSAP?

Quoting RockEducation:

https://www.homeschooliowa.org/faq/publicschoolhsap.html

RockEducation
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Quoting Britty1987:

I forgot to add that our district doesn't have the HSAP, but a local one does. It's too late for us to join. Another homeschool mom said that our local district banned teachers from doing the supervised teacher option. I wasn't sure if that was legal? Can we only have a supervised teacher from a certain school if the school has the HSAP?

Quoting RockEducation:

If you want to enroll your child in another district to utilize their HSAP, you will want to find out their open enrollment date. When I checked it was March 1st, but it could be different for your area. I didn't know if that's what you meant by it being too late.

If you choose  supervision by an Iowa certified teacher, it  can either be through the HSAP or you can go independent by privately retaining a teacher that you select.

It seems strange (that the person you know said) they banned teachers (in this district) from doing the STO. You said that your district doesn't have a HSAP. Schools in Iowa are not required to have one, but if they do, they then must have someone that is qualified to assess the children that are enrolled in the HSAP. I would be meeting with the Superintendent to find out more information about this ban. (?)

If you choose annual assessment, you have three options:

Results from standardized testing.

A report from a certified teacher's evaluation of a portfolio of your child's work.

A report from an accredited correspondence school your child is enrolled in.

From my experience, pertaining to how the ST is selected, it is the person that is employed by the school. Ours is called a homeschool coordinator and he is the ST. Hope that helps answer your questions.

How old is your child?

Britty1987
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
7. He'll be in 2nd grade next year

Quoting RockEducation:

Quoting Britty1987:

Quoting RockEducation:

If you want to enroll your child in another district to utilize their HSAP, you will want to find out their open enrollment date. When I checked it was March 1st, but it could be different for your area. I didn't know if that's what you meant by it being too late.

If you choose  supervision by an Iowa certified teacher, it  can either be through the HSAP or you can go independent by privately retaining a teacher that you select.

It seems strange (that the person you know said) they banned teachers (in this district) from doing the STO. You said that your district doesn't have a HSAP. Schools in Iowa are not required to have one, but if they do, they then must have someone that is qualified to assess the children that are enrolled in the HSAP. I would be meeting with the Superintendent to find out more infomation about this ban. (?)

If you choose annual assessment, you have three options:

Results from standardized testing.

A report from a certified teacher's evaluation of a portfolio of your child's work.

A report from an accredited correspondence school your child is enrolled in.

From my experience, pertaining to how the ST is selected, it is the person that is employed by the school. Ours is called a homeschool coordinator and he is the ST. Hope that helps answer your questions.

How old is your child?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)