Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Exiting public school

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 14 Replies
Three more days and my son is through. Do I withdraw him and request his records this week or wait until the new year? I'm a little confused because I'm supposed to report HS status 10 days after we start which will be August and it seems like he'd be in limbo all summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

NO! 

You are to follow your states regulations.. Which state do you live in..

EX:

I live in New York State. So I am required to file my letter of intent by July 1st. 

Which I will be doing. soon

click this link to find your states regulations!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Louisiana.

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

NO! 

EX:

I live in New York State. So I am required to file my letter of intent by July 1st. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

The third level up, are the states which have moderate regulations. Not only do these states require written parental notification, but they also require state standardized test scores and professional evaluation of the homeschooling students' performance. Theoretically, if the district within which the homeschooling family resides felt, after this testing and evaluation, that the homeschool was not fulfilling its legal requirement to educate the student to the state's standards, they could revoke that family's right to homeschool. These states are not considered overly homeschooler-friendly. This is the most popular level of homeschooling regulation in our country, as there are currently 20 states which implement this program: Washington, Oregon, Colorado, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, New Hampshire, Maine, and Hawaii.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Louisiana.

Quoting HopeJoyPeace1:

NO! 

EX:

HopeJoyPeace1
by on May. 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Here are your state's specific Homeschool regulations!

Sorry hun you are in one of the tougher states!

Louisiana

Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between 7 and 18th. (§ 17:221(A))

Required Days of Instruction: 180 days. (§ 17:236)

Required Subjects: A "curriculum of a quality at least equal to that offered by public schools at the same grade level," (§ 17:236), including the Declaration of    Independence (elementary) and the Federalist Papers (high school). (§ 17:268)

Teacher Qualifications: None.

Standardized Tests: Parents have three options which only apply if the home school is operating under the home school law. (§ 17:236.1(D)) A renewal application "shall be approved" if (in lieu of submitting the materials mentioned below):
   1. child receives passing score on the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (LEAP) test; 
   2. or the child scored at or above his grade level on a California Achievement Test or other standardized test approved by the board or has "progressed at a rate equal to one grade level for each year in [the] home study program;" 
   3. or a teacher certified to teach at the child's grade level writes a statement that the child "is being taught in accordance with a sustained curriculum of quality at least  equal to public schools" or "at least equal to that offered by public schools to a child of similar disabilities."

Home Schoolers have two options:

Option 1: Home School Statute. (§ 17:236). "[A] child who participates in a home study program approved by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education" is exempt from the compulsory attendance law. To qualify, home school parents must comply with the following: 
   1. Parents must apply to the Board of Education for approval of the home study program within fifteen days after commencement. (§ 17:236.1(A)) 
   2. "The initial application…or renewal application, shall be approved if the parent certifies that the home study program will offer a sustained curriculum of quality at least equal to that offered by public schools." (§ 17:236.1(B)). The initial application must include a certified copy of the child's birth certificate This, however, is not required for the renewal. 
   3. A renewal application must be submitted by Oct. 1 of the school year or twelve months after initial approval, whichever is later. (§ 17:236.1(A)). 
   4. A renewal application "shall be approved" if the parents submit "satisfactory evidence that the program has in fact offered a sustained curriculum of quality at least equal to that offered by public schools at the same grade level." Parents must  submit "with the renewal application a packet of materials which includes such documents as":
       (a) a complete outline of each subject taught,
       (b) a list of books and materials, 
       (c) copies of the student's work,
       (d) copies of standardized tests, 
       (e) statements of third parties who have observed the child's progress.
            (§ 17:236.1(C)(1))
 The phrase "shall be approved" removes the board's arbitrary discretion in the approval process.

Option 2: Home-based Private Schools (L.R.S. § 17:236) (Home-based Private Schools) 
  1. A home school can operate as a private school in lieu of the above, if it meets the following requirements: 
       (a) has an "adequate physical plant" (i.e., a home);
       (b) has "instructional staff members" (i.e., parents);
       (c) operates 180 days; 
       (d) receives no Federal or State funds, "either directly or indirectly;" 
       (e) "shall meet such requirements as prescribed by the school or the church;" and
      (f) meets the definition of school: "an institution for the teaching of children." The Department of Education unofficially recognizes that home schools fit this definition and accepts annual reports from home-based private schools.
  2. Such home-based private schools which receive no local, state, or federal funds and must "report to the state Department of Education their total attendance as of the 30th day of their school term..." (§ 17:232(c)) 
  3. Students who are withdrawn from public school during the school year, or who attended public school the year before enrolling in a private school, must provide a written notification of enrollment to the public school he attended within 10 days of enrollment. This notification must include: 
       (a) Student's legal name; 
       (b) Date of birth; 
       (c) Gender; and 
       (d) Race. 
       (e) In addition, the notification may include a request for the student's transcript.  (§ 17:221.3)

Reference: Click Here

Louisianna State High School Graduation Requirements:
  • English units:  4. English I, II, and III, in consecutive order; and English IV or Business English.Eff. Class of 2012: Louisiana Core 4: 4th unit must be English IV. Louisiana Core: 4th unit must be English IV or Senior Applications in English
  • Math units: 3  ( Eff. Class of 2012: 4 units,LA Core 4: Algebra I, geometry, Algebra II, plus 4th unit chosen from state-approved lis,tLA Core: Algebra I, geometry, plus 2 units chosen from state-approved list).
  • Social studies units: 3. Must include American History, .5 unit of Civics, .5 unit of Free Enterprise; and one of the following: World History, World Geography, or Western Civilization.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ( Eff. Class of 2012: ,LA Core 4: 4 ,LA Core: 3 (see notes)  Eff. Class of 2012: LA Core 4: Must include .5 unit of Civics; .5 unit of Free Enterprise; 1 unit U.S. History; 1 unit chosen from world history, world geography, western civilization, or AP European History; 1 unit selected from state-approved list. LA Core: Same as pre-2012 although AP alternatives to standard courses specified).
  • Science units: 3. Must include 1 unit biology. ( Eff.Class of 2012: LA Core 4: 4 units, incl. 1 unit each biology and chemistry,LA Core: 3 units, incl. 1 unit biology).
  • P.E./Health units: 2. 5 unit health and 1.5 units p.e.
  • Arts: 0 ( Eff. Class of 2012: ,LA Core 4: 1 (although student completing career/technical area of concentration may substitute industry-based certification-related course for arts unit),LA Core: 0).
  • Foreign language: 0 ( Eff. Class of 2012: LA Core 4: 2 units of 1 foreign language or 2 speech courses).
  • Electives units: 8 ( Eff. Class of 2012: LA Core 4: 3,LA Core: 8).
  • Other units: 0

TOTAL # units: 23  ( Eff. Class of 2012: 24
)
Other diploma options.  State offers honors/college prep and technical curriculum options and proficiency-based credit option. 
Techinal Notes and citations: Eff. Class of 2012: All students must complete the Louisiana Core 4 Curriculum, unless the student, student's parent and school counselor (or other staff member who assists in course selection) agree after the student completes two years of high school that the student should complete the Louisiana Core Curriculum instead.

LA. ADMIN CODE tit. 28, pt. CXV, § 2319, 2321, 2325

Important Note: State Graduation requirements are not necessarily the best guideline for homeschoolers to use. They have been included here as a guideline for what a typical public school student would need to complete in order to graduate.

A more important guideline may be the College Entrance requirements for where your student would like to attend college. While colleges have differing requirements, there are many colleges that publish requirements for homeschool graduates.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Which option have you chosen?
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Nonaccredited private school.

Quoting Dawn07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I'm editing to rephrase myself. On his last day of school you can give the public school their notice and ask for his transcripts then.
For your letter you can send it in a few weeks before, so you aren't waiting till the last minute. In the letter it will have your start date, so they will know.

Quoting Bluecalm:Nonaccredited private school.

Quoting Dawn07:

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM
You mean the letter informing the state I have a private school? How do they cross reference the info when I only have to report the number of students I teach? Do you think it's ok to mention in the letter that I'm a certified teacher?

Quoting Dawn07:

I'm editing to rephrase myself. On his last day of school you can give the public school their notice and ask for his transcripts then.

For your letter you can send it in a few weeks before, so you aren't waiting till the last minute. In the letter it will have your start date, so they will know.

Quoting Bluecalm:Nonaccredited private school.

Quoting Dawn07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Lots of good info! I'm going to save all these links.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN