Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons

Posted by   + Show Post
I have a first grader whom I started homeschooling this year. The public school he was in let him get behind in reading. For instance he couldn't read a lick by the end of it. They were doing sight words and skipping words and guessing. He didn't learn any phonics. I bought Hooked on Phonics and started him on the Kindergarten program during the summer. He did make a ton of progress however he is still not at grade level. I bought the book, Teach Your Child How To Read in 100 Easy Lessons," for my younger son and considered restarting Aiden (oldest DS) as well. So now I am unsure because the book says not to use for struggling readers. I thought that if I started him all over using this method then he would at least get up to grade level. Has other people started this book when their child was struggling? Did it work? Do you think it's a bad idea to start him over using this book. Input is appreciated.
by on May. 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Replies (11-11):
oredeb
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

sounds like my son!! but like i said above what worked for us is i took a whole year(we ususally take summers off) and we did the reading thing every day and it finally clicked for him and he does great now, even though readings not his favorite thing to do, we took turns reading to each other, he even read to his sisters, and they'd take turns, we got everyone involved that year!

his wife says he will read a book every once in a while now!

Quoting chotovec82:

He doesn't seem to mind reading; it's just that he stumbles often over words that I feel like he should know by now. I check out of the library a bunch of very boyish books to help keep him occupied with it. He didn't mind the HOP program (however I had a hard time sticking to it so it might be failing because of me). I'm just gonna try and work harder with him. He is doing so great in everything else. He whizzes through math, loves grammar, enjoys spanish, loves science and history- it's just reading. I don't want to fail him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)