Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
If a person were to choose to use their home state as the state they follow for HS laws vs the state they are living in for a few months? How would anyone know the difference?
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Replies (21-23):
Meadowchik
by New Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

From what I've read, the family of deployed military personell are exceptions to lots of residency rules, but other than that, the state you live in determines residency, and you are obligated by law to know the lass of the city, state, and country you are in and if you break them, tough nails.  So watch out ! ;)

Quoting No_Difference:

Maybe it's the base, or branch?? My hubby is military too, and we were told that we could use our home of record (WI), the state we live in (WV), or even the state he works in (MD). We're using the state we live in to make things simpler (the board of ed is right down the road, makes it easy to deliver paper work). If he didn't have such messed up hours, I would've had him continue taking our daughter to the school she went to in K, and avoided the crap school here alltogether...

Quoting Silverkitty:

I was told we had to comply with the state we reside in.  I would so love to use our home of record state.

Quoting 101stwife:

From what I was told (my husband is military) we can use our home of record laws for homeschooling if we want. I don't though, this is our first full year and I am using the states that we reside in.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM

So I looked up a bunch of stuff about military and homeschooling:
Home of record will not apply to a homeschooling family for mulitple reasons, the main one being, each state has it's own education department, it is not ...supposed to be... controlled by the federal government. Home of record also does not technically apply to spouses...for instance, the service member's taxes will reflect their home of record. If a spouse were to get a job in the state they currently reside in due to their service memeber's duty station, the spouses taxes would reflect that state, not their home of record state... Make sense?? (I'm trying to summarize, and my allergies are killing me, so I could be bombing horbily)  

"The federal government has no authority to make schooling laws so there is no legislation allowing home-of-record educational compliance for military dependents. Just as military children attending a local school are taught in accordance with the guidelines of the state of residence, so, too are military homeschoolers expected to comply with local laws."

http://home.roadrunner.com/~milhmschlhq/military_CONUS_hmschl.htm

This is from the DoDEA
http://www.dodea.edu/upload/02OD002.pdf

I'm still looking into this site though...I can't tell if its a school or just information or what the heck it is (it'd also be nice if the blurry vision from these insufferable allergies ceased enough for me to actually focus!!...sorry for the outburst)
http://www.dodea.edu/Pacific/offices/about.cfm

Here is for overseas homeschooling (not including Guam and Puerto Rico since they're considered common wealths)
http://home.roadrunner.com/~milhmschlhq/military_DoDEA.htm#Overseas homeschooling

Now, for the part of my last response where I could've kept my daughter in the MD school - she attended a public school yes, but as I was explained to, even if you lived on the other side of that city, and technically wouldn't fall into that distric, a military dependant could still attend that school because it was considered the "base school". We moved an hour away from base, which put us in a different state, but, agin from what I was told, our kids would still be allowed to go to that school since my husband is still stationed at that base.  Granted, we wouldn't use it anyway, but it would be nice to know if that were actually true or not? I don't know if most bases have schools on them, or if they have something set up with the local public schools... Ft Hood was the only large base hubby was ever stationed at and my daughter was too young to go to school while we were there so it never even crossed my mind to look into schools then... All of the others were rather tiny (as in it takes about 10 minutes tops to drive from one side to the other, including the housing area).

Quoting Meadowchik:

From what I've read, the family of deployed military personell are exceptions to lots of residency rules, but other than that, the state you live in determines residency, and you are obligated by law to know the lass of the city, state, and country you are in and if you break them, tough nails.  So watch out ! ;)

Quoting No_Difference:

Maybe it's the base, or branch?? My hubby is military too, and we were told that we could use our home of record (WI), the state we live in (WV), or even the state he works in (MD). We're using the state we live in to make things simpler (the board of ed is right down the road, makes it easy to deliver paper work). If he didn't have such messed up hours, I would've had him continue taking our daughter to the school she went to in K, and avoided the crap school here alltogether...

Quoting Silverkitty:

I was told we had to comply with the state we reside in.  I would so love to use our home of record state.

Quoting 101stwife:

From what I was told (my husband is military) we can use our home of record laws for homeschooling if we want. I don't though, this is our first full year and I am using the states that we reside in.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Meadowchik
by New Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Wow, it sure gets complicated doesn't it?  Kudos to you for staying on top of it, from the looks of it ;)

Quoting No_Difference:

So I looked up a bunch of stuff about military and homeschooling:
Home of record will not apply to a homeschooling family for mulitple reasons, the main one being, each state has it's own education department, it is not ...supposed to be... controlled by the federal government. Home of record also does not technically apply to spouses...for instance, the service member's taxes will reflect their home of record. If a spouse were to get a job in the state they currently reside in due to their service memeber's duty station, the spouses taxes would reflect that state, not their home of record state... Make sense?? (I'm trying to summarize, and my allergies are killing me, so I could be bombing horbily)  

"The federal government has no authority to make schooling laws so there is no legislation allowing home-of-record educational compliance for military dependents. Just as military children attending a local school are taught in accordance with the guidelines of the state of residence, so, too are military homeschoolers expected to comply with local laws."

http://home.roadrunner.com/~milhmschlhq/military_CONUS_hmschl.htm

This is from the DoDEA
http://www.dodea.edu/upload/02OD002.pdf

I'm still looking into this site though...I can't tell if its a school or just information or what the heck it is (it'd also be nice if the blurry vision from these insufferable allergies ceased enough for me to actually focus!!...sorry for the outburst)
http://www.dodea.edu/Pacific/offices/about.cfm

Here is for overseas homeschooling (not including Guam and Puerto Rico since they're considered common wealths)
http://home.roadrunner.com/~milhmschlhq/military_DoDEA.htm#Overseas homeschooling

Now, for the part of my last response where I could've kept my daughter in the MD school - she attended a public school yes, but as I was explained to, even if you lived on the other side of that city, and technically wouldn't fall into that distric, a military dependant could still attend that school because it was considered the "base school". We moved an hour away from base, which put us in a different state, but, agin from what I was told, our kids would still be allowed to go to that school since my husband is still stationed at that base.  Granted, we wouldn't use it anyway, but it would be nice to know if that were actually true or not? I don't know if most bases have schools on them, or if they have something set up with the local public schools... Ft Hood was the only large base hubby was ever stationed at and my daughter was too young to go to school while we were there so it never even crossed my mind to look into schools then... All of the others were rather tiny (as in it takes about 10 minutes tops to drive from one side to the other, including the housing area).

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting 101stwife:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN