Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you knew then, what you know now

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 31 Replies

If you knew then what you know now about homeschooling when you first started, what would you have done differently? 

Would it be a different style? Curriculum? 

by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I probably would have started Aiden out homeschooling. I wish I would have just did that from the beginning. I hate myself for listening to all the stigma and worrying that I wouldn't be good enough.

On the other side; I wouldn't have bought the Hooked ON Phonics: Hooked on Math program. It really isn't for my kids and now I am trying to sell it. I also probably would have really researched reading programs before buying the Hooked On Phonics set. I don't think it's horrible but it's definitely not complete enough. I am supplementing now.
Knightquester
by on May. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I would probably only change a few things for my third child, but outside that I wouldn't change very much.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Oh sheesh. I've only been at this two years but I'd have changed a lot. I wouldn't have accumulated so much curriculum and manipulatives for sure! My house is overflowing with stuff to sell that cost me way too much. I'd have also started with the Waldorf method instead of going classical/Charlotte mason. Hmmm, what else....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I would have done year 3 and part of year 4 different. That was when my son was in K and 1st.

coala
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I would not have changed much.  I wouldn't have been so hard on my oldest to get it "right the first time".  I have been a little more at ease with my youngest.  I like the curriculum that we have chosen, but we may change it for the younger one next year based on her needs.  I have to find something that is going to challenge her.

usmom3
by BJ on May. 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have never tried to push learning with my younger 2 at all. Every time I did it would make them shy away from learning anything, but when I backed off & left it all in their hands they started learning tons of stuff that I didn't even know they where paying attention to.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I would have used our furiture budget to buy our lapdesks and bean bags and a soft couch for our classroom.  We now have 3 huge desks that rarely get used and no space for the couch we want.  It took us over a year to buy lapdesks, but they get used every single day!

oredeb
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

hmmm, i cant think of any thing differnt i would do,

when i first started there wasnt any curr available for me, so i  had to make my own and have done it ever since(unit studies) but sure am thankful for all the books, internet and such that are available nowdays!

ive stuck to the same math programs and lang. arts programs since i first started

FootballFan12
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

That is actually interesting because I was looking at the Hooked on Phonics program myself. This helps me so much to know this.

Quoting chotovec82:

I probably would have started Aiden out homeschooling. I wish I would have just did that from the beginning. I hate myself for listening to all the stigma and worrying that I wouldn't be good enough.

On the other side; I wouldn't have bought the Hooked ON Phonics: Hooked on Math program. It really isn't for my kids and now I am trying to sell it. I also probably would have really researched reading programs before buying the Hooked On Phonics set. I don't think it's horrible but it's definitely not complete enough. I am supplementing now.

FootballFan12
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I am fighting the urge to buy everything I think I may need and we haven't even started yet. 

So you would've preferred Waldorf...

Quoting Boobah:

Oh sheesh. I've only been at this two years but I'd have changed a lot. I wouldn't have accumulated so much curriculum and manipulatives for sure! My house is overflowing with stuff to sell that cost me way too much. I'd have also started with the Waldorf method instead of going classical/Charlotte mason. Hmmm, what else....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN