Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How would they know...

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 23 Replies
If a person were to choose to use their home state as the state they follow for HS laws vs the state they are living in for a few months? How would anyone know the difference?
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Im not sure I understand what you're asking. Use your state for what? Who are we talking about?
trendy2
by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Oops. Just realized I left part of my post out. The HS laws for their state instead is using the laws of the state they are in for several months.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Im not sure I understand what you're asking. Use your state for what? Who are we talking about?
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, the same way anyone knows if you break other laws. You get caught. Just one nosy neighbor who catches your kids outside during school is all it takes to get the school superintendent calling you to see why you arent enrolled in school. Then getting in trouble for not reporting or whatever it is they require. Why risk it? I would just jump through whatever hoops I had to until I got back home.
jeweldragons
by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

BUMP!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Not sure if anyone would actually know, unless people got nosy and started asking questions.  If you can prove that you are only there a few months then it should be no problem.  As for me, being military, I'd love to use AZ as my homeschool laws, since that is our home of reference.  Since we don't actually live there and are stationed else where, we have to use the state we are living in.  If I didn't use an association and people started asking questions about why my daughter isn't in school, I could be in trouble because the base will not say that we are using our home of reference for homeschool laws.

trendy2
by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I'm just curious how they would know.  I have a friend who HS her daughter here in NC.  She was asking me how would they know if I were to use NC vs whatever state we may be living in for a short period of time.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on May. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

No one  would know unless you cross paths with some nosy people.  If your child has never been registered in public school or registered as homeschooled in the state you will be living temporarily there would be no record of your child there.  To be completely compliant I would consider contacting hslda.org so you aware of your rights and responsibilities.    

usmom3
by BJ on May. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I think this is one of those gray arias that will depend on each state & their laws.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
101stwife
by on May. 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM

From what I was told (my husband is military) we can use our home of record laws for homeschooling if we want. I don't though, this is our first full year and I am using the states that we reside in.

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Probably not.. However if they found out it could mean problems.. Just saying!

I would use the requirements of the stricter state! Just to be safe!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN