Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to group and homeschooling :)

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi everyone!

I just posted a paragraph up in the introduce yourself forum! I'm excited to get ideas from more experienced homeschoolers!

Question-- for Language Arts, I plan on using A Beka Language 1 the seat workbook. Do I need the text to go with it? Will I just have to teach the concepts first each day on my own? Any one had  experience with it?

Also, "Building Spelling Skills" came today--looks awesome! Any one use this before?

Carolineconfused

by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Hello! I have not used any of them.
oredeb
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM

welcome caroline!!! great to meet you!

ive used abeka language 1 before, but didnt get the teachers manual (is that what you mean by text?)  i just taught a lesson a day on my own, its pretty explanatory, well it was when i used them! that was a long time ago! ive not seen any new updated workbooks lately.

building spelling skills,  are you talking bout the workbooks by christian liberty? if so there my favorite ones! ive used them

how old is your child?

Leahsmom2007
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thank you! Yes, I think I do mean the teacher's manual. It's good to know I can do the language 1 without the other A Beka programs.

I am talking about the spelling skills by christian liberty! Glad to know you liked it. It looks awesome! My only worry is that my daughter has difficulty souding out words at all, and I fear it may be too challenging (I'm wondering if she is dyslexic). It was so worth the money!

My daugher Leah, is going to be in first grade this year. She is just finishing up Kindergarten in the public school now.

Thanks for your response!

Quoting oredeb:

welcome caroline!!! great to meet you!

ive used abeka language 1 before, but didnt get the teachers manual (is that what you mean by text?)  i just taught a lesson a day on my own, its pretty explanatory, well it was when i used them! that was a long time ago! ive not seen any new updated workbooks lately.

building spelling skills,  are you talking bout the workbooks by christian liberty? if so there my favorite ones! ive used them

how old is your child?

Carolineconfused

irvinehiker
by Andrea on May. 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I have not used any of the mentioned curriculum but welcome to the group!  :)

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I used abeka la 1 this year. I bought the lesson plans but I didn't get the teachers manual. The teacher's manual just has the answers for the student text, which at this age is easy to answer.
Leahsmom2007
by on May. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Do you think it would be easy enough to do without the lesson plans? I think it looks like I could do, I just want to make sure.

And thanks to everyone for all the welcoming!

Quoting Dawn07:

I used abeka la 1 this year. I bought the lesson plans but I didn't get the teachers manual. The teacher's manual just has the answers for the student text, which at this age is easy to answer.

Carolineconfused

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on May. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Welcome! :)
I have the Abeka language arts Seatwork Books. I have 1st, 2ndand 3rdred grade. I do not have the teachers guide for the 1st grade book, but do for the other two. The teachers guides are copies of the workbooks with the correct answers filled it.
the books are fairly explanitory without the guides. ;)
trendy2
by on May. 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Hi! I'm just starting HS as well. This group is extremely helpful.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I'm sure it's possible. I just wasn't sure of my self so I got it. It not only tells you when to teach something, but it tells you how. It tells you when to introduce the charts and it has games to play that help reinforce the concept.

Quoting Leahsmom2007:

Do you think it would be easy enough to do without the lesson plans? I think it looks like I could do, I just want to make sure.

And thanks to everyone for all the welcoming!

Quoting Dawn07:

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
We used BSS for half the year. DS had little retention on the rules, even though he was scoring 90% or higher on the tests every week and usually spot on perfect on the worksheets. We shelved it for Learning to Spell Through Copywork from Queens and its a much better fit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)