Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Socializing and Other Reasons To Not Homeschool

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is 3 and we are heavily considering homeschooling.  Then I hear it from all over the place, it seems. 

"Your child needs to be socialized."  What does that even mean?  I hear it all the time!  Is there a chart of comparison that will tell me that my kid can't communicate to other kids as well school kids do?  Has anyone experienced their child not being as well versed in "socilization?"  Should I really send a kid to school with the hopes that the school will teach her how to speak politely and sweetly?  I don't know how to counter this accusation.

"Pre School and Head Start have shown that they really give kids an advanced start."  How can I match that when I have no studies showing that I can give my kid an equally good head start!?  Is teaching my kid to sit in a circle on a carpet a real "advanced start" or is there more to PreK than learning to stand in line?

"It's so hard to do."  I've heard that if you teach your kids to educate themselves and love learning (not to make that sound easy) that it's really no more challenging than what I do daily as a SAHM, just different.  Can anyone back me on that?

Any input and your counter reasons to these oh-so-common complaints I hear would be so awesome!

Could I pack up you ladies and travel with me!  I do feel very encouraged by your responses.  I'm also glad that everyone else seems to have met this "Challenge" and overcome it.  Thank you all for so much support and encouragement against the naysayers.

by on May. 22, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Your child needs socialized.- My dd7 has social issues, she did not know how to make friends.  In school they did not teach her that.  For the last year and a quarter we have been working on social skills and how she talks to people and making new friends.  She is doing amazing.   She can talk to anyone of any age and be polite and not have to hang on to them to feel like she is getting their attention.

Preschool and headstart are great programs, my 2nd dd attended for 2 years.  My oldest for a few months.  It is not for everyone and you can teach what they teach in your home.  They mostly teach a child how to sit and do school, which for homeschool is not necessary.  But they do work on the Alphabet, writing their names, exploring nature, making friends, and recognising numbers. 

Homeschooling can be hard.  I know there are days I want to quite.  I am responsible for keeping up with where all 4 kids are, I have a 3 and 4 year old also, and what we learned and where we are going.  I also have to keep up with what we have already done.  I keep track of grades and have to stay organized.  However, it is well worth it.  I am able to learn with them and the joy of seeing them learn is more than enough. 

How we combat never getting a break from each other is very simple, I still have all the kids take a hour and a half nap (time for them to sleep, read or play quitely in their rooms). 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm thankful that my kids learn social cues from the adults around them, who hopefully have things figured out rather than the loudest, most obnoxious kid in class. And if my kids were any more sociable, they'd be running for office!

its NOT hard to do, but if can be overwhelming. 

Momof697
by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

As for the socializing concern my rebuttle is socialization means to be like society I do not want my child to be like society. and as far as getting together with other people my children will be with siblings all day long, they will be able to talk to (hold an intelligent conversation) with 80 yo and play with babies. To me that is what I want my kids to be able to do not only talk, play with others their age.

Pre preschool is done at home (how many kids do not know how to sing the alphabet, count, and spell their name )before going to school?  So if you can do Pre preschool you are already giving your child a headstart why not continue. I see until 1st grade as can you do it years? can you work with your child and teach them, will they learn, can you keep your house running? And you probably can since you have already been teaching them so many things, like drinking from a cup, walking, using spoon and fork to feed herself, using a toilet, playing nicely, being a friend, you probably even taught some poetry and music with nursery rhyms and songs, you have probably done art together while coloring. I say you have already been a great homeschool teacher why not keep it up.

It is hard to do but since you have already been teaching her is it any harder than not being with your beloved child all day, not being able to take them to a park when you feel like you just want to get out of the house. I thought it woould be harder to have my child be gone longer from my house than most adults are gone for work. My kids would ride a bus with highschoolers and I did not think I wanted some highschoolers teaching my KDGTNer some new words, phrases, ideas etc. Plus I do not believe the way the school so I do not want them telling my child what to believe either.

Hopes this helps,

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM
My children in drill team dancing for my preschool two children all the niece and nephews is always he doing school with them. I am paying my son to put tile on my floor on the porch and his god brother want to him we are teaching our children about money and how to fix things keeping money in his pocket keeping a job on time for work but you have to be good at school

Quoting WildPowerMom:

My daughter is 3 and we are heavily considering homeschooling.  Then I hear it from all over the place, it seems. 

"Your child needs to be socialized."  What does that even mean?  I hear it all the time!  Is there a chart of comparison that will tell me that my kid can't communicate to other kids as well school kids do?  Has anyone experienced their child not being as well versed in "socilization?"  Should I really send a kid to school with the hopes that the school will teach her how to speak politely and sweetly?  I don't know how to counter this accusation.

"Pre School and Head Start have shown that they really give kids an advanced start."  How can I match that when I have no studies showing that I can give my kid an equally good head start!?  Is teaching my kid to sit in a circle on a carpet a real "advanced start" or is there more to PreK than learning to stand in line?

"It's so hard to do."  I've heard that if you teach your kids to educate themselves and love learning (not to make that sound easy) that it's really no more challenging than what I do daily as a SAHM, just different.  Can anyone back me on that?

Any input and your counter reasons to these oh-so-common complaints I hear would be so awesome!

happinessforyou
by on May. 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM

IDK- I think most moms could HS and do a good job for pre-k and k. It's the whole high school chemistry and trig thing that I doubt. GL

LavenderMom23
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM

1. Kids get detention for 'socializing' in school. That is litterally what the school says is the problem.

2. Head start does show that it fails after 2 nd grade, not long term.

3. It's hard? Teachers are always complaining parent's aren't involved, parents aren't doing enough. Plus that homework time at home is the same amount I homeschool my kids in at the table, not counting field trips and church and american heritage girls (we're joining this winter cause we just started hs). 

QueenCreole313
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I think it's amazing that our society is only worried about socialization. It's the first and often only question people ask.
Aren't you worried about socialization?
My answer is short and sweet NO!

Anyone who knows my son know he has no problem carrying on a conversation with anyone. He is highly intelligent and knows how to articulate his ideas very well. So after I introduce him to people and they see him for themselves. They shut up.

I wish people would ask more questions about how it's possible. What we are learning. What I believe as an educator. But of course I'm stuck educating strangers on the apparent lack of social skills hey think my homeschooler will have. (Sigh)
arwalters
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Ugh yes, this is so aggravating. My kid is 4, gets 2-3 playdates a week, he's plenty social, not shy at all. I'm teaching him (mostly through natural play and interaction, but also "schoolwork stuff" way more than he would learn in prek and I've had my closest friend straight up say she disapproves, that he needs to be socialized. So ridiculous
Walnutgrovefarm
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My 12y/o was in ps until 2nd grade. The socialization comes in so many different areas and ages for hs kids. One of my son's closests friends is an 86 year old man that is able to tell him stories about his life when he was young. He also has friends still in ps that he spends time with also in art classes, sunday school, and friends kids. If someone wants to send there kids to ps just to socialize, remember it's not all good socialization in ps. A lot is bullying. I want to make my child have a confidence in who he is and to be strong in himself and to learn that he needs to be with his parents at home.

CatFishMom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Look up the definition of socialization and tell them you want nothing to do with it. Then toss in the dozens of classes, co-ops, and opportunties your children have as homeschoolers to socialize.

Get studies showing just how well homeschooled kids do, because theyre out there. My four year old is on a kindergarten/first grade level-well beyond anything some stupid head start program could have given him teaching him ABC's and shapes that he learned by eighteen months. Better yet, just shrug and prove them wrong.

Hard is a relative term. Everything in life is difficult when you first begin. I read stories about people fighting with their kids about homework, with teachers, with this and that-I dont have to deal with any of it. So, while some aspects are 'hard,' youre only trading one set of difficulties for another. Public school is just as 'hard', only in different ways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)