Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
If a person were to choose to use their home state as the state they follow for HS laws vs the state they are living in for a few months? How would anyone know the difference?
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I was told we had to comply with the state we reside in.  I would so love to use our home of record state.

Quoting 101stwife:

From what I was told (my husband is military) we can use our home of record laws for homeschooling if we want. I don't though, this is our first full year and I am using the states that we reside in.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on how long you are there. If you are establishing residency - signing a rental agreement, buying a house, getting a DL issued by that state, paying for utilities in that state - you should go by that state's requirements. If you are there as a visitor - like living with a friend or relative, and not doing any of the above, you aren't really a resident of the state. Most states have laws (here it's 30 days, imagine it's similar elsewhere) where you are legally considered a 'resident.' 

oredeb
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

i dont think anyone would know the difference

trendy2
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Most everyone I have talked to days my state (NC) is a hard state but my friend who HS her child here says that it's one of the easiet.
arwalters
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM
from what I understand, if u live in a state long enough that you are required to transfer you drivers license & license plates to that state then that is the state with whose hs laws u must comply by
trendy2
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM
We would possibly be in some states for 6 months but would not ever change our plates or license.

Quoting arwalters:

from what I understand, if u live in a state long enough that you are required to transfer you drivers license & license plates to that state then that is the state with whose hs laws u must comply by
goldilocksbecky
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I teach in NC (public school) and the HS laws are not hard at all.  Basically you have to register with the state (once they are 7).  You have to keep attendance records.  And the person listed as instructor/leader has to have a high school diploma.  That's about it.  There are a few other things that probably don't apply to you (like a homeschool can include the kids of that family plus the kids from one additional family, etc).  If you have questions, you can Google the NC Department of Nonpublic Instruction. :)

Quoting trendy2:

Most everyone I have talked to days my state (NC) is a hard state but my friend who HS her child here says that it's one of the easiet.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM
This

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Well, the same way anyone knows if you break other laws. You get caught. Just one nosy neighbor who catches your kids outside during school is all it takes to get the school superintendent calling you to see why you arent enrolled in school. Then getting in trouble for not reporting or whatever it is they require. Why risk it? I would just jump through whatever hoops I had to until I got back home.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Maybe it's the base, or branch?? My hubby is military too, and we were told that we could use our home of record (WI), the state we live in (WV), or even the state he works in (MD). We're using the state we live in to make things simpler (the board of ed is right down the road, makes it easy to deliver paper work). If he didn't have such messed up hours, I would've had him continue taking our daughter to the school she went to in K, and avoided the crap school here alltogether...

Quoting Silverkitty:

I was told we had to comply with the state we reside in.  I would so love to use our home of record state.

Quoting 101stwife:

From what I was told (my husband is military) we can use our home of record laws for homeschooling if we want. I don't though, this is our first full year and I am using the states that we reside in.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM

That depends on how long you are staying in the state. You can declare it visiting but it does get touchy. If you have to declare then yeah you can get into trouble with that one. Our local police know which kids are homeschoolers and are not shocked to see us walking down to the library at all hours.  They will question random teens who are walking around school for skipping classes though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN