Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question about meeting standards

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM
  • 5 Replies

So we are a military family. We'll most likely start formally homeschooling (my daughter will begin kindergarten) while we are overseas, then we'll move back to the United States a few years after that. We'll be using an accredited distance learning school (Laurel Springs) that meets California state standards, which is where that school is formally based.

So here's my question-- if we live in, say, Washington state or Florida, will we be required to produce additional material to meet the standards of the state in which we are residing? Or since our school is meeting California state standards, will we be okay? Also, I'm not sure if there is any exemption or clause for military families.

Any feedback is appreciated-- thank you!

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM
If your students are enrolled in an accredited program, they are technically enrolled and you should be covered. You wouldn't "technically" fall under home schooling laws.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Using Laurel Springs is technically using a private school.  Will you be sending school work for others to grade?

As for military regulations about homeschoolers.  I've been homeschooling my daughter since she started school, we were in Las Vegas at the time.  We used the laws of the state we are residing in instead of our state that is home of record.  Why?  Because all the states are different and the military instalation does not regulate homeschooling or public schooling, it just provides what is necessary for the families.

Now if you were overseas homeschooling, you would follow the state of record for homeschool laws.  

I find it slightly annoying, but since we are not living in AZ, and the laws there say we have to file with the school board our children are zoned for.  It's just easier to follow SC state law for the time being.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM
This

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

If your students are enrolled in an accredited program, they are technically enrolled and you should be covered. You wouldn't "technically" fall under home schooling laws.
katinahat
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Gotcha, thank you!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

katinahat
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Yes, they'll have at least one teacher at the school who works with me to direct their learning and grade their work. It's a little frustrating to think of having to change the standards and flip everything around every 2-3 years when we move and switch states, so I was definitely a little worried! Good to know about overseas, though-- thank you :)

Quoting Silverkitty:

Using Laurel Springs is technically using a private school.  Will you be sending school work for others to grade?

As for military regulations about homeschoolers.  I've been homeschooling my daughter since she started school, we were in Las Vegas at the time.  We used the laws of the state we are residing in instead of our state that is home of record.  Why?  Because all the states are different and the military instalation does not regulate homeschooling or public schooling, it just provides what is necessary for the families.

Now if you were overseas homeschooling, you would follow the state of record for homeschool laws.  

I find it slightly annoying, but since we are not living in AZ, and the laws there say we have to file with the school board our children are zoned for.  It's just easier to follow SC state law for the time being.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)